The Film Thread
Let's talk about our favorite movies, as well as upcoming ones we're interested in.

Speaking of upcoming movies, I'm looking forward to a definite sequel to 1988's Beetlejuice, one of my favorite comedy films. I loved the concept of its characters, settings, and overall plot.

Winona Ryder says that Tim Burton's still interested, so we'll see what happens. I'll probably not be expecting much, but I've seen much worse out there.

Besides, Michael Keaton hasn't been doing anything special with his acting career since after 1992's Batman Returns (unless you liked that shitty movie with Lindsay Lohan).
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
There is a movie i'm looking forward to seeing that has Michael Keaton and that is the Robocop remake (wich he is not going to play Robocop since he would look ridiculous), now i've seen the original first film and the second film, wich i consider classics, the third one was crap and the series ones were meh, so how can this remake be any worst than those, i will see it next wednesday since it get's released to theaters on that day.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
Going to the theaters to watch "Lone Survivor" looks like an interesting war movie.
(02-09-2014, 04:59 AM)Painkiller Wrote: Let's talk about our favorite movies, as well as upcoming ones we're interested in.

Speaking of upcoming movies, I'm looking forward to a definite sequel to 1988's Beetlejuice, one of my favorite comedy films. I loved the concept of its characters, settings, and overall plot.

Winona Ryder says that Tim Burton's still interested, so we'll see what happens. I'll probably not be expecting much, but I've seen much worse out there.

Besides, Michael Keaton hasn't been doing anything special with his acting career since after 1992's Batman Returns (unless you liked that shitty movie with Lindsay Lohan).

I'm surprised he didn't just get Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter again, like he's done with every new movie he's made lately. I can't say I have high expectations for this one, because I think Tim Burton has devolved significantly over the years. Some of his early movies were amazing, especially the old Batmans and yes, the original Beetlejuice. I just don't want to see him shit all over his legacy by making a sub-par cash-in of a sequel or remake.
(02-09-2014, 02:43 PM)Messiah X Wrote:
(02-09-2014, 04:59 AM)Painkiller Wrote: Let's talk about our favorite movies, as well as upcoming ones we're interested in.

I'm surprised he didn't just get Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter again, like he's done with every new movie he's made lately. I can't say I have high expectations for this one, because I think Tim Burton has devolved significantly over the years. Some of his early movies were amazing, especially the old Batmans and yes, the original Beetlejuice. I just don't want to see him shit all over his legacy by making a sub-par cash-in of a sequel or remake.
We'll have to wait and see. Perhaps it won't meet our expectations, but perhaps it won't be as bad as most commercial movies out nowadays.

And, yes, I agree with you that Johnny Depp is overused in Tim Burton's movies. I liked Edward Scissorhands, however, which was a fresh concept for its time.
(02-09-2014, 01:21 PM)Heavy Thrashhead Wrote: There is a movie i'm looking forward to seeing that has Michael Keaton and that is the Robocop remake (wich he is not going to play Robocop since he would look ridiculous), now i've seen the original first film and the second film, wich i consider classics, the third one was crap and the series ones were meh, so how can this remake be any worst than those, i will see it next wednesday since it get's released to theaters on that day.

How? Making it a PG-13 shit fest, taking key points of the movie out of a REMAKE and throwing in shit that make no sense, etc.

Only time I will see that pile of shit is when I stream it online.

As far as I am concerned, there is no Robocop remake, because that sorry ass excuse of a Robocop remake is not Robocop.
(02-09-2014, 02:48 PM)Painkiller Wrote:
(02-09-2014, 02:43 PM)Messiah X Wrote:

We'll have to wait and see. Perhaps it won't meet our expectations, but perhaps it won't be as bad as most commercial movies out nowadays.

And, yes, I agree with you that Johnny Depp is overused in Tim Burton's movies. I liked Edward Scissorhands, however, which was a fresh concept for its time.

