Musicians You've Met (Or Want to Meet)
What metal musicians have you already met at gigs or elsewhere (if you're even lucky)?

I've already met John Gallagher (Raven Dying Fetus), OldNick (Ceremonial Castings), and Will Carroll (Death Angel). I thought all three of them were nice and respectful people, so I haven't yet come across well-known musicians that were SNOBS.

I've also spoken with Jim Barraza (ex-Cirith Ungol) several times. He had some good stories to tell, which I enjoyed.
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
I have never met a musician but I would like to meet Geddy Lee.
Smile met some!

Nick mcBrain
Doro
WASP 97´s crew (blackie n Chris)
Manowar
Timo Tolkki
David Defeis
Ralph s.
Mat sinner
Angra
there are thoses I can remember without .... thinking hhahahhahahahahah
HARD & HEAVY METAL HITS RADIO

Playing the Best Hard Rock, Melodic Rock, AOR, Heavy Metal, NWOBHM, Power Metal, Speed Metal & Thrash Metal
Because of my job, I've met lots of them and talked to much much more.

I would like to meet and talk to Tony Iommi, but I don't think this will ever happen...
I have only met Uli Roth. Really cool guy, but I was too nervous to really say much to him!
I met about few musicians before (including the Goatwhore concert i went to) and i had a good talk with them.

The whole goatwhore band member:

Sammy Duet
Louis Benjamin Falgoust II
Zack Simmons
James Harvey

I forgot the other ones i met before but that all the musician i met before.
My band projects: Bloody Rage (Extreme Metal, Crust/Hardcore/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
I've met all of Raven's current incarnation: Joe and Mark Gallagher, Joe Hasselvander.

Bobby Liebling after a Pentagram show 4 or so years ago.

King Fowley, Ape de Martini from Oz
Meeting many people but Mark Shelton especially.
When Manilla Road came play here.
I wanted to, and I met John and Mark Gallgher (Raven) as well...
really nice guys! signed my poster I purchased at their show, but the bouncers threw us out before I can get a picture with them.

I haven't spoken to, but I've sat across Lemmy Kilmister at the Rainbow bar n' grill several times...

as for musicians I wanna meet...
Messiah Marcolin, Tom Angelripper, Kim McAuliffe, and Conrad (Cronos) Lant
Many through the years:

Savage Thrust
Nasty Savage
Executioner (US)
Saxon
Motorhead
Voivod
Destruction
The Mentors
Razor
Sacrifice
Anvil
Girlschool (Kim and Denise only)
Criminal
Raven
Vader
Naplam Death
Kreator
Nashville Pussy
Kim Fowley
Artillery
At War
Mostly all the Tampa bands too many to name
Only met a couple guys from Flotsam and Jetsam. Talked with a lot of local bands, but never really got many chances to talk with any other well known bands. I did meet the megadeth So far so good so what lineup during a autograph thing they had before the show at a record store but didn't get to talk to them.

If there was one I could meet and talk to, it would be King Diamond. I'd pick Dio over anyone though if he were still alive.
Ones that stand out include:
Matt Pike from High on Fire, who is the sweetest dude. He's given me a hug on multiple occasions without even knowing anything about me other than that I am a fan.
Karl Simon from The Gates of Slumber/Wretch. A really humble guy who does not get the recognition he deserves.
All the guys in Slayer. There's not much to say about this, but Araya gave my friend some shit for getting a lyric wrong on a banner he made.
Mark Shelton from Manilla Road. I think he was sick that night... didn't really seem overly enthusiastic about mingling. But it doesn't matter, he was still a gentleman and a scholar, one of my true heroes in life.

Artists who I would love to meet:

Tom G. Warrior
Any of the Cirith Ungol guys
Ross the Boss
Lemmy (DUH)
Alex Lifeson
I have met plenty of musicians but my fave encounter was mothafuckin' Lemmy! I almost went insane during meet and greet. He's very nice but doesn't fuck around.
Lay down your soul to the gods rock `n' roll!
I met Kreator, they were very chill and nice. They signed my sketchbook lol
Sometime in 2013 or 2014, I met George Lynch of Dokken. He was doing a guitar clinic at one of my local music stores. I took a picture with him. He was a real nice guy and he was nice enough to sign anything you brought. He didn't sign anything for me though since I didn't have anything for him to sign.

