The Computers & Technology Thread
(07-25-2018, 09:27 PM)Metalmaniaxe Wrote: Won my first FOSS related argument today.

Good job. It is very very difficult to actually win any arguments on the internet. Laugh
Quote this message in a reply
(07-25-2018, 11:42 PM)Painkiller Wrote: My next GNU/Linux install will be Manjaro Linux. I got a 1 TB internal HDD on its way, so I'm going to entertain the idea of moving my data from one computer to it, while replacing its OS. Getting tired of always choosing Xfce, but I'm not yet sold on KDE. I never liked the ugliness of LXQt's interface, nor would I find it to be as versatile as MATE or even Cinnamon.

I don't mind the Ubuntu base at all. For the most part, Linux Mint is the least broken OS in the family of GNU/Linux distros, although that's also in part of some safety rails being put in place. A vanilla Arch Linux install borders Gentoo's learning curve, and I'm honestly not always in the mood to be compiling things. Granted, having OPTIONS is a nice thing, but I just want to use a computer without any stress.

What made you switch to Manjaro? When I ran it, the thought of being on the bleeding edge of updates was pretty cool until the novelty wore off, especially when I had to constantly install software from the AUR. Whatever the case, as you mentioned Manjaro is probably the "nicest" of Arch-based distros to play with and I hope whatever DE you choose suits your needs. I'm still running Lubuntu on my ancient Dell laptop only because I wanted a light, dumbed-down simple distro that would be quick to reinstall just in case if I brick it due to user error. That and you can't argue with the massive Ubuntu repositories. 

(07-26-2018, 08:06 AM)Dudemanguy Wrote: Good job. It is very very difficult to actually win any arguments on the internet. Laugh

I'd say the biggest thing to take into consideration is empathy. Usually when a person starts an argument, they're speaking from a much more emotional (therefore not necessarily logical) side of themselves. If you can understand where they are coming from, maybe both of you can reach a solid agreement where everyone wins to some extent. Needless to say, I've come a very long ways in GNU/Linux since my Raspberry Pi days and I'm glad to have incorporated some of RMS' philosophy (albeit not all of it) into my computing habits.
I suppose many people will continue moving towards careless computing, because there's a sucker born every minute. - RMS 

For the most part, I would say that it's a rolling release and offers a more diverse package system. By default, a lot of Ubuntu repositories contain outdated packages (Wine is still at 1.6!), but if you start adding PPAs and shit like that, you can take advantage of the situation.

I still highly enjoy Linux Mint for personal use, but I'd like more than just that at some point. Smile
Visit this user's website
Personally I've always preferred the rolling release model. I'm a grown up. I can handle a little bit of potential instability. Wink In all seriousness, I done updates after like 6 months or so with no ill effects. Bleeding edge has been very beneficial to me in the past. I remember kernel 3.4 or so had some major improvements to battery life for me. Since I was running Arch at the time (currently I use Artix which is a systemd-free fork of Arch), I got the new kernels as soon as they hit stable. Other distros were still running really old kernels for many months.

Also, AUR >>>>> adding PPAs. Tongue
I'm at a point in my GNU+Linux adventures where I'd like to become more familiar with the ins and outs of the system. For the most part, I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and keeping short notes in Vim. Here's a compressed tar file of my findings. If anyone would like to share their knowledge, it would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm playing with gpg encryption and trying to learn how the kernel handles drivers through kernel modules (which I find fascinating). I've even downloaded the Linux kernel and poked around the various files getting a sense of how things are organized. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J7eeOO...2RlJ4CabwI

I'm also learning how domain name registration and hosting works. As always, man is probably my most often-used command and my Arch Wiki bookmark sees daily use. Big Grin

Thanks again. I hope in the near future I'll be able to write and share my own kernel modules (or safely compile my own custom kernel for that matter).
I suppose many people will continue moving towards careless computing, because there's a sucker born every minute. - RMS 

(07-29-2018, 08:15 PM)Metalmaniaxe Wrote: Thanks again. I hope in the near future I'll be able to write and share my own kernel modules (or safely compile my own custom kernel for that matter).

Compiling a kernel is easy. Writing useful kernel modules, well that's much harder. Tongue
(07-30-2018, 06:19 PM)Dudemanguy Wrote: Compiling a kernel is easy. Writing useful kernel modules, well that's much harder. Tongue

I'm still pretty new to compiling/building ANYTHING from source, be it the kernel or a software package. I'm taking things one step at a time and I hope to get better in the future. If anything, I now consider whether or not a kernel module exists for a particular piece of hardware before buying it.

My USB wireless adapter has been running low on juice lately, so I pretty much yanked it and went back to Ethernet. Since it's not a laptop, it's not like I'm going to be moving it around. In fact, I keep all of my laptops stationed at all times.

The speeds were pretty abysmal, especially when using a VPN (I'd never browse the Internet without one at this point), so I won't be missing the torture anytime soon. I should grab a few more Ethernet cords, by the way...
Transferred some old Mini DV tapes over FireWire today using a program called Kino. Worked fine without a hitch, which is surprising considering a lot of people have had bad luck with FireWire transfers in Linux considering it's a dead standard. The only dumb thing is Kino creates a new clip every time there's a pause/stop/cut in the tape.

