Rock Goddess (UK)

Quote:The first photos of the reunited original lineup of ROCK GODDESS — the female power trio from the days of NWOBHM (New Wave Of British Heavy Metal) featuring sisters Jody and Julie Turner along with bassist Tracey Lamb — have been released. The pictures, which can be seen on this page, were taken on April 27 after a live set rehearsal.

ROCK GODDESS is rehearsing in the U.K. to record a new album with the provisional title "Unfinished Business". Lamb says the new material "is sounding mega and awesome" and adds that playing the band's classic songs feels "weird but wonderful."

ROCK GODDESS was formed in 1977 in Wandsworth South London by Jody Turner (guitar and vocals) and Julie Turner (drums) when they were thirteen and nine years old, respectively. They recruited school friend Tracey Lamb on bass guitar.

ROCK GODDESS first rose to the nation's awareness when they were first featured in Kerrang! No. 5 in 1981 in the "Armed And Ready" section as one of the bands to watch out for. After recording a four-track demo tape and an appearance at the Reading Festival in 1982, sharing a bill with IRON MAIDEN, plus regular shows at the Marquee club, the band landed a contract with the A&M label. They recorded their eponymous debut album with producer Vic Maile in 1983 and hit the lower end of the charts. A follow-up album, "Hell Hath No Fury", arrived a year later, by which time Lamb had left the band to form SHE and later to join GIRLSCHOOL.

After their contract with A&M expired in 1987, ROCK GODDESS' already recorded (in 1985) third album, titled "Young And Free", was released only in France. The effort saw the band taking on a more commercial sound.

ROCK GODDESS' career was cut short by financial and contractual problems, which forced them to disband shortly thereafter.

ROCK GODDESS did briefly reform in 2009 and was due to play Hard Rock Hell festival in Prestatyn, and was also booked to perform at the Headbangers Open Air festival in Germany the following summer, but split before they had a chance to appear at either event.

In March 2013, it was announced that the original ROCK GODDESS lineup of Jody Turner, Julie Turner and Tracey Lamb had reunited and would start recording a new album.
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
I came across a recent interview with bassist Tracey Lamb, who discusses Rock Goddess' return, the band's upcoming album, and what they're doing next.
First show in over THIRTY years! They STILL got it.

New interview posted. They've decided to do away with the album title that they'd previously penned down. Also, very cool that Jody Turner embraces the diversity of many metal genres out there today.

Rock Goddess is an all-female British heavy metal band that was active between 1977 and 1987, had a brief reunion in the mid-1990s, and has been back full-time since 2013.

Musically, they're not as hard-hitting as Girlschool or maybe even Satanic Rites, but the self-titled debut album and parts of Hell Hath No Fury still pack a punch of classy, melodic hard rock. The vocals are what I'd consider to be the best feature about Rock Goddess, with lead guitarist Jody Turner's banshee screams menacing enough to make Kim McAuliffe run to the hills.

Rock Goddess will be releasing a new album, which was tentatively titled Unfinished Business.

For fans of Girlschool, Satanic Rites, Warlock, Blacklace, and Chastain.

They're apparently still working on the upcoming album. Check out their latest interview from January.
(05-18-2015, 10:02 AM)Painkiller Wrote: First show in over THIRTY years! They STILL got it.

I was very impressed too, it makes me anxious for a great new album!
"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"
I caught them at Headbangers Open Air last summer and they ruled. If that show was any indication, I think their new album will be pretty solid.
Just wanted to post and show more love to this band. They just recently performed with Lita Ford at her 02 show, all that was needed was Girlschool for the ultimate lineup. Hell Hath No Fury is criminally underrated when compared to all the other female fronted albums people like to talk about in the underground. The biggest bummer is that they faded so quickly they never got to tour the US (and still don't to this day for some reason). I think they could play around the US festival circuit and really have the potential to draw in a crowd, since we are finally developing a base similar to the European fests now.
That's still one band that I'd like to catch nearby. It sucks that the Pacific Northwest never gets much representation from bands further away.
(03-25-2017, 02:20 PM)Painkiller Wrote: That's still one band that I'd like to catch nearby. It sucks that the Pacific Northwest never gets much representation from bands further away.