Edward Scissorhands fits in with Burton's classic era, before he became a Hot Topic staple. I'm more referring to his more recent work, much of which is just so self-indulgent it becomes cringeworthy. Overusing Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, all the colorful CGI, and all the rehashed visuals and ideas from his classic days. It's like he's trying to recapture the impact of his masterpieces by doing the same exact things over and over again, only watered down and less inspired or original. Pinstripes were cool in the original Beetlejuice. I did not care to see them used on everything in Alice In Wonderland
(02-09-2014, 05:05 PM)Messiah X Wrote: Edward Scissorhands fits in with Burton's classic era, before he became a Hot Topic staple. I'm more referring to his more recent work, much of which is just so self-indulgent it becomes cringeworthy. Overusing Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, all the colorful CGI, and all the rehashed visuals and ideas from his classic days. It's like he's trying to recapture the impact of his masterpieces by doing the same exact things over and over again, only watered down and less inspired or original. Pinstripes were cool in the original Beetlejuice. I did not care to see them used on everything in Alice In Wonderland
I haven't really seen any recent movie starring Johnny Depp, aside from bits of 2003's Pirates of the Caribbean (Tim Burton didn't direct it, however).
I heard there's going to be a remake of The Warriors. I loved the original so I'm interested on how the remake will be executed. I'm not a big fan of a lot of remakes though so my expectations aren't that high.
The Warriors is another movie that cannot be remade. Hollywood will fuck it up. I can see it from a mile away.
You're probably right, I don't see how they could top the original.
Hollywood is just running out of ideas. I wouldn't want The Warriors to be remake by greedy hollywood people. Even though The Warriors is a good classic movie that i never get sick of watching.
My band projects: RanCoffin (Black Metal, Crust/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
Are their any good remakes? In my opnion there are none.

So far,I got no new movie I'm looking forward to.
Maybe Evil Dead?
My band projects: RanCoffin (Black Metal, Crust/D-Beat Punk) and Haunted Burial (Traditional Doom Metal)

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
Halloween had a great remake, the second one was not so much a remake, because they added shit that made not a lot of sense to the original.

Friday The 13th remake wasn't too bad, Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake (or that is what HOLLYFUCK) calls it was pretty fucking good.
Night of the Living Dead was a pretty good remake.
Dawn Of The Dead was a good remake as well.
(02-10-2014, 02:58 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: Are their any good remakes? In my opnion there are none.

So far,I got no new movie I'm looking forward to.
"Good" and "remake" seldom belong in the same sentence. Unfortunately, it appears that most "new" movies coming out are indeed butchers remakes of classic films.
Recent Movies I've viewed:

A Most Wanted Man (2014) (7/10). Good modern day spy thriller. Great performance from Phillip Seymour Hoffman. A little disappointed with the ending.

Mystic River (2003) (7/10). Only got around to first seeing this recently; fairly heavy film with some interesting turns. Leaves a little too much to interpretation at points. Bizarre near final scene between Sean Penn's character and his wife.

Tombstone (1993) (8.5/10). Good western with some great character acting from Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer; best role I've ever seen Kilmer play. Maybe a little to long in terms of viewing time.
These kind

http://www.listal.com/list/totally-fcked...ms-disturb
Recently saw Guardians of the Galaxy. I've been a longtime fan of James Gunn, ever since Slither and finding out retrospectively about his work with Troma. I've never heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy comic books, so I went in not knowing what to expect, but simply hoping that James pulled off an entertaining movie. What I saw far exceeded my expectations.

This is the way comic book movies should be made (well, Sin City and Watchmen did it great too in ways different from this, but back on topic...). It is an over the top action sci-fi with a touch of Star Wars like fantasy, with a healthy dose of quality comedy in the mix. It never takes itself too seriously like many of the other recent comic book movies, and seriously why should it? It had a gun-toting raccoon, a wannabe space pirate who's stuck in the 70's, and a talking tree for a cast. This is what you would get if you took Futurama and turned it into a sci fi epic. All of James Gunn's wit and style are here (there's even a Lloyd Kaufman cameo!) and it works best in a movie like this. However there are hints of great potential for a good series here. It doesn't need to tie into the other Marvel movies, they already have the Avengers for that. As a standalone, this works very well. Sure it's a CGI fest which I usually despise, but because it's so well written and hugely entertaining, that didn't grate on me at all. Highly recommended for anyone just looking for a fun movie. It's nothing new, but it's a fun nuanced take on a frankly overdone genre.
Upcoming movie As Above,So Below seems to be an interesting one.The trailer looks promising,I like this style of filming.