My Pale Moon installs have all been upgraded to 28.0.0. I couldn't be happier with the faster speeds.
Planning on repurposing my Raspberry Pi as a headless host system so I can connect my ancient computers as dumb terminals over RS-232 serial. I think it'll be fun doing some IRC sessions on 30+ year old hardware.

Pretty harrowing article on hacking high wattage IoT devices to wreak havoc on power grids. This is why I'm not a fan of anything 'smart'.

The "internet of things" is the stupidest shit ever.
(08-25-2018, 07:28 AM)Dudemanguy Wrote: The "internet of things" is the stupidest shit ever.

Agreed. I don't understand why people feel the need to have every single appliance connected to the internet. I'm perfectly capable of getting up and checking what I have in my fridge lol.

(08-25-2018, 02:43 PM)Metalmaniaxe Wrote: Agreed. I don't understand why people feel the need to have every single appliance connected to the internet. I'm perfectly capable of getting up and checking what I have in my fridge lol.

Designed to make things easier.
Make things more annoying you mean. My refrigerator doesn't need to have a fucking wifi connection. Tongue
Exactly! I don't need my wifi bandwidth getting clogged up with data farming appliances. If my fridge needs stocked, I'm more than capable of getting off my ass and going to the store. To me, smart appliances are not only making us dumber (no surprise there), but they're also taking the fun of living out of life.

Just placed an order on the NETGEAR Nighthawk S8000 switch.
I guess I can actually upgrade my motherboard's CPU by an additional two cores without changing to a different model. Looking forward to seeing how that one goes, especially since I can get two monitors hooked up now.
Soon you'll be able to compile at blazing speeds. Tongue
Moderning up to 2010! Laugh
My switch arrived! I thought I ordered the router at first, but this is very convenient, too. I'll still get the router soon.
Let's see if getting that new router will lower my pings.

Anyone have any experiences with Motorola modems? I'm currently using Arris.
(09-07-2018, 01:43 AM)Painkiller Wrote: Anyone have any experiences with Motorola modems? I'm currently using Arris.

I'm using a Motorola modem router right now on LAN connection. So far it wasn't giving me any problems unlike the modem I deal with in the past. Setting up within the IP address of the modem is simple to set up.
My band projects: Bloody Rage (Extreme Metal, Crust/Hardcore/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
Picked up an ancient HP Pavillion XE743 today from a co worker for the price of nothing. It has a Celeron processor running at a blazing 600MHz, 64MHz of DDR RAM, and comes with Win98 installed on an expansive 20GB IDE hard drive. Tongue And what's cool is the previous elderly owner had been using it stock/as is up until 2009.

I'm torn between turning it into a late 90s Windows/DOS gaming rig and doing Linux-related experiments on it Whatever the case, I'm definitely going to be maxing out the ram to a half a gig in the near future.

I just bought SATA and power connectors for my main desktop's secondary HDD connection. The primary one is only 250 GB, whereas this one is 1 TB. I'm reinstalling Linux Mint 18.3 (it's perfect the way it is for now) on the 1 TB HDD, and setting up LUKS on LVM. Once that's done, I'm going to transfer that data over, although I'll have to take another look at my packages. If all goes well, I'm switching to it as my primary HDD. Perhaps the 250 GB HDD could be used for system backups.

Waiting on the quad core CPU to also arrive for the same machine. I plan on upgrading as much as humanly and financially possible. Never will I buy a "brand new" computer again.
For the most part, my Windows 98 gaming rig is complete. Maxed it out with 512MB of RAM (came stock with 64MB), installed a fresh copy of Win98SE on an 80GB HD (came with a 20GB one) and got a period correct USB wifi adapter that allows me to connect (somewhat) to the internet at a blistering 56kB/s. Sometime in the future I'd like get one of those CF card to IDE things to make file transferring easier.

I'm currently using Firefox 2.0.0.20 to type this, which was the last release that had 98 support. Needless to say it works infinitely better than IE (which sucked even back then!). The only bad thing is I'm using a 4:3 monitor and the majority of webpages, including this one, are widescreen, requiring me to horizontally scroll a lot. Other than that I'm pretty happy.

This computer is more or less a hobby unit used for playing DOS and late 90s games. If I come across another low end unit like this, I'd like to do a complete vintage Linux rig to complement it.

Congratulations I guess? Laugh
Looking forward to trying out a Monoprice HDMI adapter specifically for use in USB 2.0 ports. One of my towers is going to depend on it.
Fuck, it's over. Linux actually adopted a fucking code of conduct. Linus is taking a break for a while to learn "how to be nice to people" or some bullshit like that. I wish I was making this up. Suicide

Welp, my prediction is that kernel development will became SJW'd over the years and quality will decline. I fucking hate this world.
FUCK.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Do You See Technology in the Next Couple of Decades? Painkiller 4 264 04-15-2018, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Ironmaidens666