[Neoclassical/Shred] Yngwie J. Malmsteen (SE/US)
Well, I'd never think that I'd finally find it in me to enjoy an Yngwie J. Malmsteen album. I've been on a mission to give lots of bands that I previously disliked another chance, and looking back at the things that I've said, I don't actually share those views anymore. I'm still not familiar with anything he's done since the 1990s, but my understanding is that he was more sophisticated and could write hooky songs back then. As I'm getting more into neoclassical/shred metal, what could go wrong? It's not for everyone, and that's fine. More power to me!

My favorite solo album would have to be Trilogy, as the whole thing is just infectious. "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget", "Liar", "Queen in Love", "Magic Mirror", and "Dark Ages" are all excellent standouts for me. Also, I prefer Mark Boals' vocals the most, as Jeff Scott Soto misses something for me. That's not to say that things didn't improve on Marching Out, because that's actually my second favorite album by the band. Odyssey was actually my first time listening to this band, and while I dug it, the songs were way poppier than the previous three albums, save for some cool songs -- "Rising Force" always comes to mind.

This thread can also include Malmsteen's other bands, Alcatrazz and Steeler. I got No Parole from Rock 'n' Roll on vinyl.
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
He's pretty good. He gets a lot of flack and people laugh at him. I like him. I have a few of his albums. I saw him live once. Sadly, he was quite repetitive when I saw him live. I was disappointed. I didn't want to see him live again. I guess he's better in the recording studio.
Hated this at the time, I just had a listen to it for the first time since the 80's and still not for me I'm afraid.
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

He's regarded as one of the most hated guitar players to "wank." He also gets a lot of fat and donut jokes thrown at him.
Ehh well, he is okay? I guess?. Though if you ask me really, I could never stomach a full yngwie Lp unless i am in the mood, rather like 2-3 songs on each albums.
However an amazing guitarist, just a "blah" writer, heard better before Tongue Tongue
If I remember correctly I do have Trilogy, Rising force, Fire and ice.... and Odyssey
I don't know if I'd be able to get into much of his stuff past the first four albums. I've heard that some of them were exceptional, but I liked the more melodic stuff with the Johansson brothers involved.
I've honestly never listened to much. The other night my buddy put on Marching Out cause he thought it'd be up my alley. I like a few of the tracks i've heard, but need to spend some more time with it.
@glovesofmetal (Instagram)
The CDs are pretty inexpensive, too. Not hard to find a sealed copy of Marching Out at less than six dollars. Pretend you had to choose between that and an Eternal Champion album. Big Grin

For a while, I had a feeling that my bias on Yngwie J. Malmsteen was largely unfounded, and that I at one point did find Odyssey to be a coherent, decent listen. His early contributions aren't as bad as I made them out to be, largely due to my musical stage at the time. Just like with King Diamond's vocals, there are moments when their "specialties" are a bit too much to bear.
I haven't listened to any of his albums after Fire and Ice, but every album up until that was quite solid. Especially Trilogy!
(12-14-2016, 04:07 AM)JaanMetalsson Wrote: I was also thinking of giving the maestro a second chance since the first time I never got into him; started from the "good" albums as recommended by Razorfist. (Fire and Ice, Odyssey, Trilogy, Magnum Opus, War to End All Wars) Although Forever is a Long Time does have a cool EUPM start to it with Joran Edmann (misspelt) and its actually a fun track.

I may give Yngwie a third chance but its kinda like testing very cold water before diving.
I've seen that video before. I disagree with him on Jeff Scott Soto, but he's right about Mark Boals and Trilogy.
Trilogy is fucking great. Sorry I'd slept on it for so long
He don't like donuts.

Quote:Metal Wani's editor in chief Owais "Vitek" Nabi recently conducted an interview with legendary Swedish guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen. You can now listen to the chat below. A couple of excerpts follow (transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).

On whether he has considered working with singers like Jeff Scott Soto, Joe Lynn Turner and Tim "Ripper" Owens again on an album or a tour:

Yngwie: "Actually, no, I have not, because I found myself very much… I'm very comfortable singing myself, first of all. Secondly, there's a certain disconnect when you write the song and you have someone else sing it for you. And it's kind of like a fakeness about it. I always wrote everything — I wrote all the lyrics, I wrote all the melodies, everything; it's just somebody else sung it. And to me, the singer is nothing else than a different… like a bass player or a keyboard player — they're not more important than any other musician. And they, unfortunately, seem to think that they are. And I've kind of had it with their sort of… self-absorbed sort of way, and I'm very much against it. No. I don't like that. I don't like any of those people, and I don't like to do anything with them ever again."