Anyone know of any movies like the ones on the list I linked currently available to watch instantly on netflix?
Latest views:

Sin City (2005)- 7/10. Never got around to seeing this until now. Enjoyable but easily enjoyed the first full-segment more than the rest of the movie

Mad Max 2: the Road Warrior (1981)- 4/10. The way this movie seemed to have been pieced together is just bizarre. Some good character acting but the first one is much better.

Black Moon Rising (1986)- 5/10. '80s action. Tommy Lee Jones does a good job but the story falls a little flat. Average.
Watched Where Eagles Dare for the first time whilst hungover, was great actually....
(08-22-2014, 10:12 PM)Mosher3183 Wrote: Watched Where Eagles Dare for the first time whilst hungover, was great actually....

Classic Clint Eastwood. An enjoyable one for sure.

Escape Plan (2013)- 6/10. For what it is...it isn't that bad.
Just saw Sin City 2 last night. Good, but I had some problems with it. I was a big fan of the graphic novels and the first movie was amazing. It really brought it to life (I agree with Phantasm here that "The Hard Goodbye" was the best segment). Even though the timeline is all out of order, the first movie had a flow that really worked for it. It could be confusing for people who never read the books or tried to work out the timeline, but it made a lot more sense. The second movie is riddled with inconsistencies and will make much less sense to people who are unfamiliar with the graphic novels. Why is Marv still alive? Isn't this a sequel? (Actually it's mostly a prequel, with one plotlibe being a direct sequel, although in terms of timeline it still takes place before most of Sin City 1). What's with all the new main characters? (Actually there is only one new main character who has a somewhat pointless story arc. Dwight from the first movie was recast because his story in Sin City 1 was after he had plastic surgery to change his face. Why they didn't just have Clive Owen use prostheses is beyond me though). Then the timeline inconsistencies, mostly due to the new Nancy story arc in which she falls into a deep depression and goes on a self destructive rampage for revenge. So many minor points made this otherwise decent storyline hard to follow. I won't get into too much detail, but it really derails the whole timeline of the series unless you really stretch your imagination.

The original Sin City was a near perfect movie to me. It is in my opinion the single best comic to film adaptation out there. Sure it's over the top, but it's supposed to be. I really wanted to love the sequel as much as the original, especially considering it would mostly be more of the comics that didn't make it into the first one. I just felt like the impact and momentum of the first one wasn't there. I'd still give it a solid 6 or 7 out of 10, but compared to the 9.5/10 I'd give the original, that's quite a disappointing drop. As much as I hate to descend into fanboy rage over details changing between the source material and the film, or stupid crap like "Han shot first," this had some major inconsistencies which make the whole thing confusing as hell. Apparently they are planning to make one more, which will follow the "To Hell and Back" and probably "Blue Eyes" story arcs. These mostly involve more "new" characters and will very likely flop in the box office since this sequel wasn't well received. It's a shame that they didn't put these all out around the same time, because I believe they would have been more successful.
Eraserhead (1977). I've seen the movie once before. A local theatre is doing a David Lynch retrospective series so I went to see it on a big screen. A much different experience. I'm not going to rate the movie cause it doesn't really seem fitting. I will say that the biggest difference between the home viewing experience and the theatre experience is the soundtrack; a home viewing does not capture the atmosphere of the film's soundtrack at all.
Considering getting drunk and watching the original 3 Mad Max movies later today...
Saw Deliver Us From Evil in the movie theatre.It's about possession and exorcism in this modern time.It was a cool movie to watch,even with my thoughts at some points ''this was a way to obvious feature to put in a horrormovie''.
I give credits to the make up artist,that was done incredibily good!

...and the music of The Doors,will never be the same!

Trailer:
Videodrome (1983). 35 mm viewing at a local theatre. A very pure film and one of the better films I've seen in a long time. (Caught it recently for the first time so it's newer to me)
After seeing last years outstanding movie The Conjuring,I had already a feeling that there was some sort of part 2 in the works with a feature in the mentioned movie called Annabelle.The possessed doll who had a only small part.
And there it is,a new movie called Annabelle.In the theatre early october.

