We are all huge metal and rock fanatics and it can't be all that 24/7.We have other styles in music we enjoy listening at.What are your favorite non metal/rock bands? Some bands are pop/rock that can be added in the list.
I'll start:

Golden Earring
Fleetwood Mac
Stevie Nicks
U2 (old stuff)

tbc...
Quote this message in a reply
Favorite non-metal bands:
Steely Dan
The Police
Asia
Yes
The Eagles
Duran Duran
Genesis
CCR
Jethro Tull
The Who
I highly enjoy classic rock, prog rock and 80's new wave.
Beside listening to mostly Metal and Punk everyday, I've listened to some Classic rock, Jazz, Classical, and Ambient.
My band projects: Bloody Rage (Extreme Metal, Crust/Hardcore/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
Visit this user's website
I probably listen to as much Post Rock/Ambient/IDM as I do metal nowadays. I also like some Folk every now and then. Some of my favorite artists are:

-Boards of Canada
-Aphex Twin
-Ulver (Electronic-era obviously, Perdition City is easily my favorite Ulver album)
-Stars of the Lid
-Carbon Based Lifeforms
-Lights Out Asia
-Hammock
-Nest (The one from Finland, not the UK)
Some non-metal favorites of mine:

old Stones
Zeppelin
The Faces
Freddy Fender
The Who
Chopin
Beethoven
Andres Segovia
Stevie Wonder
Yaz
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
Dire Straits
Elton John
I enjoy listening to classical, 80s prog rock, as well as some other stuff.
Some of the artists I listen to:

Jose Luis Merlin
Agustin Barrios
John Williams
The Smiths
The Walkmen
Julian Bream
Andrew York
I see some cool bands here.Smile

To continue my list:

CCR
ABBA
DJ Paul Elstak
70's and 80's disco
The Doors
More favorites:

Tangerine Dream
Les Discrets
Yes
Emancipator
If These Trees Could Talk
Sleepmakeswaves
Yndi Halda
Ayreon
Guilt Machine
Led Zeppelin
Screaming Trees
Mad Season
Mark Lanegan
Damian Wilson
My Sister's Machine
Weird Al
Damh The Bard
(01-11-2014, 03:00 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: We are all huge metal and rock fanatics and it can't be all that 24/7.We have other styles in music we enjoy listening at.
I beg to differ! Laugh

Really, it seems that metal dominates nearly all of my music time. I personally am just not into any other kind of music all that much, other than most hard rock (e.g. Ratt, Boston, Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, Nazareth, Night Ranger, REO Speedwagon, 38 Special).
Mostly hardcore, goth, some punk, and some trip hop:

Favorite non metal bands:

The Sisters of Mercy
Depeche Mode
Bauhaus
Black Flag
Tangerine Dream
Dead Can Dance
Death In June
Swans
Dead Kennedy's
Nirvana
The Smiths
New Model Army
The Cure

CALL ME A FAGGOTH I DARE YOU.
Faggoth.
At least you listen to Tangerine Dream and Swans
(02-02-2014, 02:41 AM)Vagabond Wrote: Faggoth.

Depeche Mode has pretty cool songs.
I like a lot of classic rock stuff, horror punk, classic country, that's about it.
I do enjoy quite a bit of other stuff but metal and rock is the staple of my life. But i have a fondness for 80's pop music, some celtic here and there, classical at times, and some rap but very minimal. The only genre i cant get into is country.
Metal is and always will be my bread and butter, but I'm also not ashamed to admit that I legitimately enjoy Japanese pop music. I don't know very much about it, but what I've heard is just fantastic.

I'm sure if I knew any kind of musical terminology besides "riff" and "blast beat" I'd be able to explain it, but there's something about Jpop that makes it different from any other kind of pop. Western shit doesn't do anything for me and Korean shit is too hip hoppy

I figured I'd probably be alone here, but it never hurts to ask for recommendations and stuff. The only two artists I'm really familiar with are Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and AKB48 and even those I just know a few songs

Babymetal can fuck off though
I do. I like Mini Moni. They're pretty cool.
Bady Metal LOLOL

Better than American pop bullshit.

