What do you fellow collectors think of them? Cool or lame?

Personally, I don't like digipaks; I get really peeved when I finally receive a CD in the mail I wanted that just happened to be also a fucking digipak release (some of the ones I have were not listed as such online).

I also don't like digipaks because they are more prone to wear than jewel cases. I also don't like it when they don't come with booklets -- they tend to omit certain charms such as liner notes and/or lyrics in the cardboard packaging (to conserve room).
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
I like them but at the same time I don't.Most digipacks have extra artwork and such wich you don't have on the regular cd.Or a dvd as a bonus.I like that.
The downside is they get damaged easily,even when you are very neat on your cd's.The corners are the first that goes to hell.
I like 'em (at least when i first posted my coment), but since then my mind has a little changed, they're fine when you first get it, but when time fly's by, they do tend to show wear, my fucking Motörhead - Iron Fist (Deluxe Edition) is getting ruined (baught it in 2009), but even during that year it was getting in bad shape, at least my "Overkill" (Deluxe Edition) is in decent shape, but "Iron Fist" is going to hell! and i'm talking about the double gatefold like digipacks wich comes in a see-through slipcase, at least those have booklets.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
(01-09-2014, 02:07 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: I like them but at the same time I don't.Most digipacks have extra artwork and such wich you don't have on the regular cd.Or a dvd as a bonus.I like that.
The downside is they get damaged easily,even when you are very neat on your cd's.The corners are the first that goes to hell.

My thoughts exactly. I like digipak, but what I really hate is digisleeve. It's so stupid to have the CD in a sleeve where it can get easily scratched when you can just put it on a holder like in a normal digipak.
(01-09-2014, 02:33 PM)BeyondOsiris Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 02:07 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: I like them but at the same time I don't.Most digipacks have extra artwork and such wich you don't have on the regular cd.Or a dvd as a bonus.I like that.

My thoughts exactly. I like digipak, but what I really hate is digisleeve. It's so stupid to have the CD in a sleeve where it can get easily scratched when you can just put it on a holder like in a normal digipak.

I agree.Sometimes you can't hardly get the disc out (and back in) because the sleeve is a bit too small.
I don't care for them. Some of them the CD comes out of the side and pulling it out scratches the CD.
I just hate the fact that Digipaks need more care than jewel case cds. You can easily replace the jewel case on an album if you drop it and it gets a crack or something, which you obviously can't do with a digipack release.
Agree with most people here, digipacks problem is when you take out the CD it isnt as secure as a jewel case.. Worse yet are the CD sleeves like LP's, you take them from the side and I hate doing that! Why buy these kinds when I already have the vinils?
I collect these old fashioned big black things called vinyls, they happen to have best sound quality and detailed artworks Wink but seriously I don't have any digipacks but the ones I have seen get really fucked with time, so yeah CDs all the way.
I used to not like digipacks but now that I have a few more I am starting to like them, not as much as jewelcases though. I think they are nice to have for deluxe/limited editions while jewelcases are saved for standard. I just wish digipacks were more durable around the corners. The booklets can be annoying to take out of the sides too.
I just think of them the same way I do about jewel cases; Oh, cool, my CD came in a case, now I don't have to buy extra cases!
...unless the fuckin' spindle's broken. Irritated
Yeah but that gives me an excuse to punch a postal worker, so whatevs.
I usually always prefer regular old jewel cases since they're more durable. I rarely ever do things to my cases that would damage them anyway, but it just puts my mind at ease knowing that the booklet won't accidentally slip out, corners won't bend, etc (although jewel cases sometimes have their own problems, such as the hinge breaking)

The only time I'll buy a digi instead of jewel case would be if it's limited edition, if it's cheap so I don't give a shit, or if it's a digi-only release so I have no choice

The ones that really piss me off are A5 digibooks since they're like 3 inches taller than a regular case, and digisleeves since I'm always worried that I'll scratch or smudge the shit out of it
I perfer the digipack record. But we need to have special care with itHand
HARD & HEAVY METAL HITS RADIO

Playing the Best Hard Rock, Melodic Rock, AOR, Heavy Metal, NWOBHM, Power Metal, Speed Metal & Thrash Metal
Some digipaks are worth getting. They're cool, I guess.
I don't really care If jewelcase or digipack.
Jewel cases all the way ,thinner than they used to be but at least they're easy to replace.
The collectors friend.
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

Some digipacks have a really nice presentation, but it annoys me when the corners get damaged. I only have one of these but not sure I like the gatefold either, slipping the CD in an out of the paper sleeve can be inconvenient.
As I have all of Concerto Moon's official albums and plenty of miscellaneous releases, it's interesting to me that only From Father to Son was originally released as a digipak, although the jewel case edition was released for the same pressing. I'm glad that Vap didn't make their other CDs into digipak releases throughout the 2000s. I know that those 2008 reissues of the first six albums are cardboard sleeve types, but I don't need them, especially as I'm not attracted to the illustrations. The originals looked best, and while one could argue that the remastering job is more polished, I never felt the least bit irritated listening to any of Concerto Moon's music. Compared to Galneryus, Ark Storm, Alhambra, Light Bringer, and other early 2000s heavy/power metal bands, their sound was the least compressed to my ears.
I think the only digipak I have owned is Fear Factory's Archetype, surprisingly. Oh and and I think an Amon Amarth one, but I gave that one away.
Got tons of them, I mean some releases are only released as digipacks so I just don't see how people avoid them if they want the CDs.
I also plastic bag them for protection, works well but makes it difficult to display/store them.
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

I prefer the CD's with a jewel case over the Digipak, as Digipak's are more prone to wear and tear. I own whole bunch of Digipaks which I must take extreme care of.
(06-13-2018, 01:38 PM)Too Dark Park Wrote: I also plastic bag them for protection, works well but makes it difficult to display/store them.

I'm thinking of doing that aswell.Aside from the store issue,I don't like the way it looks,a bit messy.
I absolutely prefer jewel cases. But I do admit that sometimes when done artistically that digipacks can be cool. One thing I really hate is when the CD just slips into a sleeve within the digipack w/ no protection...that sucks. I have noticed lately that a couple of digis I got have an inner sleeve to use when sliding the disc into the sleeve.

But, jewel cases are preferred a million times over.
I seriously wish the first Domine album had a jewel case edition. That album is quite the overlooked gem, if you love epic heavy metal. The albums afterwards followed a more European power metal direction, but were still very good. Those turned out to be jewel cases. ROFL
Those new Metallica single-CD digipacks are some of the worst I've seen. At least for Master Of Puppets they included an inner sleeve.