On illegal music downloading an albums being leaked well ahead of their release dates:

Yngwie: "It's a horrible thing. And if it weren't for the fact that the music itself is so rewarding to create, I don't think I would have done it anymore. Because it's like somebody… I don't know… It doesn't matter what you make — if you create a movie or build a car or whatever, it's the amount of blood, sweat and tears and money and everything that goes into it that needs to be rewarded. Funnily enough, I was talking to my son about this — I think there might be a small resurgence of the vinyl scene again, so I might start doing that too. It's a problem, definitely, in a sense where you don't feel that you get the financial reward that you should get, but the satisfaction of creating a record, a full album, and listening back to it and actually going, 'Shit, this is pretty good. I did well.' That is an amazing feeling, because it's [part of your] legacy that will never go away. Long after I'm gone, it'll still be there. So I don't think it's… Just because the money part is… you're being robbed, basically… I still love doing it. I still love to go in the studio and write and all that."
Poo
Quote:Daniel Baker, who is part of the management team for Yngwie Malmsteen, has released a statement defending the Swedish guitarist against comments made by some of the singers Yngwie has worked with in the past.

The war of words between Malmsteen and his former bandmates started when the iconic axeman gave an interview to Metal Wani in which he said he had no interest in collaborating with vocalists like Joe Lynn Turner, Jeff Scott Soto and Tim "Ripper" Owens ever again. "I'm very comfortable singing myself, first of all," Yngwie said. "Secondly, there's a certain disconnect when you write the song and you have someone else sing it for you. And it's kind of like a fakeness about it. I always wrote everything — I wrote all the lyrics, I wrote all the melodies, everything; it's just somebody else sung it. And to me, the singer is nothing else than a different… like a bass player or a keyboard player — they're not more important than any other musician. And they, unfortunately, seem to think that they are. And I've kind of had it with their sort of… self-absorbed sort of way, and I'm very much against it. No. I don't like that. I don't like any of those people, and I don't like to do anything with them ever again."

Two days after portions of Yngwie's interview with Metal Wani were published on BLABBERMOUTH.NET, Turner took to his Facebook page to respond. He wrote in part: "Malmsteen's statements can only be taken as the rantings of a megalomaniac desperately trying to justify his own insecurity. His claim that 'singers' are too egotistical is moronic and pathetic coming from him. The fact that he would lash out at all the great vocalists and respectful gentlemen that he had the good fortune and honor to work with is simply outrageous."

Soto also responded to Malmsteen, writing on his Facebook page: "Can't say I blame [Yngwie]; his vocal prowess has increased .05-fold the past two decades! Why would he want to work with horrible hacks like myself, Ripper or Joe... and deal with our egos... like wanting to hear ourselves onstage within the cavalcade of Marshalls, or getting our measly salaries on time (or at all)."

Owens took a jab at Yngwie, saying that he was "pretty sure" Malmsteen wouldn't work any of the above-mentiond singers again "because we all quit." Tim then added: "Let [Yngwie] enjoy the singing!"

Earlier today, Baker released the following statement via Malmsteen's official Facebook page:

"Firstly, we would like to apologize in advance that this statement must even be written, but it seems that some comments from past vocalists that Yngwie has worked with in the past have been getting twisted and blown out of proportion. Allow me to set the record straight.

"I think the response to Yngwie's off-hand comments (of which his previous hired vocalists were not specifically named) has only served to prove them true — because Yngwie said something that they didn't like, they came out enraged, spitting insults and profanities at him. This, of course, leads to the media bloating their responses and proclaiming it to be some sort of 'feud' when it's absolutely nothing of the sort.

"Yngwie never mentioned any of them by name (the journalist did, however) — he merely stated that he was not interested in working with any singers anymore because he did not feel it conducive to his style of writing and performing. If Yngwie had a problem with his hired musicians having an ego, he had every right to fire them (they did not 'quit' or 'leave' as they would like to have you believe) because it was, and still is his own project. He leads and he has the final word.

"It's very unfortunate that these past hired vocalists must resort to mudslinging and insults to elicit any kind of media attention towards them. Such classless, puerile words are ungentlemanly at best and absolutely disgraceful at worst.

"Meanwhile, these hired vocalists have been attempting to reach Yngwie throughout the past 35 years and to as recent as this year, have tried to reconnect with Yngwie, start projects and/or be rehired by him, among other things. At the same time, they have repeatedly spouted out these increasingly juvenile insults — a recent incident telling Yngwie to 'sit on this' (a picture of the vocalist's middle finger) on social media sticks out particularly — which makes it very hard to believe their reaching out is based in any sort of goodwill. These incidents tend to increase in frequency when their attempts are not humored.

"Above all, the most laughable thing about the statements from all of these different singers is that they all claim to be individually and solely responsible for Yngwie's success! How strange and amazing is it that they all did it by themselves? It would be slightly more believable if they had the ability to generate media coverage without attaching Yngwie's name to themselves — but alas, this is not the case, and as such their stories only seem to be about their tantrums toward Yngwie.

"It is simply impossible, then, for one to take such statements seriously when these vocalists have sung such a different tune when dealing with our end. To literally take a picture of yourself flipping off Yngwie's family and then right afterward show up at his concert asking for free tickets does not do a lot to instill trust. Such behavior simply comes across as being disingenuous and trying to ride on Yngwie's coattails.

