Metal Church (US)
Metal Church, much like Agent Steel, is a band that you can't exactly just nail down as being just one or two types of metal. For every couple of songs that are considered power metal, there will be that one song that sounds arguably more like Iron Maiden-driven heavy metal.

What TOP genre do you think that Metal Church should be considered as? Like I said, they're a band that does more than just one kind of thing, but which style springs to mind the most?

Here are a few songs to kick things off:

Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
It is quite hard to place Metal Church in one specific genre field, but to me the only thing i can put these guys in is a hybrid genre, Power/Speed Metal or Power/Thrash Metal, i think Power/Speed Metal does the job for the first two, have not listened to the third album in full besided listening to the song that was provided by painkiller, i don't know about the other albums though, all i've heard were just the first-two, Laugh.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
I'd say they came from a time where they were simply a heavy metal band, although they definitely incorporated elements of power, thrash, and speed metal. Hybrid genre is probably the best definition, since they don't exactly fall into one category and they come from a time when those genre distinctions were not well-defined (nor do they exhibit enough of just one genre to clearly define them). Even as far as "scenes" go, they're lumped into thrash just as often as USPM, although they are neither, and both, by definition. Still, I consider them more of a heavy/thrash band with enough melody to border on power metal, but I find that they lack some of the intensity of pure power or thrash.
Power/heavy/speed. Easy.

Pretty much what Vagabond said, although if you wanna throw in the current album, a dash of Thrash.
I swear some times this forum is Autism.

(06-19-2014, 04:22 AM)Vagabond Wrote: I swear some times this forum is Autism.

Because you are here?
Lol no

(06-18-2014, 05:14 PM)Messiah X Wrote: I'd say they came from a time where they were simply a heavy metal band, although they definitely incorporated elements of power, thrash, and speed metal. Hybrid genre is probably the best definition, since they don't exactly fall into one category and they come from a time when those genre distinctions were not well-defined (nor do they exhibit enough of just one genre to clearly define them). Even as far as "scenes" go, they're lumped into thrash just as often as USPM, although they are neither, and both, by definition. Still, I consider them more of a heavy/thrash band with enough melody to border on power metal, but I find that they lack some of the intensity of pure power or thrash.
I understand what you mean, but I don't even think there are enough punk influences for Metal Church to pass off as thrash metal. While we can agree that they play a mixture of genres, I'm really looking for opinions on what their MAIN genre would be. The American style of power metal, as we've discussed in the past, varies significantly from European power metal. I don't have much of a problem with classifying their main genre as power metal, with hints of thrash metal and heavy metal in the secondary slot.

I think real power metal needs a vocalist capable of pulling off the high notes, a good dose of guitar harmonies (closer to Iron Maiden than Rhapsody of Fire), significant portions of extreme metal aggression in the rhythm section, and maybe some progressive metal elements to balance it out. Tempo can go either way, but I'd generally appreciate a faster style on a handful of songs.
I dont think their really Power, just the vocals and nothing else. They sounded mostly Thrash so, I classify them 1st as Thrash Metal........
Some people have lost their way - Some people have lost their mind
They are a band that can't stick with one genre, power metal on 1st two albums but after changing singer more thrash metal/hard rock (some songs).
Quote:After 10 years, 4 albums and many great shows & performances, lead vocalist Ronny Monroe will be leaving Metal Church to pursue other interests. This is regrettable, but understandable. We wish Ronny success with his new endeavors. To our fans we want you to know that Metal Church is still very much alive and we will have some big announcements for you in the very near future Hand
Source
Quote:[4/30/2015 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE] LEGENDARY METAL CHURCH SINGER MIKE HOWE RETURNS TO THE BAND!

Legendary front-man Mike Howe returns to Metal Church! In the summer of 2014 the band suddenly found themselves in need of a new singer. As fate would have it, Kurdt was already in talks with Mike for another project that he was working on with Saxon drummer Nigel Glockler, so he decided to ask Mike to rejoin Metal Church. Mike agreed, but true to form, didn’t want to make it official until he knew for sure that the integrity of the new material was there. In Mike’s own words, " I didn't want to come back to Metal Church just for nostalgia, it had to be for the right reasons, it had to be the best stuff we’ve ever written together or it just wouldn't be worth it to anyone, especially the fans.” Soon after, Kurdt and Mike began exchanging ideas and writing new material with the band. The end result sounds like “Classic Mike Howe era Metal Church, it’s both heavy and melodic” says guitarist Kurdt Vanderhoof and further states “Mike sounds the same as he did 20 years ago, this is going to be truly epic!!” Drummer Jeff Plate comments, “Mike Howe is the ONLY singer for Metal Church. He has a reputation of complete honor and respect. We can now take Metal Church to the next level!”

