[NWOBHM/U.K. Heavy Metal] Saxon (UK)
What self-respecting metalhead doesn't know Saxon? They're one of the few NWOBHM bands to maintain a successful career in their later years, along with Iron Maiden and Venom!

Now, with all that said, what's your favorite album from these British heavy metal titans?

I would personally go with Strong Arm of the Law, because it's certainly the one Saxon album that I find is loaded with only killer songs on it -- just listen to "Heavy Metal Thunder" to see what I mean. Biff Byford and the gang give it their all, and it shows.

My other favorites (no order of preference) are Denim and Leather, Power & the Glory, Wheels of Steel, and Innocence Is No Excuse. I also really liked Crusader, which seems to be unfairly dogged on for not being as gritty as the first five albums -- who cares? It's an album that manages to rock out hard with the commercial direction that they took since the early days, anyway.

I've also heard bits of their later stuff, two of them being Dogs of War and Killing Ground. I like that the band managed to move on from trying to recapture their past glory; instead, they've taken a heavier route with their music.
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
My personal favorites are Killing Ground, Inner Sanctum and Lionheart, in that order. I don't really care if these are "more commercial" than their older stuff. A lot of the songs on these albums just feel a lot more "epic" to me than their older stuff, which, for the record, I also love. Except the Destiny album. I could never get into that one for some reason, no matter how many times i've tried listening to it.
One of my fave bands! The three albums they released in only two years, stand at top. Wheels Of Steel, Strong Arm Of The Law, Denim And Leather.
Mine is Wheels of Steel, Power and the Glory is the second one
Who's Saxon?
Who's HeavyMetalGamer?
Who fucking cares?! LOL

Saxon has so many good albums, I think every album they have done, has 2 to 3, if not more awesome songs. I would say Strong Arm Of the Law is my favorite as well.

When it comes to later Saxon, Call to Arms was a very good album.
I have three favorites: Wheels Of Steel,Strong Arm Of The Law and Denim And Leather.All are great and have more than awesome songs!
My personal favorites are Denim and Leather and Unleash The Beast.
My favorites would have to be 'Strong Arm of the Law' and 'Denim And Leather'
(02-22-2014, 12:24 PM)Death Rider Wrote: One of my fave bands! The three albums they released in only two years, stand at top. Wheels Of Steel, Strong Arm Of The Law, Denim And Leather.
(02-23-2014, 02:47 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: I have three favorites: Wheels Of Steel,Strong Arm Of The Law and Denim And Leather.All are great and have more than awesome songs!
Those pretty much make up the holy trinity of Saxon albums released in their prime.

Does anyone own or has heard the remasters? I've listened to the 2009 version of Wheels of Steel, and it wasn't too bad; its only downside was slightly less bass than the 1992 CD that I own.

I'm usually wary of EMI Records' reissues, fully realizing how they are one of the many culprits of the loudness war. For example, the 1998 Iron Maiden remasters don't sound all that butchered, but they're still loud as fuck.
(03-01-2014, 03:42 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Does anyone own or has heard the remasters? I've listened to the 2009 version of Wheels of Steel, and it wasn't too bad; its only downside was slightly less bass than the 1992 CD that I own.

I have not heard the 2009 reissue, just the that one, wich i own, but i've heard the 2006 (wich is a repress of the 1997 reissue, just without the first disc wich was "Wheels of Steel") and i honestly will say that the remastering is not bad.

