Improving the Forums for 2018
My plan throughout 2018 is to make Forces of Steel as minimalist as possible, while still providing tons of content. One of the major complaints I'd received over the years would be that there were too many forums — I can definitely see that, and as one section of the forums would lose activity, so would another. That experience led me to come to a realization that the forums don't have to be about anything and everything. Rather, more focus on subject matters that DO bring the community together. With that realization, I've been setting out to cut down on a lot of unnecessary threads that haven't aged well. I'm still in the process of transferring a couple more noteworthy threads to the public side of the forums, but for the most part, I want to refine things.

Changes I've made:

Game Section hadn't been used in years, so it was retired.

Likewise, Moronic Stuff and Forum Games have also been retired. They've always been vacant, anyway. Threads where we post stupid pictures and such have been moved to Blood, Guts, & Beer, however.

As said before about our new rule concerning political discussions, we no longer house such subjects, so Society & Culture was retired.

And the Bands Played On has been completely retired, with two of its threads turned into a central thread in Blood, Guts, & Beer.

All threads in Tours, Gigs, & Festivals have been merged with their respective bands' threads or moved to Rotten to the Core, depending on the discussions.

Metal Merchants has been retired. eBay, Discogs, and social media would yield fruitful results.

FoSletter has also been retired, due to lack of time or motivation.

Much of Horror Freaks has been merged as its own thread in Blood, Guts, & Beer. I used my best judgment to give things like polls and some unique threads leeway. Focused discussions were left alone. Again, I judged them as well as I could. Video Gaming Dimension is unique enough to exist as its own forum. It would be preferable to not litter random threads in there that won't generate a whole lot of activity. If in doubt, just use its general thread.

By the way, all forum moderators have been relieved of their duties, except for MetalSamurai. There isn't much work to be done, either. It's nothing personal whatsoever, and I would like to thank you all for helping me run this forum smoothly over the years, so please stick around for as long as you'd like!

Other than that, I guess we just keep doing what we've always been doing.
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
Oh wow it is different around here.
Painkiller; trimming the fat seems like a good idea to me, support.
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

Is it true? Have we sold out already? Are we now fake-ass, no-balls metalheads who don't know what's real, because we refuse to see the good in extreme chilli beans? R.I.P.

Yes, you can CONVENIENTLY look up threads by using hashtags in a post editor, and your search query will fetch all existing threads by subject alone. Once you've found the thread that you'd like to refer to, simply click on it, and you will see it linked automatically on your post.

For example, if I'm looking up one of the Judas Priest threads, I'll type:
Code:
#Judas
...and the feature will look up all threads with "Judas" in the title:

Let's say we click on the very first one, that being my review of Sad Wings of Destiny. Submit your post, and you get this:
Quote:Judas Priest (UK) - (1976) Sad Wings of Destiny - 8/10
Isn't that great? Now, you'll be able to conveniently link around the forum threads as needed! Keep in mind that this is still an experimental feature, so it's subject to change. For now, though, have fun with this nifty extension! Hand
New announcement for Rotten to the Core's forum usage.
Still working on some other shit. This time, I'm serious about getting the ball rolling again! Feel free to help out with thread content. Just as the previous announcement linked stated, you are free to start the same threads again. Let's try to focus less on bumping and more on organic discussions. We'll see how it goes for Rotten to the Core with that rule, and if it works out great, then we can expand that to some other parts of the forums where redundancy is often overlooked. Hand
Just letting everyone here know that we will be upgrading servers in the next few months! Since it will be more dedicated, it will cost me eight times as much as what I pay monthly, so if anyone could help out, that would be great!

You are more than welcome to donate here. Switching to a better server means that there are less connection interruptions.

Thanks for your support! Headbanger
Last time I donated to a forum it shut down not long after, I'm not sure you want me donating Laugh Undecided

Instagram @dutch_steel

Nah, the forums are doing fine. I need a place to talk about this music. Not into social media at all. Tongue

I'd just like to get a better server this time around, which should help make connections much smoother. Feel free to chip in with whatever you got. All of that is going towards funding hosting and other fees.
Show the extra stats again like who is the top posters of the day and stuff. That needs to come back. That is always fun to read. Please bring it back. Thanks!
I've been thinking of cutting down on so many no-name bands with only a demo getting their own threads, unless they happened to be actively recording new music anytime soon.

Those kinds of bands that I'm looking at will probably be sent back to the general discussion threads by genre. I may actually even cut down on the extra forums in Band Discussions, and replace them with thread prefixes. Perhaps even going to say goodbye to the default sorting by thread title, as it can be confusing for the average visitor to check which threads are recent.
You've got a lot of work ahead of you. Wink
I've decided on bringing back fellow moderators Phantasm, Dark Wanderer, Vagabond, Spirit in Black, and BeyondOsiris to the fold. Also, let's welcome Mick Bynes and Too Dark Park as our newest forum moderators! Hand

Also, I added a bot account that automatically messages new members upon registration, with information on getting started with the forums, along with the rules in print. I've restricted the account from direct access, too, so you won't be able to contact it.
Welcome back old mods and congrats Mick!
In the process of doing that, I also brought back Moronic Stuff. Tongue
Great stuff, keen to help improve the forum and increase membership!

Instagram @dutch_steel

The host switch is still going to be delayed. I need to first be situated before I make the move to a better server, and I haven't found one that's to my liking. If anyone wants to help out, then contact me. I'll look into your recommendations as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I'm going to fiddle a bit more with the settings and improve the usability of the forums. Someone recently told me they were surprised they could start threads, so it's really that morbid, but I'll carry on and keep improving my craft as I go along.
ANNOUNCEMENT: We finally upgraded our hosting. You may experience downtime throughout the week, due to the process of migration. I will keep everyone updated.
As announced a few days ago, we're now on the new server, which is faster and more secure than ever. I would like to thank those who've donated so far — without your generous contributions, I don't know if I would've made the sacrifice. It's a lot of money invested for something that I've always kept as a fun hobby, and you'll never be plastered with ads or anything shady like that.

Kindly wait out a few days as the old domain names are propagated. I will revert to using forcesofsteel.com as soon as possible, but both domain names will now pull up these forums.
Another mass mail sent out today to inform everyone that we've switched to a new host and have a different domain name. This is the second attempt, as the previous mass mail didn't reach all e-mail inboxes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie-Friendly Guide to Using the Forums Painkiller 1 437 09-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Painkiller
  Improving the Forums for 2017 Painkiller 11 293 01-03-2017, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Painkiller