Mike Howe originally joined Metal Church in the late 80’s and released 3 albums with the band: “The Human Factor”, “Blessing In Disguise” and “Hanging in the Balance”. Mike was also the face of popular music videos “Date With Poverty” and “Badlands” that aired during MTV’s heyday like”.

The band is currently in the process of working on their new album, which will be released later this year via Rat Pak Records. Metal Church is: Mike Howe (Vocals), Kurdt Vanderhoof (Guitars) Jeff Plate (Drums), Steve Unger (Bass) and Rick VanZandt (Guitars).
Source
Saw that earlier today, cant wait to see what they do with the new album. I dont have everything of theirs but love all of the albums he was on. Hanging in the Balance was an amazing record, worse cover in metal history though lol
Heard about this through a friend that knows the band a bit. Very cool.
Mike Howe-fronted Metal Church has re-recorded "Badlands":

They are power/thrash. When they came out, they were part of the burgeoning thrash scene, but they never really fit in that. I think power/thrash is a good description of their sound. I honestly didn't think about it when I first heard them back in 1984. They were just a heavy metal band.
Heavy/power/speed/thrash? damn that's confusing! Tongue all i know is Metal Church rip!
The ALMIGHTY Metal Church are firing on all cylinders right now with Mike Howe back in the band. He sounds great, he's kicking ass. The new album is great. Such a badass and underrated band. Especially the early stuff with David Wayne, that stuff is just amazing. If only he was still around, I don't know if he would be in Metal Church, but he would still be kicking ass in some why.
I have their first 3 albums and their 2016 album. I saw 'em live once. They put on an excellent show. I recommend anyone to see them live.
Metal Church are one of those classic bands that don't do as much for me as most. There's some great songs on the debut and to a lesser extent the sophomore, but there's also a lot of very generic songs that could have come from any band. The Howe-era does even less for me.

In any case, if they have to be classified, I'd lean towards an early example of USPM. I've always thought early Savatage and Metal Church sounded similar, especially vocally. Messiah makes some good points about genre ambiguity around that time, but I still feel more comfortable characterizing them as a darker shade of USPM than as anything else.
I love Metal Church! I can see why and how they get pegged as thrash metal, but honestly, I consider them part of US power metal. Same w/ Agent Steel. They flirt with various styles, but IMO are pure USPM.

I NEED to get that new record...it's on my short list.
I've finally got around to listening to the rest of their studio albums. now i can give my initial thoughts on their stuff

from what i've heard. there is not a bad album. hell. all three of their singers are great. for me i'll pan it down like this.

David Wayne Era:
first two albums are the best with him, both are classics. his return and final album Masterpeace, while a good album, is not his best work with Metal Church, while some good tracks, a fairly laid back, melodic, hard rockin' type of record. but a good album nonetheless. but could had been a lot more. sad it was his final album with Metal Church. great singer, but even on his final album you could tell that his voice had been aged, but sure tried to give it his all.

Mike Howe Era. with his return on last year's album XI the Era has now been extended. Blessing in Disguise is a good album but i think he did even better with the next album The Human Factor, which is close to being my favorite with him, the artwork gave me the idea that it was gonna be some Grunge album, but turned out t be a solid Heavy/Power Metal album that gave me some Vicious Rumors vibes. Hanging in the Balance is also a good album, but very cheesy artwork though (has that cover been beaten to death already?, Laugh). XI is also a very good album as well and could also be my #1 favorite with Mike Howe on vocals. so it's a tie between The Human Factor and XI.

Ronny Munroe Era: this era feels like the black sheep of the band's discography. don't know why. all of the albums he's performed on have been solid. it's not like Metal Church went in the footsteps of Iron Maiden during the Blaze era or Judas Priest during the Tim "Ripper" Owens era. it's still sounds like Metal Church, but with Ronny Munroe on vocals. nothing more. did need the "they should have changed their name" shit. pathetic in my not-so-humble opinion. his vocals reminds me of the late Mark Holz (Blacklist). as far as my favorites with him, the best albums with him are A Light in the Black and Generation Nothing with This Present Wasteland and The Weight of the World not far behind.

in conclusion. Metal Church maybe America's answer to Saxon. a band who is quite known, but not as generally thought of in the same sentences as the bigger bands to be exact. which Metal Church has put out more solid albums than Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, Iron Maiden etc.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
Quote:Drummer Jeff Plate has announced his departure from METAL CHURCH. He explained in a statement: "I came to this conclusion two weeks ago, and agreed to hold off on the announcement until METAL CHURCH had made some decisions on what they were going to do.