Now for my favourite Saxon album, hmmm?, i've only heard the 1979 debut, "Wheels of Steel", Strong Arm of the Law", little of "Denim and Leather", "Power and the Glory", again little of "Crusader", little of "Rock the Nations", little of "Destiny" and in full "Unleash the Beast", it's hard to pick a favourite, but at this time, it's a tie between "Wheels of Steel" and "Strong Arm of the Law", though my mind will be changed until i fully hear "Denim and Leather", i'm not going on youtube or download the damn album just to quckly change my mind, NO!, i rather buy a physical copy of the album, then when i hear i finally hear it in full, then my mind will then change, so until then, it's still a tie.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
I have reissues of Strong Arm... and Denim And Leather,no idea what year have to look for that,on cd and the originals on tape and both versions are good to me.Not a big of a difference in sound.Some reissues (in general) are too polished that it ruins the fun of listening.
Wheels of Steel is the one I heard the most, but I like many other Saxon albums almost the same. The problem I have with them is the repetition of ROCK songs - not terrible but they break the cycle of consistent music.
My favorites are Denim and leather, and their self titled album...
I have the shirt and people where I work thought it was Conan The Barbarian merchandise hahaha
(05-03-2014, 05:15 PM)jakk90 Wrote: My favorites are Denim and leather, and their self titled album...
I have the shirt and people where I work thought it was Conan The Barbarian merchandise hahaha
Yeah, that's such a corny cover. I must admit that I've never heard it, however.
I always kind of viewed Saxon as not being the best "album" band, if you know what I mean. There always 3-4 great tracks on most of their albums but then there's always a few fillers that could be done without. Strong Arm of the Law is probably their best all around album; my favorite is either Wheels of Steel or the Power and the Glory though...probably going with Power. It's repetitive at times, but man is that title track a backbreaker.
Its hard to me to pick 1.... the best!
Wheels, Denim and Law are great records full of Classics!

I must say the one I really Heard millions of times was The eagle was landed Live... That is for me the one I like most!
(I like LIVE records to feel the Band Live, and of course I heard with 12y for the first time, i remember Machine gun was for me a devastating Track hahahahaha)

the new Stuff they are also very good Metalhead, Unleash the Beast,Into the Labyrinth, Lionheart also great records.
HARD & HEAVY METAL HITS RADIO

Playing the Best Hard Rock, Melodic Rock, AOR, Heavy Metal, NWOBHM, Power Metal, Speed Metal & Thrash Metal
To be honest the only Saxon album I know is Wheels of Steel (not just the song) because I used to play Brutal Legend! From the looks of it maybe I should try Denim & Leather and perhaps Strong Arm?

Damn this is good! Midnight Rider from Denim & Leather! I must smack myself silly for not knowing more Saxon
(06-12-2014, 06:59 AM)Phantasm Wrote: I always kind of viewed Saxon as not being the best "album" band, if you know what I mean. There always 3-4 great tracks on most of their albums but then there's always a few fillers that could be done without. Strong Arm of the Law is probably their best all around album; my favorite is either Wheels of Steel or the Power and the Glory though...probably going with Power. It's repetitive at times, but man is that title track a backbreaker.

Exactly thank you for this, I do not have a favourite Saxon album like you said. They are usual the same attitude, you still get masterpiece like Princess Of The Night and 747 Strangers !
Power & The Glory, that one is so underrated and I wish it was mentioned in the same breath as Wheels Of Steel and Strong Arm. Crusader is okay.
Well, my mind certainly has changed since i baught the recent boxset wich has most of their 80's albums

i will Power & the Glory is now my personel favourite, i must confess that i did mention in my first post that i downloaded it back in 2009 but it did not click with me until recently when i went back and gave it listens then baught the boxset and still leaves an impression on me, while the title track is fucking good, "Warrior" is a tad cooler

other favourites are Denim and Leather, Strong Arm of the Law, Wheels of Steel, Self title debut and Innocence is No Excuse

that is my order, least favourites are Rock the Nations, Crusader and Destiny, i need to do some reviews of these albums that i heard so far.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
That's exactly my thoughts. I wish Power and the Glory had more respect for what it was worth. I think it is a very solid album and just as Ht said it does have its solid songs like Warrior and the title. Still Strong arm is and will always be Saxon at their best.
SLOWLY getting back into collecting.. buying tapes for now
Quote:British heavy metal legends SAXON have been forced to postpone the remaining dates on their UK tour due to Nigel Glockler's health issues. The drummer was rushed to hospital on Monday night; more details will follow as soon as available.

Says SAXON singer Biff Byford in a Facebook post: "Nigel, our friend and brother, is in the hospital in the UK having tests to find a bleed on his brain. He is up and talking but he says he has a ball-crushing headache.

"I will pass all your messages on to Gina, Nigel's wife, and we all pray that Nige can pull through this! At the moment all shows have been rescheduled to [early] February 2015."

