Guests Cannot View Poll Results
You must LOG IN or REGISTER to be able to vote in this poll.

Favorite Version of Sodom's Obsessed by Cruelty?
Which version of Sodom's monolithic thrash metal debut album do you prefer the most? As most of you know, they recorded the album twice, once in 1986, and then once in 1987. The former was somehow mixed up as being the American release, intended as a reject, whereas the latter was released exclusively in Europe on vinyl. Most other versions of the album are sourced from the rejected first version, so unless you'd get one of those bootlegs, the Wax Maniax reissue contains a spare disc consisting of the re-recorded version.

Aside from the exclusivity of "After the Deluge" (good song, but I personally think that it kills the flow of the album), I don't find the re-recorded version better whatsoever. I know that sounds strange, but I find it awkward to listen to, due to the lack of the sloppiness (I feel that is what made Sodom's prime years so charming, because they executed with total ferocity). Therefore, my vote goes to the American version.

Here are two versions of "Witchhammer" for you to compare:

Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
European, but that being said I usually play both versions back to back!
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

In term of the versions of Obsession By Cruelty.

American Version = liked most of the songs because of the reverb and sloppiness that gives this album a charm.

European Version = only liked 'After The Deluge' due to having that punk and speed metal vibe.

So I would just go with the American version. Then again, I like listening to both versions.
My band projects: Bloody Rage (Extreme Metal, Crust/Hardcore/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
I prefer the american version too. The european isn't bad, but just doesn't sound too much as Sodom, in my opinion.
And also there is the amazing drum work by Witchhunter.
"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"
I think it's also the same way as how I'd see Artillery's first two albums compared to their third album. All three albums are great, but the rawness of Fear of Tomorrow is more convincing to me than the sleeker-sounding By Inheritance. I don't know why, but I feel that they kinda hold themselves back in terms of musical expression. I'm not saying that the production is bad, of course. I'd love to hear a modern thrash metal album with that kind of production, rather than the Nuclear Blasted stuff. Laugh
My thoughts exactly! The albums following Fear of Tomorrow are good too, but they lack that amazing agressivity. I think the "problem" with those bands is that they learned how to really play their instruments. Big Grin
"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"
I actually have no idea which version I have of this. My CD copy is a slipcase two-pack with Obsessed by Cruelty/In the Sign of Evil + Persecution Mania. Pretty sure it is an SPV/Steamhammer release so I guess it's the EU version. I've never enjoyed Obsessed by Cruelty. I think it's a major departure from what they had going on with In the Sign of Evil. Persecution Mania and Agent Orange are more my speed.
@glovesofmetal (Instagram)