Food & Meal Delivery Services (e.g. Uber Eats, DoorDash, Instacart)
Any experience dealing with these kinds of services, let alone working for them?

There are two categories here, both food (i.e. grocery shopping) and meals (i.e. restaurant delivery). Seems like companies such as Uber Eats (launched by Uber), DoorDash, Instacart, Grubhub, Shipt, and the like have been launching in recent years to keep up with the demands of online ordering services. No surprise that Jeff Bezos has completely decimated much of the retail industry by obliterating a need for shopping in the flesh, when it could be done at the convenience of a few clicks from your home, and you waste less time and gas money to do so.

What prompted me to start this thread was that I'd been hearing DoorDash drivers are having their tips (unbeknown to the customers) eaten up by the company itself.

Instacart was reportedly just as bad, but they "smartened up", so to speak, so DoorDash is still in legal trouble. You have to pay for gas and go through the rough crowds at each store or restaurant to get the job done, so why not?

Anyway, curious as to what anyone here thinks of these kinds of services, and if you're not American or Canadian, which services are offered in your part of the world? Have you ever used them to deliver your orders?
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
In Sydney we have Menulog, UberEats and Deliveroo. They all get used regularly on my day off when I'm too stoned to give a fuck about cooking or eating healthy.
I could see their use in huge metropolitan areas, because fuck going out of your way to get food yourself. In my case, it's a gray area, so certain parts can be traffic-heavy, while others barely get any.

I'm glad that I was able to find housing in an area where I can get to restaurants and supermarkets within walking distance.
We have Thuisbezorgd (homedelivery) and Deliveroo,maybe more but these two are the big ones.I haven't used them because they don't deliver in the hellhole town I live in.
If it was possible,I have no idea if I will use it.
Seems like they mostly operate as smartphone apps. I utterly despise the botnet, but can't some of these companies let desktop users have a slice of the cake, too? Tongue
We got Uber Eats never used it, fack I don't even get pizzas delivered, if you're to lazy to go out and get food then you're not hungry enough. Though if you were ill or it was just not safe to go out then fair enough.
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

(05-28-2019, 11:55 PM)Too Dark Park Wrote: if you're to lazy to go out and get food then you're not hungry enough.

What if I'm temporarily incapacitated from driving and REALLY need a pizza?
You get paid peanuts and there always the risk you have this to contend with.

I don't understand the appeal really. Okay if you want to get a pizza delivered once in a while (although whenever I get a pizza, I just pick it up from the store on the way home from work), but for regularly getting meals hell no. People seem to have really strong opinions on food, but I really don't. I'm happy with relatively plain stuff like beans, rice, and chicken. Make a batch of that and you have food for days.
Occasionally, I write Western and Japanese music reviews.
We have Uber Eats and I think Grubhub in this area. Not services I would ever use though, there's plenty of places I can easily drive to and be back in a good amount of time.
(05-29-2019, 01:52 AM)Vagabond Wrote: What if I'm temporarily incapacitated from driving and REALLY need a pizza?

Ok as clearly not safe to be on the road.

Instagram @dutch_steel

I've used UberEats in the past but these services are really my last go-to. Usually get crushed on delivery charges and depending on where you are the places that deliver may be quite scant (delivered McDonalds i'm sure tastes great...).

I really try to avoid eating out and do most cooking myself at home. Easier to know what I'm eating that way.
@glovesofmetal (Instagram)
(05-29-2019, 01:52 AM)Vagabond Wrote: What if I'm temporarily incapacitated from driving and REALLY need a pizza?
Isn't that called a girlfriend?
I'll stick with traditional of just going getting foods from the market whatever I need to be done. No thanks. I'm fine just cooking my own shit.
My band projects: RanCoffin (Black Metal, Crust/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
(05-29-2019, 07:24 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Isn't that called a girlfriend?

Don't have one of those at the moment, just a couple of booty calls. Although I supposed they could bring me pizza too. Double duties.
Just cook from home. Tongue
For those who'd rather cook at home to save on costs and for transparency reasons, you could also just pay someone (e.g. Instacart) to shop on your behalf, so you won't have to bother putting up with parking lots and long lines of dingleberries.

I agree with not eating out in the long run. If it's something that you don't often see, then it doesn't hurt to give it a shot. Those "exotic" restaurants are going to charge more than your nearby Olive Garden, sadly.
We don't even get a pizza delivered overhere Laugh

We have called a snack bar in this town.You can order fries and snacks that are familiar in Holland.I go for that sometimes but I make most meals myself.
(05-30-2019, 03:12 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: We don't even get a pizza delivered overhere Laugh

We have called a snack bar in this town.You can order fries and snacks that are familiar in Holland.I go for that sometimes but I make most meals myself.

I love Dutch chip shops so good.

Instagram @dutch_steel

(05-30-2019, 03:17 AM)Too Dark Park Wrote: I love Dutch chip shops so good.

I'll send you some Wink

75% is running by Chinese people nowadays.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International Food Painkiller 3 115 04-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Too Dark Park
  Italian-American food meaningless 5 123 03-23-2016, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Too Dark Park