Improving the Forums for 2019
Welp, another year, another thread where I can spam what's been happening from a technical standpoint!

Right now, I'm just carefully monitoring connections and checking to see what needs to be adjusted, if and when something gets strained. Tinkering a bit with cache settings to see what works best.
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
One thing that is a major technical problem is the reply box. I have to press insert smilies to bring the box back up to post a comment.
Are you referring to the shoutbox or when you are posting in a thread? If for the shoutbox, all it does is open a new tab in your browser window. I'll look into a way to make it pop up, instead.

From my end, it doesn't seem iffy, but these issues could specifically be coming from use of a mobile device.
It happens whenever I start to type something up. Maybe it's just me. I can only use my phone for this site. My tablet is far too slow.
I see. Have you tried switching to our mobile theme? Look for "Mobile Version" on the footer. Perhaps that would make usability less of a pain, despite some functionality not being available.
Oh the smiley box in the quick reply doesn't work for me either actually. The popup shows nothing and the "more" link doesn't do anything.

That has been an issue for a while. Still trying to figure out how to fix that. It's a JavaScript conflict. Go figure. Rolleyes
I'm considering bringing back Metal Merchants, the forum where you can list your stuff for sale and/or make purchase offers. The problem with it in the past was that barely anyone used it, yet it could still provide to be an asset, just as Musician Chat turned out to be.
Updated the post editor by including more options for embedding media. Enjoy.
Just noticed this when making a post before, excellent!
Any chance the smiles will back into the task bar?
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel
I would also like the emoticons back in the task bar.
Veteran rank will no longer be implemented AFTER August 2019, hence no more yearly polls. Once the month passes, all non-staff members will be of the same rank. Things like privileges will be adjusted for fairness.
Another addition is that I'm going to have to do a reform on the current moderation team. A few moderators who'd stopped visiting have been relieved of their duties until they'd like to give this place another chance.

I also need a global moderator, but this time around, I want someone who is serious about keeping this place well-maintained. It's a requirement to have technical knowledge of working with posts and threads. Not just that, but understanding the rules and how to enforce them right. If you'd like to volunteer, feel free to let me know!

In case anyone is interested, I just added thread prefixes in Metal News, so the whole structure works out.
I made the registration page simpler by asking for the basics, and I've switched the CAPTCHA to something less tedious. Security questions are implemented again to ensure that a human with basic literacy skills can understand common sense.
Robots can solve pretty much all captcha easier than humans now anyway. Wink
I really hate Google's NoCAPTCHA reCAPTCHA crap, and it's a huge part of why I personally don't use a lot of online services (on top of mining your personal data).

The security questions ask for manual input of specific information. If it tells you to enter all the numbers sandwiched between and around a word (or letters within numbers), then type those accurately to proceed.
The stats seem to be gone is this a planned move?
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel
Of course. Cutting down on clutter a tad.
(03-22-2019, 12:39 AM)Painkiller Wrote: Veteran rank will no longer be implemented AFTER August 2019, hence no more yearly polls. Once the month passes, all non-staff members will be of the same rank. Things like privileges will be adjusted for fairness.
As we are now in September, the change has been implemented.
The shoutbox has been permanently removed to focus on posting again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie-Friendly Guide to Using the Forums Painkiller 2 790 04-17-2019, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Painkiller
  Improving the Forums for 2018 Painkiller 21 560 11-29-2018, 02:23 PM
  Improving the Forums for 2017 Painkiller 10 411 01-03-2017, 05:18 AM