Watched the trailer and I don't expect this movie will be as awesome as The Conjuring,I still want to see it anyway.
The Beyond (1981). Italian horror "classic." Not really my thing. I don't appreciate movies that are more artsy and compromise on story. Hence my hesitations with Argento as well (outside of Suspiria).
Except this time I want to discuss (generally considered to be) disturbing movies...

allot of the ones I've seen are on this list...

does anyone know of any more similar films available to watch free on Netflix or youtube? which? and why did you find them disturbing?

http://www.listal.com/list/totally-fcked...ms-disturb
Interstellar. Really enjoyed this one. Very emotional ride that has ups and downs throughout the movie. Christopher Nolan has to be one of the better directors out there today. He has vision and uses classic films as inspiration instead of re-hashing the same bullshit story over and over again. I recommend this one to fans of sci-fi or cinema in general.
Nightcrawler (2014). Interesting and enjoyable flick. Channels a lot of Taxi Driver at times. A refreshing view. Gyllenhaal played a great character

The Creeping Flesh (1973). A little silly and longwinded towards the end. It's always good to see Lee/Cushing together in a film though.
(11-11-2014, 07:12 PM)Phantasm Wrote: Interstellar. Really enjoyed this one. Very emotional ride that has ups and downs throughout the movie. Christopher Nolan has to be one of the better directors out there today. He has vision and uses classic films as inspiration instead of re-hashing the same bullshit story over and over again. I recommend this one to fans of sci-fi or cinema in general.

Just saw that one day before yestreday, and it was really good. I love all things astronomy as it is, so I knew I would love the flick. Lots of stuff in there about physics that I need to read up on so I can see how accurate they depicted the science behind the film, but it was a great movie no matter how accurate it might or might not be. Black holes and shit always scramble the brain a bit lol
Saw the Star Wars Episode VII teaser trailer. It didn't make me want to see it any more/less. It is the kind of film that is a must see for me because I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy. Can't say I was too happy with what I saw though.
(11-29-2014, 09:17 PM)Phantasm Wrote: Saw the Star Wars Episode VII teaser trailer. It didn't make me want to see it any more/less. It is the kind of film that is a must see for me because I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy. Can't say I saw too happy with what I saw though.

I'm a huge star wars fan, and the teased had the exact opposite effect for me.I loved what I saw, and just cant wait to see this movie. Just seeing the Falcon engaged against some tie-fighters gave me wood! Oh
Skyfall. Re-watched it for the first time since I saw it in the theatre. My opinion fell more from the medium level it was at after the initial viewing. It isn't a Bond movie and the execution is poor. 6/10 at best.
So anyone here watch the last Hobbit movie? I refuse to go see it and will wait for it to come out on Netflix. If you guys have seen it and liked it, then have you read the book before? If you've read the book and still liked the movie, can you tell me how on earth it didn't make you want to puke your fucking guts all over the screen? So pissed off that Hollyweird fucked up one of my favorite books by my favorite author. If they would have just changed the names in the movie, and changed the name of the movie, it would have been decent, but what they made had little to do with the book I love. Hoping some fan makes a version cutting out all the useless shit and turn it into what it's supposed to be.
(12-26-2014, 06:53 PM)Wrecked Neck Wrote: So anyone here watch the last Hobbit movie? I refuse to go see it and will wait for it to come out on Netflix. If you guys have seen it and liked it, then have you read the book before? If you've read the book and still liked the movie, can you tell me how on earth it didn't make you want to puke your fucking guts all over the screen? So pissed off that Hollyweird fucked up one of my favorite books by my favorite author. If they would have just changed the names in the movie, and changed the name of the movie, it would have been decent, but what they made had little to do with the book I love. Hoping some fan makes a version cutting out all the useless shit and turn it into what it's supposed to be.

I planned on going to see it tomorrow actually. I've seen all the LotRs and Hobbits in theaters so I'm going just to complete the cycle. The previous two Hobbit movies are bad. It is very Hollywood; Peter Jackson has get some blame here as well. The screenplays are poorly written, the movies are longwinded. Studios and executives see $$$ and they want to cash in. Logically, it never made any sense to take a book that is half as long as any one of the LotR books and make the same number of movies as they did for the previous series.