I been into dark ambient stuff for awhile now also hard rock as well.
My band projects: Bloody Rage (Extreme Metal, Crust/Hardcore/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
Blood Box's album The Iron Dream is a really good Dark Ambient album.

For that matter, so is Yen Pox's album New Dark Age.

BeyondOsiris cool stuff there! Our check em out. Smile

More Dark Ambient for you to check out. Try listening to this during the middle of the night with the lights off and headphones on. Pretty intense.

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com...richoresis
Anyone into the blues that could give me some album recommendations?
-Anime/VG OST
-Jrock
-Folk rock
-Blues
-New wave
-80s pop
-Ambient
-Some punk
Rap, blues, classicals
Too much other genres to mention, but to name a few drone, punk, ambient, noise, krautrock/kosmische music, psychedelic rock, etc. Video game music I also listen to quite a bit since I've always had a big love for it growing up.

Chelsea Wolfe has become one of my favourite bands recently. I like how there are different influences from folk to doom, electronic and dark ambient in her music.

I saw Swans also mentioned which I really enjoy. Very intense whether it's their newer or older music for me, just in different ways.
I've been listening to a lot of electro lately, specifically French house/electro.
I listen alot to the Simple Minds lately.Their 80's stuff.
(11-02-2014, 10:57 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: I listen alot to the Simple Minds lately.Their 80's stuff.

I have their Once Upon A Time LP, good album and band.
90% of my collection is probably metal and hard classic rock. I do listen to classical music once in a while, some new age even, and sadly you will find some techno shit I used to listen to back in the 90's that every once in a while gets played in my cd player, and old punk rock like Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, T.S.O.L. ect.... Bands that get the most play that are non metal bands would be;

Pink Floyd (my favorite band on the planet next to King Diamond)
Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson (pure genius IMO)
Blue Oyster Cult (even though some call them metal, I say BS to that)
Uriah Heep, (even some of the new albums are great, and almost fall into the metal category)
Zeppelin (NOT METAL don't care what they say)

Several others I like from the 80's pop era like some of The Cars music and crap like that. I don't own any of that stuff, but it brings me back to a better time, and some of it's actually pretty good music. IDK, that's about it, mostly just listen to metal/hard rock.
I do like listening to lots of jazz blues and even a little bit of pop. Smile
SLOWLY getting back into collecting.. buying tapes for now
One of my favorite non-metal bands would have to be Combichrist. They're more electro-industrial, but the metal aggression is still there on most tracks. Their latest album, entitled We Love You, which came out this year even has some heavy guitars. Good stuff Wink
(11-22-2014, 10:23 AM)SlayGuy138 Wrote: One of my favorite non-metal bands would have to be Combichrist. They're more electro-industrial, but the metal aggression is still there on most tracks. Their latest album, entitled We Love You, which came out this year even has some heavy guitars. Good stuff Wink

I actually saw them in concert opening for Rammstein. They were so loud, the drummers floor tom kept falling off the drum riser. About every 5 or 10 minutes in their set, you would see it vibrate off the stage, then a stagehand would come running across the stage, grab it and put it back. Too funny!

Never heard of them till that night, but they were actually pretty good. Picked up one of their albums, but can't think of the name. Liked about half of it, the rest of it wasn't all that great. At least to me it wasn't.

Wouldn't mind seeing them again though, couldn't believe how loud they were. They were louder than Rammstein and Rammstein was pretty damned loud also!

What is their best album in your opinion?
You got to see Rammstein? You lucky bastard! They put on quite the live show! Wow... and with Combichrist as the opening act. Must've been a night to remember.

Also, LOL, what you're talking about reminds me of this live video I saw of Marilyn Manson live in Paris, around 2003 I think it was... he violently grabbed the mic out of the mic stand and it almost fell over, until a roadie rushed over to pick it up.

Anyway, to answer your question, probably What the Fuck is Wrong With You People?. "Brain Bypass" puts me into an altered state every damn time.

