Areas of Metal Expertise
What did you get a degree in? Was it a Thrash Metal Post Doctoral? A Black Metal Bachelor's? A Death Metal Doctorate? Or A Power/Progressive PhD?

For me, I'd say Melodic and Pagan Black Metal and Thrash Metal.
Quote this message in a reply
Good question. I'm not really sure I really qualify for a doctorate in any particular field. I feel rather spread out. I supposed I know more about Japanese thrash metal than most people and I tend to dabble in any technical/progressive extreme metal.
I know a lot about traditional metal, both in and out, regardless of region. Beyond that, I mostly stick to the classics and some offshoots.
Visit this user's website
I fit somewhere between first and second wave black metal and likely OSDM. But I'm very knowledgeable of other genres like speed, heavy and Thrash. Otherwise, I fit in the extreme metal territory.
My band projects: Bloody Rage (Extreme Metal, Crust/Hardcore/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
my Doctoral degree is almost all over the place, but not just in Metal, but in some other parts of Music. i know my Trad Metal, i know my straight up Hard 'n' Heavy stuff, Thrash stuff and so on. but Death and Black Metal i do have a Doctoral in, but it's quite average, that's cause i tried to dip my toes into those genre's, some keepers there, but overall, it ain't my GO-TO genre's these days, but what i do know is what many probably know of already, LOL!.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
My problem with a lot of newer death metal is that they don't sound that much apart from each other. I love my heavy riffs and growls when I hear them, but with nearly every band imitating Incantation, there leaves a lot to be desired. What was it that gave bands such as Obituary, Death, Pestilence, Atheist, Morbid Angel, Massacra, Possessed, Sepultura, and Celtic Frost that status of high importance to the scene? It's because each and every one of them had their own personalities. The trend today is to copy these bands' styles because they'll sell, so there is a huge saturation of mediocre players that only exist to do one thing, and it's just not the same as what the pioneers and even some of the underground-only types accomplished. My two cents.

I will give black metal the benefit that at least there are different flavors of that genre to choose from, albeit not too much to my liking. I only ever really felt something towards first-wave bands and hybrids.
(01-28-2019, 07:24 PM)Dudemanguy Wrote: Good question. I'm not really sure I really qualify for a doctorate in any particular field. I feel rather spread out.

Yeah, this sounds like me. I might have a couple Masters in trad and thrash, maybe a few Bachelors in death, power, and doom, and an Associates in black and grind. I don't think within those that I have a particular concentration where I know more than most though I could be mistaken.
I cut my teeth on trad and that remains my bread-and-butter so to speak up through today. I had a long detour into black metal in high school and early college but burnt out and really left it after that. I'm slowly coming back to some black metal stuff here or there but I rarely follow new bands. Too much modern stuff is hype-driven and lacks a spine. This applies to all sub-styles really.

I'm not much of a death metal devotee and really only know the classics. Same goes for thrash but i've been branching out there more of late.
@gloveofmetal (Instagram)
I know's what I know's and that's never enough, the thirst for knowledge continues.
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

I'm working on my Masters in USPM at the moment.

Other than that, I've got a Bachelors in Classic Metal...
I'm an expert when it comes to death metal and thrash metal. I know a lot of old and new thrash metal.