(10-23-2015, 01:20 AM)Wrecked Neck Wrote: If the criticism is justified you might have a point, but lets be honest, you never listened to it with an open mind. You were bashing it long before it was released.

Remember this when you assumed that I never listened to the whole album yet I've listened to it all?

P.S. - This getting off topic WTF?
My band projects: Bloody Rage (Extreme Metal, Crust/Hardcore/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
(10-23-2015, 01:20 AM)Wrecked Neck Wrote: If the criticism is justified you might have a point, but lets be honest, you never listened to it with an open mind. You were bashing it long before it was released. I agree that middle grounds exist, they could have cut about three songs that do take away from the alum as a whole making it a bit boring at times. But overall I think they did a much better job with it than their last album. That one is about as bad ss it gets, next to no prayer the dying.
As far as I recall, I expressed that they just didn't have any magic left in them, and that was before the album was even announced. You're correct on that.

On the contrary, there is such a thing as changing your mind, so I tried to give the album a chance. Apart from a couple of decent solos and tolerable vocals, nothing else really caught my attention. I initially expected another boring, overlong album, and listening to it for as long as I could already confirmed my suspicions. Better than nothing to make an informed observation.
I'm not going to get into specifics of what I believe peoples listening habits actually are; I will say this though:

One listen through an album is enough to get a sense of whether or not you like it, however, it is not enough to write a fair and critical assessment of the album in a review.
A new Saxon album is in the works. Working with producer Andy Sneap. More information will be revealed soon.

Hoping that they'll return to North American soil again. Seeing them on the same night as Venom Inc. would rule.

In the meantime, keep your eyes on this:

Demon Records Wrote:Demon Records are releasing the second Saxon vinyl box set called The Vinyl Hoard on the 28th October. This is the first release on vinyl for these live recordings which were only ever released on CD or DVD. The box includes four 2LP sets on gold vinyl.

Be quick and grab the Amazon Exclusive which comes with a frameable print of the front cover painting designed by Paul Gregory and signed by Biff! These are limited to just 500 copies!
(09-17-2016, 03:01 AM)Painkiller Wrote: A new Saxon album is in the works. Working with producer Andy Sneap. More information will be revealed soon.

Hoping that they'll return to North American soil again. Seeing them on the same night as Venom Inc. would rule.

In the meantime, keep your eyes on this:

Do you know if Venom Inc. is coming back to the US? I recall talking to their merch guy at MDF and he suggested that the band wanted to, but I'm not sure if it's happening.
No idea on when they'll be back, but I reckon that we'll be seeing more of them here than Satan, another actively touring band. It would be a great night of NWOBHM madness to catch all three bands on the same bill.
Wheels of Steel
Strong Arm of the Law
Denim and Leather
The Eagle Has Landed - Live
All on vinyl, purchased at the time.
Pretty happy with this and though I've heard a few more albums this is all I own.
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

At this point, the only Saxon I have is this...but its 3 CDs:

You think when Biff sings "Where were you in 79?" these days that only 10% of the crowd were actually there.WTF?
Ah saxon one of the best nwobhm bands ever, do remember back when a class mate lent me the 'power and the glory' tape, it was 1984 i believe, i was hooked to say the least, then got driven up the wall when i bought this 'wheels of steel' lp...... the memories
Looking forward to the new album.
Quote:Vocalist Biff Byford of British heavy metal legends SAXON spoke to EonMusic about the progress of the recording sessions for the band's follow-up to 2015's "Battering Ram" album. He said: "Yeah, we got about nine drum tracks laid down. We're running two studios at the same time, so we're writing in one, and recording in the other, and we're tripping backwards and forwards when we're working. We've got a lot of ideas already; me and Nibbs [Carter, bassist] have got shitloads, and we’re just working through ideas with the band, really."

Asked how long they will spend in the studio working on the new SAXON album, Biff said: "We'll be in until the end of this week, and then we're off to Sweden to a festival. Then we come back in about a week before the tour, and we spend a week recording, and then we go straight on tour on the 28th October. So yeah, we'll have a three-week break in the middle, but I'll probably be writing lyrics and doing melodies then. I usually do that on my own."

SAXON's new album will include a song called "They Played Rock And Roll", dedicated to MOTÖRHEAD.

"Yeah, that's on its way," Biff said. "I've finished the lyrics for that, and it will make the album. It's about the eighties, really. It's about the 'Bomber' tour, and 'Ace Of Spades'. That's when we first met them; on the 'Bomber' tour, we supported them, so it's about that, and the album 'No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith', and the subsequent '80s scene."

"Battering Ram" was released last October in North America via UDR Music. The album featured Byford alongside Paul Quinn and Doug Scarratt on guitar, Nibbs Carter on bass and Nigel Glockler on drums.
I still haven't gotten around to purchasing Battering Ram; couldn't find a copy for cheap-ish.
Have you checked eBay?
Painkiller: When I remember I check from time to time. I don't go for ones that have a lot of action on them.
Let's hope no riffs were stolen.
Quote:British heavy metal legends SAXON had their phones, passports and wallets stolen from their dressing room earlier today (Friday, June 1) at the U Rock festival at Campus Arena in Umeå, Sweden. The bandmembers have been able to travel following the theft, but some of their crew have not.