I met Rob Barrett of Cannibal Corpse briefly in October 2015. He was a cool guy, I sadly didn't take a picture with him though. It was at the end of a Cannibal Corpse show in Poughkeepsie, NY. One day, I hope to meet the rest of CC.

Does this count too? Musicians I've met and talked to online. I have met Luc Lemay (Gorguts) and Bill Steer in a chatroom back in the mid 2000's. I have met Dave Mustaine in the official Megadeth chatroom over 6 years ago. I've communicated with Kelly Shaefer via email.

I've met some cool musicians in my lifetime and I know I'll meet more as time goes by. Smile
I have met Tony Lazaro and Jason Keyser from Origin, both great guys.
I've talked to tons online, so I will only list the ones I have talked to in person.

The guys in Artillery
Eric AK from Flotsam and Jetsam
Dan Lilker from Nuclear Assault / Anthrax
Ripper Owens
Gene Hoglan

maybe some more that I am forgetting
I was hoping to meet Gene Hoglan in 2012 when I saw Testament play a show with Anthrax and Death Angel. I even brought my cassette of Dark Angel's Darkness Descends for him to sign. Unfortunate that I couldn't get the chance to meet him.
I actually got to talk to him quite a bit at the Milwaukee Metalfest because SYL was playing (a band that I can't stand). I got to ask him a lot of my DARK ANGEL fanboy questions. Unfortunately I didn't have anything for him to sign.
(07-12-2016, 07:44 AM)Temple of Blood Wrote: I actually got to talk to him quite a bit at the Milwaukee Metalfest because SYL was playing (a band that I can't stand). I got to ask him a lot of my DARK ANGEL fanboy questions. Unfortunately I didn't have anything for him to sign.
Nice that you got to ask him a lot about Dark Angel. I'm also of the opinion that Strapping Young Lad and anything else that involves Devin Townsend is absolute shit.
(07-12-2016, 02:56 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Nice that you got to ask him a lot about Dark Angel. I'm also of the opinion that Strapping Young Lad and anything else that involves Devin Townsend is absolute shit.

I pretty much agree although I will say that VAI's "Sex and Religion" is excellent from start to finish if you come to it with an open mind and give it a chance to grow on you. Devin's vocals are excellent.

I asked him if he had played in any metal bands lately and he said "Strapping" and I thought "Oh ..... yeah .....". I probably inadvertently insulted him. I just knew he hadn't played in Dark Angel, Death, Testament, or anyone good in years.
(07-12-2016, 03:45 PM)Temple of Blood Wrote: I pretty much agree although I will say that VAI's "Sex and Religion" is excellent from start to finish if you come to it with an open mind and give it a chance to grow on you. Devin's vocals are excellent.
I'll probably give it a few spins, although I'm going to admit that I'm not even that much of a Steve Vai fan. I don't listen to rock as much as I used to.
(07-12-2016, 10:31 PM)Painkiller Wrote: I'll probably give it a few spins, although I'm going to admit that I'm not even that much of a Steve Vai fan. I don't listen to rock as much as I used to.

I'm not a big Vai fan either, but I love that album. He's never done anything else like it.
A few more I forgot about:

Iron Maiden - Twice,first time was on the Powerslave tour,I snuck backstage and met Bruce and Steve for a bit as I was tossed out after some security nerd I had it out with earlier seen my ass and went after me,next time would be on The X Factor tour,and this meeting was by mistake as I decided to hit another exit door after the show but this led to a patio the venue had and as soon as I went out there, the whole band was there except Steve as he was sick so he was on the bus,I never got any pics unfortunately.

Mercyful Fate - Only Kim Ruzz at L'Amour in Brooklyn,he was the only one from the band that actually hung with the crowd for a bit.
I had a chance to meet KD a few years later,as I was walking by Tower Records in NYC,I seen this huge line of metalheads and wondered what was happening and they told me that KD was doing a meet and greet but it was getting late and if I got in line now there was no guarantee so I left and went on to some show I was going to.