"I think that these past hired vocalists would find it in their best interests to do as Yngwie does by moving on and focusing on creating and performing new music, instead of grasping as tightly onto the past as they can.

"Thank you for your time and I bid you a good day."
Here's a full set with Mark Boals in mid-1986. Get to hear his take on the songs "I'll See the Light, Tonight" and "I Am a Viking". Honestly, Jeff Scott Soto's harsher vocals are tailored to that style better.
Jeff Scott Soto talks about his past friendship with Yngwie J. Malmsteen, and where the drama began. Along the way, he clarifies that he was the one who authored most of the songs from his era, so Malmsteen just filled in the blanks. It's his response to Malmsteen claiming to have written "every" note and verse.
Why bring back bad memories? Don't waste your time. Instead, hook up with Hideaki Nakama, who had that Hell 'n' Back band in the United States about a decade ago with Hexx vocalist Dan Bryant. He's a brilliant guitarist who's helped many other bands when they needed him most.
Quote:Jeff Scott Soto says that he would "love" to rekindle his friendship with Yngwie Malmsteen.

Soto, who sang on Yngwie's first two albums, 1984's "Rising Force" and 1985's "Marching Out", last year engaged in a war of words with the Swedish guitarist over the fact that Malmsteen claimed in an interview that he "always wrote everything," including the lyrics and melodies, and simply hired various vocalists to sing his material.

Speaking to Meltdown of Detroit, Michigan's WRIF radio station, Soto said about the breakdown of his relationship with Yngwie (hear audio below), "It's unfortunate. I don't know where the thing went sour." He then corrected himself: "I kind of know where it went sour. But for the most part, everybody in his past is pretty much locked out of his circle. And it's hard to really swallow, because I really made a concerted effort to keep that relationship, to keep our friendship strong and ongoing, where it could have been so easy just to say, 'You know what? Based on the circumstances, I don't want anything to do with you.' And I didn't do that. And I went out of my way to make sure we could keep and retain that friendship. And for it to just be gone like that, it's… Without naming names and pointing fingers, it is what it is and hopefully… I'd love to change that in the future. I don't want any enemies. I wanna be having dinner with Neal Schon [JOURNEY] again as well someday in the future. I just hate any kind of division or separation amongst my peers and my colleagues."
This could have been a pretty catchy, radio-friendly tune, if not for the verse or even the bridge messing up with the flow. Then again, I've already become quite sick of this guy. It's all about the first three albums and most of the fourth album for me. I also enjoyed Magnum Opus.
Jeff Scott Soto worship collective. I like his versions of the Mark Boals songs a lot. Too bad that they didn't offer a studio version with Soto's vocals in place.
Rising Force
Marching Out
Trilogy
Odyssey

Then I'm out...
My friend Brutal Brian Wilson is currently the drummer of Yngwie J. Malmsteen. Isn't that quite something? I can say that I'm friends with the drummer who drums for Yngwie! He's in other bands as well.
That's an interesting connection you have there.
He was also in Thrash or Die.

Mr. Extreme Chili Beans won't be happy. Fuck off!
(10-23-2018, 04:51 PM)Painkiller Wrote: He was also in Thrash or Die.

Mr. Extreme Chili Beans won't be happy. Fuck off!

Yep, I'm sure we can hear him fuming over this and he's butthurt as fuck over it. Hah!
He's just proving his former singers' accusations to be accurate as all fuck. Laugh
Quote:On whether he would ever reunite with any of the singers or bands he's previously played with:

Yngwie: "I have no desire to do that. There's a simple reason for that. I really like everything that has been done. I look back at it and I look back at it for what it is and I think it's the best thing that I could have [done at the time]. So that's how I look at it. The next thing I do is not gonna be something that goes back… Just to give you my point of view, basically, I've been on a solo trip since '84 — I've been a solo artist since '84. So, the [other] guys have been hired, basically. I like to wish all the best of luck, [even though] they like to say bad things about me. And I wish them all the best. And I'm gonna keep on doing what I'm doing, and I hope they do what they do. And that's basically what it is. I don't understand. There's a lot of bickering going back and forth about this stuff, which I don't get it."
He's not an egomaniac, nah. He's just really focused on himself... Rolleyes
Quote:Yngwie Malmsteen has denied his reputation as a temperamental egomaniac, saying that he is a "creator" who likes to control every aspect of his art.

"There are quite a few misconceptions about me," the Swedish guitarist told Music Radar in a new interview. "I think some people misunderstand what I'm doing; they believe I'm an egomaniac. The truth is, I'm a very focused person. My way of creating things is unlike rock 'n' roll musicians. I don't have a band; I'm not in a band.

"I look at it more like a painter who locks the door of the room and just paints," he added. "I do the foreground, I do the background. I frame it. Then I take it outside and say, 'Here's my painting.' I don't let anyone else put their paintbrush near it. People might think that's an egomaniac thing — no, it's an artist thing; I'm a creator."
this guy really thinks his Shit smells like Filet mignon. he really does not need Human beings to be apart of his Backing Band, he needs them Robots from Compressorhead instead.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com