General Metal Thread
This thread can facilitate all general discussions on music, but the main focus is still on metal and rock (e.g. random thoughts about this music that come to mind). For anything specific to genre, refer to the general discussions under Band Discussions. If it has nothing to do with metal or rock, then use Blood, Guts, & Beer.

Thank goodness Japan had common sense and jumped straight to the CD format when it hit big. I'll admit that a lot of older albums arguably had better mixing quality on vinyl than on CD (mostly 1970s and earlier), but digital was still a relatively new technology at the time. By 1985 or so, most music was cut to digital, rather than analog.
Quote:MEGADETH bassist David Ellefson, who launched EMP Label Group in 2015, says that he doesn't find it more difficult to promote his artists in the digital era of the music industry. "It all works digitally," he told the "Heavy Demons" radio show (see video below). "It's funny that all fans buy or listen to things digitally. I still buy everything — I buy everything on iTunes — 'cause I still like to have it on my phone. Usually I listen to music when I'm flying, when I'm traveling, and then I'll buy vinyl, just because it looks cool. But I usually don't listen to it, 'cause I hate the way vinyl sounds. It sounds like shit. I never liked it. I was actually glad when digital came [around]. But I find most artists, they have still the merchandise booth, and fans go to buy things. And sometimes even if the CD and the vinyl is just a place to put a signature, it's a great memorabilia piece to take home."
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
There's no reason to buy anything "new" in LP format. Purely a trend. Like you said though, completely understand for something mid-to-late '80s or earlier. Not sure what Dave was getting at there with the "it sounds like shit comment though." Seems a bit odd to me.
@glovesofmetal (Instagram)
Yeah, I've never bought anything on vinyl that was originally released after 1990, because there's very little reason to do so. I like the bigger artwork and the cool inserts that come inside, but for the most part, if there's already a CD version available, then why not take that? I'd never pay for a download.

You get the best of both worlds when you buy a physical release and rip it to lossless. That way, you won't have to risk wear and tear. I do like the feeling of pulling an album off the shelf, but I wouldn't want to take it out on the road with me.
Non-remastered (bar some rare exceptions) CDs are the choice of the thinking metalhead. Tongue
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

Been in the mood to spin CDs again. Withdrawal symptoms got too unbearable for me. Laugh

Planning on listening to at least two albums a day. Right now, I'm just revisiting bands that I'd discovered several years ago. For one, I may have to do an Anthem marathon...
To be honest for me, there is something spiritual about owning the vinyl. Having the presence of one has like a magical emanation for me. To be honest, a lot of my albums are Back On Black reissues.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite/Best/Worst/General Music Video Thread Metalmaniaxe 6 251 07-03-2018, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Ironmaidens666