Vanilla Fudge - Meeting legendary drummer Carmine Appice and the rest of the original line up was something I never expected and man for a band from the sixties these guys killed it,If you never heard this band they did some pretty heavy shit for their time,my ex took the pics and never gave them to me, bitch!
Wow, that's cool that you met Vanilla Fudge. From what I understand they were influential to those who saw them live but didn't break out with any big hits.
(07-14-2016, 07:00 AM)Temple of Blood Wrote: Wow, that's cool that you met Vanilla Fudge. From what I understand they were influential to those who saw them live but didn't break out with any big hits.

They only had that one hit "Keep Me Hangin On" but that was kinda to heavy compared to the original so it didn't break them through ,there was so much more,some older guy I knew got me into them and he had all the good shit and what sucks is that you see all these best of releases but everything that is good isn't on them even to this day you would think the files for these tracks would be around just to make my own compilation but that's even hard.
There are a lot of musicians I'd love to meet; all from metal and AOR.
Right now, I'll add Kane Roberts to the list of who I want to meet.

Talk gaming, (guy's a game programmer too) fitness and his axe skill. Big Grin
Unfortunately I haven't met any musician yet. Sad
The one I most would like to meet is Kai Hansen, my biggest idol in heavy metal.
"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"
I met a few musicians IRL; a friend of mine who is a self-taught drummer; college friend. 5 other guys who were a band; complete set who played death metal in Cannibal Corpse style.

However, I met more musicians online; mostly on Facebook; I had 2x accounts (the first one was banned) but I met 3 musicians on #1; one guitarist/vocalist in an underground Chilean MDM band Dishearthed; one rhythm guitarist whose band Dagger of Betrayal (GR) shared the stage with one of my top 10 bands: Nightrage (GR) and the 3rd one is lead guitarist in T.A.N.K (FR) (Think of a New Kind) All these bands are underground and are pretty good.

On my current account; I met only 1 musician; vocalist on Subliminal Fear (ITA) also pretty good MDM with industrial twists.

On who I'd like to meet; too much to name but Kane Roberts, (US) Paul DiAnno, (UK) Udo Dirkschneider (DE) Stan Bush, (US) the entire Crimson Shadows, (CA) ACCEPT (DE) Iron Maiden (UK) Razor, (CA) Scar Symmetry (SE) and Voices of Ruin (US) lineups are on the top of my head.
I would love to meet James Hetfield and tell him to get this anger back from the 80's. Jesus, they're a bunch of pussies now.
I also want to talk to Andy Larocque, he's awesome.
Forgot to mention Lee Ving,I met him a few times, first time I seen the band I was hanging back stage with him and Spit Stix as well,I always kick myself for never getting a pic with him as I seen the band a few times and the time I was ready he was in all out fuck off mode as something happened at the club they were playing at,I could tell he was pissed just because of the way the songs were being played,no breaks just lets get this done and get the fuck out,as soon as it was over I went outside looking for him and when I saw him,he was driving the van and you could see the look in his eyes he didn't want to talk to anybody,they loaded their gear and he peeled out of there,haha they never played there again which is fine by me because I hated that place as well.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention I have met various local musicians and I communicated with Alex Webster once or twice in the same chatroom I communicated with Luc Lemay and Bill Steer.
Met Nathan Weaver of Wolves in the Throne Room outside of the Echoplex, where I saw them live with Pillorian. I told him I liked Celestite, and he was like "Thanks, not a lot of people liked it." lol
I met Angelcorpse a few months ago. Fangirled out a bit.
I met several at NW Metalfest the other day when I was in Seattle. Michael Podrybau (Glacier), Paul Davidson (ex-Heir Apparent), Lorraine Gill (Taist of Iron), Jym Harris (Cruella, ex-Sylent Storm, BloodMoon Warning), and Jonny Haynes and Max Nazaryan (Substratum). I've already met Substratum vocalist Amy Lee Carlson in the past, but the band wasn't as established then as they are now.

Speaking of Substratum, the guitarists were absolutely cool people to talk to, and they went out of their way to give me their two latest CDs to complement my acquisition of the self-titled debut album, which they saw as more of a stepping stone. I'm inclined to agree, because they've come quite a long way since their 2015 demo, which I reviewed a few years ago. Here's a band that you should be supporting! Hand
I talk to Ilias “Thanatoid” Kyriazis of Crucifier (vocals) on Facebook often.
The point of this thread is meeting actual people in the flesh. You can talk to pretty much anyone on the Internet. That cheapens the experience.
(Trying not to fanboy...)