The UK shows were due to be the culmination of SAXON's 38-date European "Warriors Of The Road" tour celebrating the band's 35th anniversary. The setlist featured tracks from what is known to the fans as "The Holy Trinity" — SAXON's seminal albums "Wheels Of Steel", "Strong Arm Of The Law" and "Denim And Leather".

The following shows are rescheduled as follows (tickets are valid for the new dates):

Feb. 03 - Newcastle, UK - Academy
Feb. 04 - Nottingham, UK - Rock City
Feb. 05 - Wolverhampton, UK - Wulfrun Hall
Feb. 06 - Oxford, UK - Academy
Feb. 07 - London, UK - Shepherds Bush Empire

The band and management would like to apologize to all involved for any inconvenience caused.
Oh no, this sucks

his playing on Power & the Glory was pretty fucking solid, even on the records past that album as well

i wish him the best.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
Wish him all the best.
All the best for nigel!
HARD & HEAVY METAL HITS RADIO

Playing the Best Hard Rock, Melodic Rock, AOR, Heavy Metal, NWOBHM, Power Metal, Speed Metal & Thrash Metal
I hope he get well very soon !!!!
Seen a post from Sweet Savage on Facebook that he has to have surgery. Hope for the best!
A fantastic drummer, although he didn't play on any of the first four Saxon albums. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
It's just been announced that Sven Dirkschneider, the son of the former Accept vocalist, will be drumming live for Saxon. Saxon has announced that Nigel Glockler will be present at the shows to meet and greet the VIP ticket holders.
Was cranking, in my car, today, their " Solid Ball Of Rock " CD.
You know the s/t song, the guitarist hits those 3 chords - over the bass - so loud -
then the drums kick in !
That type of drumming is in line - with the likes of Phil Rudd or Phil Taylor's playing - loud - (solid)
As if they're sitting in the driver's seat of a tank - midst of battle - Nigel rocks !
He is okay!

"Now it's 2015. [I'm] looking forward to getting behind the control panel of Starship Glockler again, but I'm gonna take it at exactly the pace that doctors have told me to do. I just wanna get home and start building my strength up and everything and start practicing on a practice pad at home with the sticks and everything and get ready for the next album and the tour that will follow that."
I've seen Saxon on Sunday and boy, they throw in a killer show! This was actually my first time seeing this legendary NWOBHM band. Not just me, but couple of people at the venue. I got couple of pictures of all members on my phone. This was my best night ever!

I do liked their Demin and Leather and couple of albums I've checked out.
My band projects: Bloody Rage (Extreme Metal, Crust/Hardcore/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
First time listening to Metalhead -- lots of solid songs to choose from, but I'd especially vouch for "Conquistador", "Song of Evil", and "All Guns Blazing". A really intense album for a heavy metal band. It easily compares to their pre-1984 releases.

My copy of Unleash the Beast should be here pretty soon. I always loved that damn cover...
Battering Ram comes out this October. Judging just by the title track alone, it seems like it's going to be another solid Saxon album.
i'm for sure grabbing that one and by the way, the title track is even better LIVE!.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
(09-09-2015, 12:06 AM)Painkiller Wrote: First time listening to Metalhead — lots of solid songs to choose from, but I'd especially vouch for "Conquistador", "Song of Evil", and "All Guns Blazing". A really intense album for a heavy metal band. It easily compares to their pre-1984 releases.

My copy of Unleash the Beast should be here pretty soon.

I think '90s Saxon is fairly solid; there is definitely filler on a lot of those albums though. The two you mentioned are the only two I own. I listen to Metalhead more, but there are a few things on the album the bother me. Those sound effects in the title track and that weird vocal part in "What Goes Around" is grating on my ears. Also, what is a "piss off bomb" ?
(09-24-2015, 04:36 PM)Phantasm Wrote: I think '90s Saxon is fairly solid; there is definitely filler on a lot of those albums though. The two you mentioned are the only two I own. I listen to Metalhead more, but there are a few things on the album the bother me. Those sound effects in the title track and that weird vocal part in "What Goes Around" is grating on my ears. Also, what is a "piss off bomb" ?
"What Goes Around" isn't one of the better songs off Metalhead, and it's mostly because of the dull chorus. The other songs that were mentioned do more than just save the album from being average, at least.