The group says: "[We've had] no luck in tracking the phones but we are checking regularly and the police are involved. We also have a witness, so hopefully this person is caught — especially before he strikes again!"

SAXON is continuing to tour in support of its latest release, "Battering Ram", and the live DVD "Let Me Feel Your Power". The band recently spent time in the studio working on a new studio album for an early 2018 release.

Due to demand following their hugely successful tour together in March and April, SAXON and UFO have announced more dates in the U.S., plus two in Canada, in September and October.

SAXON is: Biff Byford (vocals), Paul Quinn (guitar), Nigel Glockler (drums), Doug Scarrett (guitar) and Tim "Nibbs" Carter (bass).
I am happy they can still tour but poor crew who was left behind. Sad
New Saxon album this January 2018. Knight
Quote:Yorkshire, England-based metal group Saxon have set Thunderbolt as the title of their 22nd full-length studio album, tentatively slated for January 2018 issue.

The outing is being produced by Andy Sneap, once again.

Thunderbolt will feature a tribute composition to late Motörhead frontman Lemmy, entitled ’They Played Rock And Roll’. “There’s not much to tell, really,” frontman Biff Byford told Metal Forces in an October 2016 interview feature. “It’s a song about that tour, the 1979 tour basically. I asked Nibbs (Carter, bass) to write a song that was similar in style to Motörhead, which he did. He wrote the guitar riffs and everything, and I put lyrics to it that I had already written. So, it was a pretty easy song for us to do.”

Saxon’s line-up is as follows;

Biff Byford (lead vocals)
Paul Quinn (guitars)
Doug Scarratt (guitars)
Nibbs Carter (bass)
Nigel Glockler (drums)

Twenty-first studio record Battering Ram was released in October 2015 via UDR Music.
Source
I already have half of those albums...

Quote:British heavy metal legends SAXON will release "The Solid Book Of Rock" on August 4. The set comprises fourteen discs in total — not only all nine of SAXON's studio albums from 1991 to 2009 but eight bonus tracks and two bonus CDs — "Classics Re-Recorded", originally issued with the initial pressings of "Killing Ground", and "Lionheart - Rough Studio Mix", originally issued on the 2006 limited edition. This metal-tastic book set also contains three bonus DVDs — the limited-edition DVDs originally released with "Lionheart", "The Inner Sanctum" and "Into The Labyrinth". All this, packaged in a sumptuous 24-page, 12" x 12" booklet with all the lyrics and credits, plus photos with fabulous brand-new cover painting by Paul R. Gregory.

An exclusive limited-edition containing a print signed by SAXON singer Biff Byford will also be available from Amazon.

Byford says: "It's worth getting just for the artwork. A great piece of SAXON history, and, don't forget, I get to play King Arthur. I didn't get the Oscar that year or anything else for that matter."

"The Solid Book Of Rock" comprises SAXON's studio albums 1991-2009 — that's a massive nine original albums plus two bonus CDs and three bonus DVDs.

The albums are:

* Solid Ball Of Rock
* Forever Free
* Dogs Of War
* Unleash The Beast
* Metalhead
* Killing Ground
* Lionheart
* The Inner Sanctum
* Into The Labyrinth
The Eagle Has Landed Pt. II

Peoples thoughts on this or a review of this would be cool.
Ps not heard it myself.

Anyone??
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

Looks like they are done with the new album.

I think Saxon is the only band you can truly say they never released a bad album. Even those considered "comercial", like Innocence Is No Excuse and Destiny, are great, though less heavy than the others.
"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"
I wasn't a fan of Rock the Nations or Destiny, but I'm there with you on Innocence Is No Excuse. It's more of a polished affair than even Crusader, but I found it much more memorable and hook-laden. I will never understand why some people think that Saxon was only good until 1983. If you ask me, their self-titled debut album is probably one of their worst releases, as it sounds nothing like what they would play a year later.
Haha, I like their first album, at least some songs, but I agree it isn't good at all.
I think almost band from the late '70s and early '80s has gone throught that in the middle '80s, because the american hard rock was very strong, specially in the USA.
It's like a really bad version of Rainbow. There are some songs that clearly are Saxon by sound, but Wheels of Steel and especially Strong Arm of the Law steamroll that album. I don't hate it, but it's just very underwhelming.

Saxon has been ridiculously consistent since releasing Solid Ball of Rock, an album that I feel really needs more appreciation. I think I like it just a little more than Dogs of War. Unleash the Beast and Metalhead are incredible, though.
Strong Arm Of The Law is their best album, in my opinion, really amazing.
You're right, Solid Ball of Rock should get more attention, is great too, an excellent mix of their usual rock 'n roll style with the heavyness of Metal.
i actually have a soft spot for their debut, my favorite tracks off of it is actually "Judgement Day" and "Backs to the Wall" (which i saw Saxon play when i saw 'em). but yeah, the other albums kinda do overshadow it.

can't wait for the new album.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
For those of you who picked up Parlophone Records' 2014 Original Album Series boxed set featuring their first four albums and live album The Eagle Has Landed, hold on real tight to that reissue. I did a curious price check, and there aren't many copies floating by nowadays. There's one eBay seller pulling a Zionist move by asking eighty dollars for a sealed copy. Fuck that shit.

I may replace mine with actual jewel cases, but in case any of you need it, I'd definitely consider letting it go at a very fair price, especially if you live in the United States. I already have Wheels of Steel as its own regular version. Personally, I want to get earlier Saxon CDs that don't have any extra songs, as I never liked the trend of slapping one or two live songs on a reissue. I'd rather get the entire live album of that set, if possible.
The album's thread was locked in accordance to one month since its release, so I'll post this music video below:

Great song. I need to pick up the new Saxon. Seen some live footage on the tour with Priest and they sound great.
I'm interested. Smile
Quote:SAXON frontman Biff Byford has confirmed in a new interview with "Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon" that he is continuing to work on material for his upcoming solo album. Asked how the record will be different from the music he has released with the legendary British heavy metal band, Biff said (hear audio below): "I think it's probably gonna be a bit more rock and roll, a bit more classic rock. I mean, I've got seven songs, and it's quite mixed, really. But I'll have to wait and see."

Byford added that he doesn't compose music with a specific direction in mind. "The way I write is I write individual songs — I don't write albums, per se," he said.

"People say, 'What's the concept behind the album?' I go, 'There's no concept,'" he explained. "The concept is write as many great songs as possible and see if our fans like it."

With regards to when he expects to see his solo album completed, Biff said: "Well, I'm writing on the road already. I'm writing some stuff with Nibbs [Carter, SAXON bassist], I'm writing a bit of stuff on my own. We [SAXON] finish [touring] here in May, in America. I think we've only got two weeks off, and we start again. So I'm gonna try to get some time. It's the writing that takes the time, not the recording. You can record things really quickly."

Biff went on to say that his solo album will probably feature a number of guest musicians. "I'm gonna ask various people [to appear on the record]," he said. "It's not easy for guitarists to work with you, because they just smack down their signature solo and off you go. Singers, I might do some duets and things. We'll see. I wanna get the songs written first, and then see who wants to work on them. I'll probably have a nucleus of a drummer and a bass player, although I might play bass myself. I've still got my Rickenbacker."

Asked why he just doesn't use the extra material for a future SAXON album instead of setting it aside for his solo disc, Biff said: "Well, I did. Actually, 'Roadie's Song' [off SAXON's 2018 album 'Thunderbolt'] was a solo album project. And I do move them across all the time. And actually, originally, 'They Played Rock And Roll' was a solo-album idea [that also ended up on 'Thunderbolt']. So I do that all the time. And I do have songs that me and Nibbs have written for SAXON that I didn't think were right for SAXON that might end up on my solo album."
Painkiller: I'm with you on finding copies of Saxon CDs that don't have 200 bonus songs. The only one I was able to get like that in the original press was Crusader, and it took a few years to get one for a reasonable price. 

Re: Thunderbolt; it feels pretty middle of the road for me. Nothing amazing, nothing terrible. I'm not sure I'd revisit this one ever really.
@gloveofmetal (Instagram)
Does anyone have Saxon: 10 Years Of Denim And Leather: Live 1990 in their collection? I might've mentioned previously that I picked up the digipak reissue that comes with an additional disc (DVD) of the same set, so you could choose whether or not to just listen to the music on your stereo or watch the performance on your DVD player. I personally don't like using DVDs for audio-only playback, as CDs are more ideal for tracks. So, really, this is a good deal. Best of both worlds.
I'm just addicted to Saxon all week long! To be particular, their post-Destiny outings. With all due respect, I'm tired of hearing Wheels of Steel, that album is starting to sound dated. Everything released since 1995 just sounds so much more revitalized, powerful, and tastefully modern. There's NOTHING wrong with a modern sound, unless the production is pretty much cannibalized by polish and sterility — Saxon is way too good to fall into that trap.

You know, "Dogs of War" was literally one of the first Saxon songs I'd ever heard, and even back then, I fucking loved that sound. It was such a heavy, thick guitar sound that really stuck to mind.
I have these 2 Saxon collections now...essentially everything from the very beginning up through 1988...plus an additional BBC Live collection. When I ripped them to my iTunes, I separated the albums by title. I want to digest these before getting any more. However, what I have heard of the later years' material I think is quite good.

Take your time with their discography.

If you'd like to start off with one post-1988 Saxon album, I think you would really go nuts over Metalhead — some of the chunkiest riffing ever put down by this band, I'd say. I consider it the band's Painkiller!