Also, do pick up their new album. It's a bit more varied than their previous shit. As in, more influences from other genres. Some of it sounds kinda like NIN, some sounds a bit Manson-esque, and one song is acoustic.
Actually SAW Rammstein twice. Once on the Family Values tour with Korn, and once a couple years ago on their own with Combiechrist. Both times were amazing, even though I don't like their music much. Best stage show I've ever seen though hands down.

Might pick up the one you suggest. I like industrial stuff, but it has to have the right sound to it. Most these industrial bands I pick up, have one or two really kick ass songs on an album, then shit for the rest of it. Might give one of those you mentioned above a try and go from there though. Hand
80'S Rush albums , Pink Floyd , Uriah Heep (Gonna see them this Wednesday),Bon Jovy , Alice In Chains, Queen, QOTSA,And many more
I dont listen different stuff, I can stay just in my Liking from Hard Rock to Thrash Metal (alot to listen and different)

I like to listen to some Movie soundtracks as gladiator, braveheart, I also am fan of Vangelis...
HARD & HEAVY METAL HITS RADIO

Playing the Best Hard Rock, Melodic Rock, AOR, Heavy Metal, NWOBHM, Power Metal, Speed Metal & Thrash Metal
Just wondering what you guys listen to outside of the good ol steel Tongue

I'm a big fan of these guys!

I listen to a lot of Ayreon. They are considered Prog rock/metal but most of their stuff isn't really metal.

I listen to a bit of grunge

I won't bother posting anymore but I love Scorpions, I'm a very big fan, I like Led Zeppelin and some other assorted classic rock .
(07-21-2015, 05:39 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote: I love Scorpions, I'm a very big fan, I like Led Zeppelin and some other assorted classic rock .

sweet! i'm a big scorps fan too, blackout and love at first sting are my favorites Big Grin
(07-21-2015, 06:07 PM)leatherlyon Wrote: sweet! i'm a big scorps fan too, blackout and love at first sting are my favorites Big Grin

I prefer the 70s stuff but I pretty much enjoy everything they've released, except for Comeblack and Acoustica
(07-21-2015, 06:16 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote: I prefer the 70s stuff but I pretty much enjoy everything they've released, except for Comeblack and Acoustica

yeah, 70s scorps are awesome! it's really cool how they experimented with prog and proto-metal and tons of other stuff
I've always considered early Scorpions metal — perhaps not in the sense that they were ever as heavy as Black Sabbath or Judas Priest, but that their early releases were comprised of many songs with metal riffs and vocal patterns. They officially lost their metal edge by Love at First Sting.
(07-21-2015, 07:20 PM)Painkiller Wrote: I've always considered early Scorpions metal — perhaps not in the sense that they were ever as heavy as Black Sabbath or Judas Priest, but that their early releases were comprised of many songs with metal riffs and vocal patterns. They officially lost their metal edge by Love at First Sting.

yeah, this song's super heavy! Hand i'd even say love at first sting's metal... melodic/glam but still! Tongue
Scorpions are totally metal, at least during the 70's.

I like some folk.

More folk:

I also love select tracks from Bjork. Most of her songs I could take or leave, but there's a handful that I love.

I am also always on the lookout for stuff that sounds like this track:

There's waaaay too many classic heavy rock bands from the 70's that I jam but wouldn't count as metal. Free is as good an example as any:

(07-21-2015, 09:10 PM)Hanshan Wrote: I also love select tracks from Bjork. Most of her songs I could take or leave, but there's a handful that I love.

Same! just getting into her, i love this one

I love a lot of different music (metal makes up probably only about 40% of my library), some stuff including:

Post-Rock

Prog Rock:

Krautrock:

Neofolk

Ambient

Other kinds of electronic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXVQNSlFJ6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwN4E3qfTPY
Beside metal which is my closest music i've ever got into, I'm into hardcore punk (mostly Sweden, Japan or UK), Dark Ambient, Jazz (of course because i'm from NOLA), Blues, hard rock and Classical.

Didn't I make a thread like this before?
Anyway,I like non metal music; Golden Earring,Fleetwood Mac,CCR,many various 60's,70's and 80's rock,ABBA,hardcore like 2 Unlimited and DJ Paul Elstak,70's and 80's disco,old-U2,old-Simple Minds,Stevie Nicks.