"This is obviously not an easy decision. After many conversations with myself, my wife, my family, my management and Kurdt Vanderoof and Mike Howe, I know I am doing the right thing for my future.

"I know there will be questions and speculation. The bottom line is time, my time, and how best I manage it. I had to come to terms with the fact that time is just blowing by at the speed of light and there is no time for me to second-guess or regret anything I'm doing.

"At this point in my life, I need to be in more control of my time and career. I have a number of things I'd like to do and try, and to do these I have to give up something I truly love and am very proud of.

"I cannot thank Kurdt Vanderhoof enough for inviting me into METAL CHURCH. For the past 12 years, I have had the honor and privilege of playing some of the best, truly iconic hard rock/ heavy metal songs ever written. I have recorded four records with the band. The latest, 'XI', is not only one of my favorite METAL CHURCH records, but I feel it is the one of the best, if not the best records I have recorded throughout my career.

"Also, I cannot thank the METAL CHURCH fan base enough for the tremendous support. I have met thousands of you over the years and you, fans old and new, are simply the best. You have kept this band alive for the past 33 years, and I am sure there is more great music to come.

"METAL CHURCH is in a good place, and there are a number of shows and good things coming up this year.

"This decision is made now to not only let me prepare for the year to come, but also to let METAL CHURCH do the same.

"Kurdt Vanderhoof, Mike Howe, Steve Unger, Rick Van Zandt, Tim Harding (sound and production) and Joe O'Brien (President @ Rat Pak Records) have been a tremendous team, and they are also very good friends of mine. I wish them nothing but the best.

"I hope to see you all again somewhere down the road. I will keep you posted on my activities. Trust me, I will not sit still for very long."
Not so good news, hopefully they'll find a replacement soon.
Total respect. his albums with Metal Church has been great.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
Totally missed this news. 'XI' is great!
Http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metal-c...ext-album/

Pretty cool interview as well. Can't wait to see what they have in store for a new album. Not only that, hopefully they come back here again closer so I can see them live again.
(05-26-2017, 11:14 AM)HeavyMetalGamer Wrote: Http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metal-c...ext-album/

Pretty cool interview as well. Can't wait to see what they have in store for a new album. Not only that, hopefully they come back here again closer so I can see them live again.

I have never seen MC...now that Mike Howe is back I really hope to make that happen...
(05-26-2017, 02:56 PM)FinalShawn Wrote: I have never seen MC...now that Mike Howe is back I really hope to make that happen...

Definitely do it, they killed it when I seen them. Plus after the show they had a after party, where pretty much everyone at the venue was invited, and they hung out with fans, jammed with the opening band, and just a bunch of nice guys. Of course, I didn't want to bother them too much, they were obviously wanting to relax a bit, but very nice, and down to earth.
(05-26-2017, 03:36 PM)HeavyMetalGamer Wrote: Definitely do it, they killed it when I seen them. Plus after the show they had a after party, where pretty much everyone at the venue was invited, and they hung out with fans, jammed with the opening band, and just a bunch of nice guys. Of course, I didn't want to bother them too much, they were obviously wanting to relax a bit, but very nice, and down to earth.

Sounds like an awesome time.
Word has it that they got another album in the works.
Oh, fuck...
Quote:Former W.A.S.P. and current METAL CHURCH drummer Stet Howland is reportedly undergoing tests at a hospital in Massachusetts after coming down with an as-yet-diagnosed illness.

According to Stet's METAL CHURCH bandates, the drummer hadn't been feeling well the last couple of weeks "but trooper that he is, he made it through the last few shows for our fans! It started after walking around the flood waters of Ft. Myers and eventually he had to visit Tobey Hospital and get checked out," they wrote in a September 12 Facebook post.

One week later, METAL CHURCH issued an update on Stet's condition, saying that "the best news is that physically, Stet is starting to feel a little better each day. He has moments of energy where he can hold a conversation and even stand and walk within the hospital room. He is getting an appetite back and eating almost two meals a day.

