[Asian Heavy Metal] Stingray (JP)
Stingray was a Japanese melodic metal band. Their current status is unknown, but they were once signed to King Records as early as 1985, releasing Rain that same year. In 1986 and 1988, the Legend EP and the "Rain" single were released on different labels. Following up in 1990 was the band's "Vampire's Kiss" mini CD single and a compilation album. 1993 saw the release of One Night Rose, 2000 saw the release of Heaven's Door (their most metallic release), and 2002 saw the re-release of the Legend EP on CD.

Discogs and eBay have more information.

For fans of Vanishing Point, Heavy Metal Army, Show-Ya, Hellen, and Earthshaker.

Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
This is good stuff. I'm not big on melodic music, usually. But I really dig this.
I actually found a physical copy of the Legend EP at CDJapan, priced real cheap. Surprised that I've been scoring a few rarities at such affordable prices, like how it was when I stumbled upon the Volfeed EP.
After listening to the EP several more times, I've concluded that while it's a very solid effort, the two songs that I posted are the best ones off it. "21 Seiko Eno Densetsu" is decent, but the operatic vocals are a little too much to bear. There's also a funk vibe on "Andromeda Crisis" that confuses me even more.
"21 Seiko Eno Densetsu" is actually my favorite so far, mind you I've only played the whole EP twice since obtaining it recently. All in all, a decent release though. I wouldn't mind hearing more of their stuff.
On this EP they handled themselves like many of the weird (but talented) 80s prog rock bands from Japan did, more than a hard rock/heavy metal band. This is a band I really want to find more by, yet it's pretty hard to because unfortunately their stuff is quite rare. They released three full-lengths after that Legend EP and it sounds like they went mostly heavy/power metal judging by the stuff I've heard from them.

(02-13-2017, 12:20 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote: "21 Seiko Eno Densetsu" is actually my favorite so far, mind you I've only played the whole EP twice since obtaining it recently. All in all, a decent release though. I wouldn't mind hearing more of their stuff.
I like the riffs on that song. Probably the EP's most metal moment. I just really like the bigger atmospheres of the other two songs that I mentioned. "Jerusalem Break" always opens up so impressively to me. I could see anyone into Hellen digging that kind of stuff.
(02-14-2017, 01:54 AM)TadakatsuH0nda Wrote: On this EP they handled themselves like many of the weird (but talented) 80s prog rock bands from Japan did, more than a hard rock/heavy metal band. This is a band I really want to find more by, yet it's pretty hard to because unfortunately their stuff is quite rare. They released three full-lengths after that Legend EP and it sounds like they went mostly heavy/power metal judging by the stuff I've heard from them.
Totally agreeing with you on that. I'm lucky that I even found a copy. Going to check out those samples! Thanks.
Just thought I'd put up these two tracks I found:

Wouldn't surprise me if @Painkiller had put them on youtube in the first place Laugh
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

@TadakatsuH0nda runs that channel, but I also send him exclusive stuff for uploading. Tongue

Rain is a bit AOR-ish, but I'd recommend Heaven's Door for their more riff-oriented stuff.
(07-11-2019, 04:05 AM)Painkiller Wrote: @TadakatsuH0nda runs that channel, but I also send him exclusive stuff for uploading. Tongue

Rain is a bit AOR-ish, but I'd recommend Heaven's Door for their more riff-oriented stuff.

The tracks I posted I thoroughly enjoyed so I might still get Rain, but I'll check out Heaven's Door too.
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel