The Computers & Technology Thread
Another old thread that we're resurrecting.

Talk about your computer's specs, the future of technology, thoughts on smartphones and tablets, and much more.
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
Window 8 = Hipster version of Window Vista.

I'm using Window 8 as a current computer for gaming, surfing the internet and emulator. I also using Window 7 for making music and uploading my songs into soundcloud. Let me tell you about window 8......

DON'T BUY WINDOW 8 LAPTOP OR COMPUTER

The reason to not waste your time on deciding whether to buy it or not is because of the touchscreen function. Everytime i tried to clean up my screen on my laptop, it always seem to click the wrong stuff as i not commended it to do. Even if you put your finger into it, then it will still click on the wrong stuff. So definitely, stick with Window 7.
My band projects: Bloody Rage (Extreme Metal, Crust/Hardcore/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
I am using an Acer Chromebook - got it almost a year ago for under $200. For what I use it for it is great, only complaints I have would be the small screen and when Google updates stuff like they did with Youtube recently I had issues playing videos.

The first computer I ever used was an Apple II and then we got the IIe's at my school. The first system my family ever bought was an Apple IIc, I actually had some cool games on there - Death in the Caribbean, the old Ultima series, Castle Wolfenstein, One on One (Larry Bird vs Dr. J), King's Quest... Things have changed A LOT since then!
(02-24-2014, 02:21 PM)Speedball Wrote: I am using an Acer Chromebook - got it almost a year ago for under $200. For what I use it for it is great, only complaints I have would be the small screen and when Google updates stuff like they did with Youtube recently I had issues playing videos.
I never tried a Chromebook, and I don't think I really want to. It's a shame Skype doesn't work on your machine.

My Dell Studio 1555 laptop has been pretty hot lately (likely because of dust inside). I guess it's time to go buy some compressed air.
I have laptop...it's the Macbook Pro Retina 13". I think a lot of people are starting to lean more towards laptops nowadays however there are those that insist that desktops are superior. What kind of computer do you have?
I have a computer that computes.
I own a couple.

1) Dell Studio XPS X1340
2) Dell Dimension 9100
3) HP Business Desktop DX2810 MicroTower (64-bit)
HP xw4400 Workstation
I have an Acer Chromebook I scored a year or so ago for under $200, it gets the job done for my purposes although I am forced to use my phone living out here in the country for the time being. I have an old Apple IIc boxed away here somewhere, first computer my family got - I should break it out just to play some Ultima or Castle Wolfenstein...
"I saw Kirk Hammet pick up Tiny Tim's ukulele and play some Metallica solos...sounded JUST like the record..."

"If you listen to BM, but you don’t know what phase the moon is in, or what wild flowers are blooming then you have failed. It is shocking to me that one could be seriously interested in Black Metal and not be deeply committed to radical ecology."
Apple IIg
Too embarased to even say. I usually use my phone, I only get 2 hours of computer time at home per each day.
Laptop.
I have a Acer laptop with a 2 GB DDR3 memory along with 500 GB HDD, i had this since 2012 since in 2011 i was using my mom's laptop that was baught somewhere around 2005 or 2006?, anyways, that laptop in 2011 got a maleware virus that was SO bad it fucked up the computer really bad and won't turn on, so my mom and dad baught me a laptop in 2012.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
For any of you into downloading and managing your files, what storage formats do you use to back up your data? In the past, I've used CD-Rs and DVD-Rs to maintain my files, but I'm now using an external hard drive.
I have two external hard drives, one is less big (size-wise) and the other is alot bigger, so i'm all fine and dandy.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
Sometimes I use cd-r's for storage,mostly I use a USB memory stick.
I'm using windows 8 too. I'm more used to it but there's just a lot of unnecessary crap on it. Sometimes I accidentally "drag" on the screen and opens to an app that I don't wanna use. I like the touchscreen feature, I usually forget I have it though haha, but I would rather have it with windows 7.
As soon as support for Windows 7 ends, I'll probably cancel my Internet subscription; no way am I "upgrading" to Windows 8.
I wanna get me one of them sex 'droids!

Saving up right now! shits are expensive!!!

(08-16-2014, 11:30 AM)Painkiller Wrote: As soon as support for Windows 7 ends, I'll probably cancel my Internet subscription; no way am I "upgrading" to Windows 8.

Windows 8 is terrible! >Oh
(08-16-2014, 11:14 AM)Spirit Crusher Wrote: I'm using windows 8 too. I'm more used to it but there's just a lot of unnecessary crap on it. Sometimes I accidentally "drag" on the screen and opens to an app that I don't wanna use. I like the touchscreen feature, I usually forget I have it though haha, but I would rather have it with windows 7.

That what kills me right there on my computer
My band projects: Bloody Rage (Extreme Metal, Crust/Hardcore/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
I use windows 8 aswell.I use it as it is windows 7.I got rid of all these appthingies,they are on the hardrive but not on my screen/file anymore and all are set off.One thing about windows 8 I still can't used to is the gallerysection,it's far from handy.Aside from that I have no problems with it.
Post your favorite programs for maintenance or security.

Some of my favorite maintenance programs are developed by Piriform, which includes CCleaner for registry errors and removing temporary files and cookies, Defraggler as a much better alternative to Microsoft's own Disk Defragmenter, and Speccy for details that range from hardware information to fan speeds and system temperatures.

For security, I've always found Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and PeerBlock to be quite effective. Great tools.

I highly recommend the aforementioned programs, especially since they're all freeware. You can still upgrade to a few more features, though.
AVG
MalwareBytes
PeerBlock
Spybot
Comodo
I've been busy reviving an old laptop of mine that suffered from really low memory, which I plan on using for practicing coding and exploring Linux. Just boosted its RAM to its maximum of 2 GB.
Heh I should really start savin' up for a tower first and foremost. Would love to get back into gaming and film, my old PC is done for but the keyboard, mouse etc are fine. Dang thing just won't boot. So many viruses and slow computer too. Gotta also get myself an external HD
SLOWLY getting back into collecting.. buying tapes for now
Do you go PC or MAC? Personaly MAC for recording music but everything else about it not-so-great, I would choose PC or Linux.
I never cared for any of Apple's products. Despite all the shit that Microsoft gets nowadays, there was once a time when they ruled the industry.
I'm too used to PC. But i've used MAC before back in my childhood. So i haven't used MAC much these days but PC is what i've used all day.

PC, although Mac's are better for video editing, and music, etc.
Every OS have advantage and disadvantage.for me i never tried mac,it's too expensive here
I've used a Mac since college. Haven't had the desire to switch back.
As of right now, I'm using my custom Dell Optiplex 780 desktop and I'm back to Windows 7 again! Fuck Windows 8 and its dogshit features!

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Core (upgrading it soon to quad core)
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS (upgrading soon)
Memory: 16 GB Ram
Storage: 1 TB

(10-31-2015, 12:48 AM)MetalSamurai1014 Wrote: As of right now, I'm using my custom Dell Optiplex 780 desktop and I'm back to Windows 7 again! Fuck Windows 8 and its dogshit features!

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Core (upgrading it soon to quad core)
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS (upgrading soon)
Memory: 16 GB Ram
Storage: 1 TB
Sounds like you've got a great machine for recording and high-end gaming.
When buying used desktops at thrift stores, never ask the employees to test them out for you before you buy. Chances are that if you're told to pay ten dollars for a tower and then have it checked out, they'll triple or quadruple the price. Let's not forget the awesome "discount" that comes with it! Seriously, do your fucking research before you mislead your customers. I'm so pissed off that my chances of getting a cheaply priced desktop without consulting eBay or Amazon.com listings are now cut thin.

Fucking Zionist Christian asswipes! Angry
Just uninstalled Windows 10 and let me tell you, they love to get into your computer and watch you 24/7 because of how paranoid they are. I used a program (DWS_Lite) to block out everything that Microsoft monitor and other things on my computer with the combination of using VPN program. I downgrade back to Windows 7 because i didn't feel comfortable with 10 and Windows 10 fucked up my network connections after i downgraded that it said that it's connected but i couldn't go on the internet. Thanks to the solution that solved this problem with my network not working on the internet. Good thing i have my phone. Otherwise i would of have no access to the internet at all. Like windows 8.

FUCK WINDOWS 10!!!!!!

For people who thinking about migrating to Windows 10, be careful of Microsoft monitoring you as you use it. If like privacy like me or everyone, stick with Windows 7 until 2020.

I upgraded to windows 10 back in december and knew what i was getting into BUT recently i came into a problem that has me worried since this also happened to my brother

(like normal) i put my computer in sleep mode ('cos i was going somewhere) and when i came back to turn my laptop on the screen would not come on, even though the i turned it back on, the screen was black, first time it happened to me and it may happen again and again before it stays black, this happened to my brother after he installed windows 10 and back in october it fucked him up to where i he had to get a new laptop

at this point i'm cautious.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
Awful. The cons outweigh the pros. At this point, it's either stay with Windows 7 or switch to Linux. I don't want a stay-at-home tablet.
(01-16-2016, 11:22 PM)Heavy Thrashhead Wrote: this happened to my brother after he installed windows 10 and back in october it fucked him up to where i he had to get a new laptop
You could just wipe the hard drive or replace it. An extra computer isn't a bad thing.
(01-16-2016, 11:26 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Awful. The cons outweigh the pros. At this point, it's either stay with Windows 7 or switch to Linux. I don't want a stay-at-home tablet.
You could just wipe the hard drive or replace it. An extra computer isn't a bad thing.