Personally, I'd love to sit down and have a beer (erm, vodka) with Val Gaina of Kruiz and talk about the 80s Soviet metal scene. I'd think he'd be a good choice seeing how he was playing before the Glastnost rise and left the country when the scene started to move towards extreme metal on privatized labels. Not only that, but I'm curious how his then girlfriend helped him write the English lyrics to their international s/t album.
(03-21-2018, 01:14 AM)Metalmaniaxe Wrote: (Trying not to fanboy...)

Personally, I'd love to sit down and have a beer (erm, vodka) with Val Gaina of Kruiz and talk about the 80s Soviet metal scene. I'd think he'd be a good choice seeing how he was playing before the Glastnost rise and left the country when the scene started to move towards extreme metal on privatized labels.  Not only that, but I'm curious how his then girlfriend helped him write the English lyrics to their international s/t album.

Could be like ACCEPT's RaW; Wolf Hofmann's wife co-wrote the lyrics there.
If and when I brave it and actually take a vacation in Japan, I'd really like to meet some of the prominent musicians from my favorite Japanese metal bands.

Kazue Akao from Terra Rosa and Kruberablinka would probably be the most immediate person to meet in person, as she's always so communicative in English.

I'd probably also be able to meet Crowley drummer Hiro Shiga, as he lived in the United States at one point.

I could also visit Blaze guitarist Hisashi Suzuki's record store and hang out with the man. I know TadakatsuH0nda got to meet him last year.
I'd love to meet Tom Angelripper from Sodom.
I actually don't really enjoy meeting people from bands that I like. I don't really have anything to say? "Hey, I like your music." There needs to be a quantifiable distance between the musician and the fan I think. Something along the lines of what Neil Peart was getting at in that Rush doc.

There's also a difference in meeting members of bands you idolize and just casually listen to. I did the Horrendous tour with Tribulation ~2 years or so ago and hung out with all those guys a lot. No weirdness there, they were just dudes. I went to a Bruce Dickinson book signing event and got to shake Bruce's hand and it was weird, even with there being zero conversation. It's a hard thing for me to dissect, but it is definitely real.
@gloveofmetal (Instagram)
(04-15-2018, 04:28 PM)Phantasm Wrote: I actually don't really enjoy meeting people from bands that I like. I don't really have anything to say? "Hey, I like your music." There needs to be a quantifiable distance between the musician and the fan I think. Something along the lines of what Neil Peart was getting at in that Rush doc.

There's also a difference in meeting members of bands you idolize and just casually listen to. I did the Horrendous tour with Tribulation ~2 years or so ago and hung out with all those guys a lot. No weirdness there, they were just dudes. I went to a Bruce Dickinson book signing event and got to shake Bruce's hand and it was weird, even with there being zero conversation. It's a hard thing for me to dissect, but it is definitely real.

I get that too, the not having much to say part however, it would be cool to discuss common interests. Kane Roberts (Alice Cooper fame) and working out for example. 

P.S Shaking Bruce Dickinson's hand...WAAAYY COOL!!!!
I'd have a carefully, triple-checked list of points to talk about. (Maiden fanboy here)
Hand
Haven't checked into the site for a while, but yeah, it was nice getting to meet Hisashi Suzuki. I sorta used browsing his shop as an excuse to meet him, but it wasn't awkward just because of that. Grabbed a couple Blaze items off of the little merch shelf that he had set up next to his desk, he kindly signed them and I got a quick photo with him too. Can't say I'd necessarily like meeting musicians outside of an environment like that, because as stated above by others it's probably quite a bit more awkward.

Meeting musicians at shows is pretty chill too though, that's the other scenario I have no problem with. Have only met a couple other metal musicians, Charlotte Wessels and the rest of the Delain guys briefly a few years ago, and a couple Xandria members too. Otherwise it's mostly been Canadian classic rock musicians, Nick Gilder, Darby Mills, Holly Woods, the Harlequin guys, Chilliwack, all of whom were really pleasant to talk to, albeit briefly.
If you dig Japanese metal and other musical odds and ends you might find my YouTube channel worth your time:
www.youtube.com/user/tadakatsuh0nda
Good to see you around here again! Definitely stick around, as activity is slowly picking up again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  San Diego Metal Swap Meet (2017) Painkiller 1 91 04-13-2017, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Phantasm