No comment on the last part.
Good thing i saw Saxon live. They put out a really great show. From listening to one of their song on their upcoming album, it's pretty good especially those riffs on the song. Pretty bad ass! Smile
My band projects: Bloody Rage (Extreme Metal, Crust/Hardcore/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
Has anyone picked up the new one yet?
(10-20-2015, 10:37 AM)Phantasm Wrote: Has anyone picked up the new one yet?

Next week I will check my music store. I heard many good things about it. I only heard 1 song and I think it was Battering Ram or something like that, did they release more songs?
Not that I've seen. Price is currently above $20 on Amazon; a little steep but must be cause it is an import. I've only gone up to Metalhead with Saxon, so I would need to sample this thoroughly prior to buying.
Just listened to the whole thing it's a good album but nothing mindblowing The Devil's Footprint is my favorite track and Kingdom of the Cross is the weakest,I would recommend it if you like what the band sounds like these days.
(10-22-2015, 02:59 PM)HecTheWreck Wrote: Just listened to the whole thing it's a good album but nothing mindblowing The Devil's Footprint is my favorite track and Kingdom of the Cross is the weakest,I would recommend it if you like what the band sounds like these days.
It's not like every album has to be near-perfect, but it's at least better than one that has no real direction. Still a lot better than that disjointed Iron Maiden album. I don't care what the fanboys think.
(10-22-2015, 03:01 PM)Painkiller Wrote: It's not like every album has to be near-perfect, but it's at least better than one that has no real direction. Still a lot better than that disjointed Iron Maiden album. I don't care what the fanboys think.

Yeah this album is ten times better if you put them up against each other,no 10 min songs here at all.
(10-22-2015, 03:18 PM)HecTheWreck Wrote: Yeah this album is ten times better if you put them up against each other,no 10 min songs here at all.
I'm also willing to bet that they still put out some of the better live performances these days. Wouldn't be great to catch Saxon, Hell, Venom Inc., and Satan on the same bill? A total NWOBHM fest. Rock Goddess and/or Girlschool could be openers.
(10-22-2015, 03:01 PM)Painkiller Wrote: It's not like every album has to be near-perfect, but it's at least better than one that has no real direction. Still a lot better than that disjointed Iron Maiden album. I don't care what the fanboys think.

Have you listened to the whole album? I'm no "fanboy" as you say, but its not as bad as most around here have made it out to be. Really don't see how people can Hate on a band like people do around here. Especially if they were a fan of said band.
(10-23-2015, 12:40 AM)Wrecked Neck Wrote: Have you listened to the whole album? I'm no "fanboy" as you say, but its not as bad as most around here have made it out to be. Really don't see how people can Hate on a band like people do around here. Especially if they were a fan of said band.
I'm merely calling The Book of Souls an uneven affair, which I'm fully convinced of. I tried to listen to the whole thing with an open mind, but I gave up past the first half. It's lackluster, but it isn't terrible. Middle grounds do exist.

Also, implying "hate" is just an appeal to emotion. Besides, criticizing a band that you like should be encouraged, because it shows that you're not a tool who fellates just about anything that they release. Nothing more to it than simply having preferences.
(10-23-2015, 01:05 AM)Painkiller Wrote: I'm merely calling The Book of Souls an uneven affair, which I'm fully convinced of. I tried to listen to the whole thing with an open mind, but I gave up past the first half. It's lackluster, but it isn't terrible. Middle grounds do exist.

Also, implying "hate" is just an appeal to emotion. Besides, criticizing a band that you like should be encouraged, because it shows that you're not a tool who fellates just about anything that they release. Nothing more to it than simply having preferences.

If the criticism is justified you might have a point, but lets be honest, you never listened to it with an open mind. You were bashing it long before it was released. I agree that middle grounds exist, they could have cut about three songs that do take away from the alum as a whole making it a bit boring at times. But overall I think they did a much better job with it than their last album. That one is about as bad ss it gets, next to no prayer the dying.