"Stet is still having severe 'episodes' a few times a day," they added. "These 'episodes' basically start with a fever and are followed by intense episodes of pain. The pain is literally incapacitating and it strikes his entire body. As the episode comes down, the pain localizes to one particular place in his body, sometimes an arm, sometimes a hip and eventually it levels off to a manageable level of pain.

"Stet was given a platelet transfusion on [September] 19th and his body has accepted them well and there is no internal bleeding. There is some fluid on his lungs that is not currently affecting his breathing.

"He has been moved to a bigger hospital that has a blood bank on site in case he develops a bleed and needs to be addressed quickly. Infectious Disease, Hematology and Oncology departments are working together. There have been literally hundreds of blood tests ordered. He has had more CT scans and ultrasound and they completed a bone marrow biopsy.

"Stet is still in a holding pattern and fighting off new symptoms as they strike.

"The family are waiting patiently for a diagnosis and looking forward to Stet being stabilized so they can go home."

Stet was named METAL CHURCH's permanent new drummer in July. He stated at the time that he was "honored to be a member of such a group of people" and vowed to do his "best to deliver strong performances both live and in the studio."
Wishing the best for Stet. Hoping he can fight this and cured. He sounds quite positive on it.

Quote:Former W.A.S.P. and current METAL CHURCH drummer Stet Howland has been diagnosed with Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL), an aggressive type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma that develops from the B-cells in the lymphatic system. Howland said: "In layman's terms, it's essentially a form of cancer in my blood. And while it is a very aggressive form of cancer, it is also very treatable with an 80% cure rate. In my case, I'm one of the lucky ones whom my doctors are confident of knocking this shit completely out of me!

"I have gone from actually feeling like death to feeling fairly strong, all in just under one week of treatment," he continued. "It's been a rigorous and constant IV fusion cocktail that hasn't been exactly fun. But if this is what it takes to get back to my family, and to get back to my routine, I find it well worth it.

"We started treatment based on the doctors' initial diagnosis, as they were confident of what they were dealing with. They knew I had a form of lymphoma but the actual details didn't rear their head until yesterday as we had to await test results."

Howland added: "I'm once again blown away and thankful for all the positivity, love, and well wishes from family, friends and fans worldwide. I have heard from some people that I never knew if I would ever hear from again. Friends from school and all walks of life have reached out. The outpouring of love has been overwhelming, to say the least. I have been feeling like crap off and on for over a year now wondering why; now we all know.

"I will be discharged next week and heading back to Vegas, where I will begin tracking the new METAL CHURCH record with a vigor and thankfulness that I don't know if I've ever felt in my life.

"The 2018 METAL CHURCH calendar is already starting to fill up, and I'm going to be out there whooping ass at every single one of them!

"I consider myself a very lucky man who has done many great things in my life. I have been blessed to play in several iconic bands in my career. But my current METAL CHURCH gig is the unrivaled pinnacle of it all."
Stet was named METAL CHURCH's permanent new drummer in July. He stated at the time that he was "honored to be a member of such a group of people" and vowed to do his "best to deliver strong performances both live and in the studio."

SOURCE: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metal-c...-lymphoma/
Hand
Quote:Former W.A.S.P. and current METAL CHURCH drummer Stet Howland is in remission from Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL), an aggressive type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma that develops from the B-cells in the lymphatic system.

Howland revealed the good news on his Facebook page, saying that results from last Friday's a positron emission tomography (PET) scan showed "no detectable cancer in my body." He added that when he received the report, "I nearly shit myself I was so happy. Needless to say, there were tears of joy here at my house."

Last October, Howland began chemotherapy treatments, with each treatment consisting of Stet checking into the hospital as an inpatient and running continuously on chemo (16-hour drips, one right after the other) for just under five full days. On his days "off," he continued to go in for blood testing and received blood transfusions every couple of days.

In his latest Facebook post, Howland said that he "lost six months of my life and every hair on my body to a dreadful disease that usually takes good people's lives. The financial doom that came with it will follow me for a while, but honestly, in my opinion, huge financial debt cannot be weighed against the value of life itself. So now I owe hundreds of thousands of dollars — big fucking deal. That's a gift when compared to the alternative."

A GoFundMe page has been created to help Stet cover the cost of his medical expenses.
Definitely some better news from the recent Glenn Tipton news. I know Stet has been playing live recently since Metal Church did that 70,000 Tons of Metal Cruise, or whatever it's called. Very cool to hear this, and Stet is a great drummer. Hoping they come around this way again, and I can see them live.