luckily me and him have external hard drives, usb sticks and sd cards to fill up with the important shit.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
(01-17-2016, 12:01 AM)Heavy Thrashhead Wrote: luckily me and him have external hard drives, usb sticks and sd cards to fill up with the important shit.
Backups are definitely a must. Wipe the hard drive, install another version of Windows or use Linux, and then restore all of your data.
(01-17-2016, 10:54 AM)Painkiller Wrote: Backups are definitely a must. Wipe the hard drive, install another version of Windows or use Linux, and then restore all of your data.

i may get a new computer this year and if this still works by then i'll keep this computer that i'm still using for other random shit.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
Get a SSD or cloud server, HDD has moving parts and eventually die out. But, with SSD or cloud you can use them for a long time. Actually... The cloud is rather your best option if you do not mind using it and am always connected. If your house burns down or you are on a trip how will you get your files?
But if you insist to keep physical storage I reccommend to get encryption incase it gets lost or stolen. It sucks when it happens!
(01-17-2016, 05:43 PM)vikingrocker Wrote: Get a SSD or cloud server, HDD has moving parts and eventually die out. But, with SSD or cloud you can use them for a long time. Actually... The cloud is rather your best option if you do not mind using it and am always connected. If your house burns down or you are on a trip how will you get your files?
But if you insist to keep physical storage I reccommend to get encryption incase it gets lost or stolen. It sucks when it happens!
Those drives are insanely priced, though. Hard drive longevity varies, depending on manufacturer, history of use, and so on. I won't get into cloud computing, but I agree with you that it has its benefits. The only two problems are security holes and having a bad Internet connection. USB flash drives are compact enough to hold lots of data, provided that you can't go anywhere without it.

Everything has its pros and cons. The most effective method is to not limit yourself to just one format for file storage.

Also, encryption should always be considered.
Well, I've finally completed upgrading my PC I'm using now. I just recently ordered a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 ti low profile and i got in the mail today. It was not that hard to install but i had being careful not to damage it badly. Now i can play almost any games on PC i want. I'm very happy with the result since I've upgraded my CPU and GPU. Here's my current rig as of now.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI) (low profile)
RAMS: 16 GB

In other word, fuck consoles!

(09-14-2016, 12:07 PM)MetalSamurai1014 Wrote: Well, I've finally completed upgrading my PC I'm using now. I just recently ordered a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 ti low profile and i got in the mail today. It was not that hard to install but i had being careful not to damage it badly. Now i can play almost any games on PC i want. I'm very happy with the result since I've upgraded my CPU and GPU. Here's my current rig as of now.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI) (low profile)
RAMS: 16 GB

In other word, fuck consoles!
Looks like a good setup to me. What games have you played so far?
(09-16-2016, 01:37 AM)Painkiller Wrote: Looks like a good setup to me. What games have you played so far?

Toxikk (900p 60+ fps)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - First Assault Online (beta) (900p/1080p 60+ fps)

Counter Strike Global Offensive (900p/1080p 60-150 FPS)

Insurgency (900p 60 FPS)

Rise Of The Triad (2013) (900p about 60 fps)

I have an iMac desktop computer I've had since 2014. I have a MacBook Air. The best computers I've ever had. Smile
Has anyone heard of Flex Storage on Android? I got back to using Android again because fuck crApple it's a garbage company that their products has been shit since Steve Jobs died. Okay let slide on that kind of subject on another time. So for those of you who haven't heard about flex storage, it's one of the hidden features on android marshmallow 6.0 OS system that allowed users to be able to increase their internal storage of their phones so they could never run out of spaces. So let say your phone is 32 GB internal storage, if you add like the 32 GB micro SD card on your phone and using the Flex storage setting, then you'll gain about 64 GB combine. This is very useful for anyone who want to increase their storage on their phones that worried about not enough spaces. I know this works on Motorola phones. Maybe HTC and LG but i don't know much about Samsung phones because some of the products you can't do due to the company "worried" about users fucking up the phone.

Here's how it works. I did the similar method on this video.

Do you guys usually defragment your hard drives? I'm starting to get really annoyed by the small percentage of fragmentation intact, even after doing a full defragment.
I use Defraggler, which is also free to download from Piriform. Works like a charm.
It's 2017, yet many people still use Internet Explorer. It's one of the worst conventional browsers to date. Although I'm pretty much disillusioned with Mozilla's cheap marketing tactics, I'd sooner put up with the resource hog known as Firefox than use another buggy, vulnerable, outdated piece of software again.

Midori is a great Firefox alternative on a Linux machine, by the way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Do You See Technology in the Next Couple of Decades? Painkiller 4 264 04-15-2018, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Ironmaidens666