[Album] Blind Guardian (DE) - Legacy of the Dark Lands (November 1, 2019)
Quote:The cover artwork for BLIND GUARDIAN's upcoming album, "Legacy Of The Dark Lands", was created by renowned artist Gyula Havancsák and can be seen below.

Frontman Hansi Kürsch comments: "The cover artwork by Gyula Havancsák just perfectly fits our upcoming project and I think it's a true masterpiece. Gulya's love for details is incredible and his ability to see behind complex stories and reproduce them in art is amazing. We are more than happy since he could absolutely capture the monumental atmosphere of the music. Literally a perfect match!"

Promising to be one of the most ambitious projects in metal's history, BLIND GUARDIAN's upcoming release will be well worth the wait. The idea to record an orchestral album originally formed in the minds of the two leading lights of the BLIND GUARDIAN universe — guitarist André Olbrich and singer Hansi Kürsch — during the 1990s when BLIND GUARDIAN started to use orchestral elements to enhance their opulent sound.

In recent years, the giant project started to take shape, and parallel to epic sound cascades, the lyrical concept was developed. For this, BLIND GUARDIAN was able to find support in German best-selling author Markus Heitz, whose new novel, "Die Dunklen Lande", was released in March. The book is set in 1629 and contains the prequel to BLIND GUARDIAN's opus "Legacy Of The Dark Lands", which will be released November 1.

"It's incredible that after 20 years we can actually finish this really exciting project," states Kürsch. "I am so happy and more than satisfied with it. Every single track unveils spectacular worlds and tells its very own story. With this album, our biggest creative dream finally becomes reality."

Kürsch's favorite author was equally excited about the collaboration. "It's really crazy: as pen-and-paper role players, we used to listen to BLIND GUARDIAN whilst playing," Heitz recalls. "And years later, I get to work together with the band, which was incredible. It's amazing, the things that can happen sometimes. Of course, I immediately agreed to join! This creative collaboration is very special for me."

The two protagonists have actively cultivated their creative exchange over the last five years.

"Markus is a great story teller; with 'Die Dunklen Lande', he created the perfect setting and with the mysterious Nicolas the perfect character for our complex works," Kürsch says. "His inventiveness seems to be almost infinite. Absolutely impressive and very inspiring."

Both sides tell in their own way the story of the mercenary Nicolas and his involvement in the Thirty Years' War. Heitz starts the story off in his book and BLIND GUARDIAN follows suit with "Legacy Of The Dark Lands".

What is the secret surrounding Nicolas? Will he be able to cast off the chains of war and how will his loved ones fare? On "Legacy Of The Dark Lands" via BLIND GUARDIAN'S TWILIGHT ORCHESTRA, Olbrich and Kürsch fulfill their longtime wish of emphasizing imposing choral singing and classical orchestral arrangements. It promises to be an opus unlike any other that the German quartet has ever released, or rather an opus as has never been heard ever before.
Quote this message in a reply
Well I guess I'll reserve judgement until I actually hear a song, but I'm not expecting much honestly.
Occasionally, I write Western and Japanese music reviews.
I'm curious about this release, eager to see the band's vision of a full symphonic album.
"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"
I remember reading about this album being planned years ago, so I'm a bit curious myself too. I didn't like the last album much so hopefully this will be better.
New track up.
It's really very fantasy alike, the melodies at the beginning sound like a Disney movie soundtrack, haha. And it's also totally orchestral, without any rock instruments. Being a huge fan of this lyrical theme on music of course I liked, very epic.
I think I will stick with the first six albums! Tongue
Visit this user's website
I only like the first four. That will not be changing anytime soon. Tongue
Occasionally, I write Western and Japanese music reviews.
The first three are by far pure gold, definitely. Battalions of Fear kicks your ass to hell and back. Speed Metal
Visit this user's website
I'll take everything up to and including At the Edge of Time over this.
(09-06-2019, 03:22 PM)Painkiller Wrote: I think I will stick with the first six albums! Tongue

(09-06-2019, 04:02 PM)Dudemanguy Wrote: I only like the first four. That will not be changing anytime soon. Tongue

(09-06-2019, 07:34 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote: I'll take everything up to and including At the Edge of Time over this.
ROFL

The first albums, especially the two ones, are really very different from what the band became after Imaginations From The Other Side.
But I think it's wrong to see this orchestral album as a new Blind Guardian album, like it's with Metallica's Lulu (terrible example, I know, but I think it fits). I'm sure they will return with something heavy after this Legacy Of The Dark Lands.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Live Album/Video] Slayer (US) - The Repentless Killogy (November 8, 2019) Painkiller 1 67 Today, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Spirit in Black
  [Album] Tygers of Pan Tang (UK) - Ritual (November 22, 2019) Painkiller 1 121 09-10-2019, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Painkiller
  Iron Maiden (UK) - Legacy of the Beast Tour (2019) Phantasm 10 192 09-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Dudemanguy
  Angel Witch (UK) - Angel of Light (November 7, 2019) Too Dark Park 3 270 09-04-2019, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Phantasm
  [EP] Sodom (DE) - Out of the Frontline Trench (November 22, 2019) Painkiller 3 203 09-03-2019, 07:36 AM
Last Post: MetalSamurai