That's true, I really do feel the only way to catch a decent set of bands is at festivals lately. I'm fortunate to live in the Tristate area because if bands aren't playing in the city, then they will play in the suburbs. There's bound to be a date on any band's tour that I am able to catch if I wanted, but I can't imagine how dreaded it would be for the more rural areas. I know RG played in Spain for their reunion thing (weird choice), but I hope they are able to get here soon. Would be killer to hear it
Just announced. I'll be picking this up.
Quote:London, UK-based trio Rock Goddess return with a brand new 3-song EP entitled It's More Than Rock And Roll, which is set to be released on May 19th. Digital distribution via Cargo Records and physical CDs, with a 4-page booklet in a jewel case by Rock Goddess directly. The first 500 copies will be signed and numbered.

Well, it's only taken them 30 years, but finally the original, classic Rock Goddess trio have released new product. Except that we should NOT see this three-track EP as a follow-up to the self-titled, debut album put out in 1983. Oh no, this is a complete affirmation that Jody Turner (guitar/vocals), Tracey Lamb (bass) and Julie Turner (drums) are fully relevant to the hard rock scene in 2017. So, if you are nestling down for a comfortable trip into the borough of Nostalgia, South London, then you had better be prepared to have this notion scrambled, and then served up with music that has a huge taste for contemporary aptitude and attitude.

In the early 1980s, Rock Goddess made a reputation for delivering songs with full frontal riffs, snapping rhythms and snappy melodies. That hasn't altered. Since the three reunited in 2013, they've proven to be an energized, committed live band not reliant on past glories, but hell bent on the pursuit of an even more electrifying future.

Of course, in those formative years, the three went out to establish themselves by taking the best influences and twisting these to suit their talents. Now, though, they have a heritage to live up to. And do it with the confidence, craftsmanship and charisma of a band who know their considerable worth.

The EP is called It's More Than Rock And Roll, which is a statement of how committed the three are to their cause. Jody Turner wrote all the songs and also produced them, with Wes Maebe mixing and mastering the record. And the man has previously worked with a fine array of talents, including Roger Waters, Sir Tim Rice, The Buzzcocks and Beverley Knight. It's obvious what Rock Goddess have done in the studio is take their sharply honed instincts, using these to let rip with a clear-sighted, rousing momentum. “It's More Than Rock And Roll” itself is a mid-paced roaster that has genuine depth, yet a chant-a-long chorus to get everyone on their feet. The lyrics betray the Goddess' complete immersion in the passion of this genre. The video for this song will premiere on Vintage TV at Nicky Horne's Friday Rock Show on April 21st, 10 PM, GMT.

“Back Off” sees the band locked into an assaulting groove, one full of a spirit born from that essential, yet so often elusive balance between virtuosity and aggression.

“We're All Metal” not only namechecks iconic artists across metal and rock's past and present, but is an anthem for all ages. From six to 96, it'll get everyone pumping out the horn sign!

This is Rock Goddess 2017, still thankfully linked to the way they were in 1983, but taking it on to a fresh level.

“It's been a long time coming, but we got there,” says Jody. “We are so proud of this, and of each other. We hope people enjoy it as much as we want them to.”
Source
Buy official Rock Goddess shirts and other memorabilia at their Big Cartel, where you can also pre-order the upcoming EP.
New music video.

I forgot to leave my thoughts on their new EP, but I'll do so now. Ugh, as much as I'm happy to see them back and playing shows, that was such a lackluster listen. The vocals are tired, the riffs are unimaginative, and the plastic production job seals it. Thank goodness that I now know better than to waste thirty dollars on a CD that's going to be a one-time affair.

Still leaving out hope for a full-length album that even sounds anything like Hell Hath No Fury.
Lame. Sad
Sad news, I was happy when saw they returned with their classic line up. Let's hope they get a substitute soon, and that she came to stay.
"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"
I feel the same way. I'm still hoping for a new album pretty soon. A disappointment to everyone, especially as they were just about to play in Denmark. Sad