Edit: Saw this the other day. Easily the "worst" of the 3 Hobbit movies. A lot of cringe worthy scenes. I suppose if you approached it for pure entertainment value and as someone who never opened the book, maybe you would enjoy it.
(08-12-2014, 02:02 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: Upcoming movie As Above,So Below seems to be an interesting one.The trailer looks promising,I like this style of filming.

Watched this movie the past weekend and am I happy I didn't pay any money for it at the movie theater! Aside from a couple of nice parts and the style it's been filmed in it was a pretty boring and over the top movie.
Skyfall. Why they still make James Bond movies is questionable.Or is it movies under the name James Bond?
It was a good watch although it was a normal action movie.Some parts made me think,really? The metro crash,were did we saw that before? (Die Hard and others).When that helicopter came flying in with loud music on was a bit hilarious (Apocalypse Now).Some other parts were refered to the old Bond movies.
Anyway,of the new generation Bond movies,Skyfall is one of the better ones.Even with the parts they ''lend''.
I went and saw "Big Hero 6" on Saturday with my kid. It was pretty buff.
(09-19-2014, 05:18 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: After seeing last years outstanding movie The Conjuring,I had already a feeling that there was some sort of part 2 in the works with a feature in the mentioned movie called Annabelle.The possessed doll who had a only small part.
And there it is,a new movie called Annabelle.In the theatre early october.

Watched the trailer and I don't expect this movie will be as awesome as The Conjuring,I still want to see it anyway.

This was actually cooler as I thought it would be.At some parts it reminded me of Chucky,a possessed doll and all that.Overall it was a nice watch although the end was pretty predictable.
(01-04-2015, 03:31 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: Skyfall. Why they still make James Bond movies is questionable.Or is it movies under the name James Bond?
It was a good watch although it was a normal action movie.Some parts made me think,really? The metro crash,were did we saw that before? (Die Hard and others).When that helicopter came flying in with loud music on was a bit hilarious (Apocalypse Now).Some other parts were refered to the old Bond movies.
Anyway,of the new generation Bond movies,Skyfall is one of the better ones.Even with the parts they ''lend''.

I completely agree with you here. Skyfall is an OK action movie but, a pretty bad James Bond movie. The intrigue of the series is gone. I'm fine with Craig as the lead man but, the screenplays need some beefing up. Casino Royale is the one I'd pick of the more recent movies
I stand by my opinion that Goldeneye was the last real Bond Film. The other Pierce Brosnan Bond films were good, but they were lacking the character of a Bond film. Daniel Craig's films are good action, but I don't see him as Bond. Rather, what I see him as is a revised version of Bond in a very typical reboot to make the series more "gritty" which is a popular trend these days.
(01-14-2015, 09:06 AM)Messiah X Wrote: I stand by my opinion that Goldeneye was the last real Bond Film. The other Pierce Brosnan Bond films were good, but they were lacking the character of a Bond film. Daniel Craig's films are good action, but I don't see him as Bond. Rather, what I see him as is a revised version of Bond in a very typical reboot to make the series more "gritty" which is a popular trend these days.

Goldeneye definitely has a feel of a Bond film. The further along one goes into the Brosnan films, the more ridiculous it became (largely to the point of being unwatchable). For me its strange because I'm largely detached from the older movies nowadays as they come across as being rather silly. Dr. No, Goldfinger, Live and Let Die, and maybe From Russia with Love all stand pretty strong, but most of the others are hit or miss. I was always a little more receptive to the Dalton films as they are a little more modern, yet still Bond films.
(01-14-2015, 09:30 AM)Phantasm Wrote: Goldeneye definitely has a feel of a Bond film. The further along one goes into the Brosnan films, the more ridiculous it became (largely to the point of being unwatchable). For me its strange because I'm largely detached from the older movies nowadays as they come across as being rather silly. Dr. No, Goldfinger, Live and Let Die, and maybe From Russia with Love all stand pretty strong, but most of the others are hit or miss. I was always a little more receptive to the Dalton films as they are a little more modern, yet still Bond films.

Dalton is a weird one for me because in my opinion he made one of the best (License to Kill) and one of the worst (Living Daylights) bond films. The rest of the new ones have just tried to become too gritty while also trying to maintain the over-the-top gimmicky stuff. It just doesn't work. Sure, when Roger Moore was fighting voodoo priests or a steel toothed giant in space, it was fun because it was so surreal and ridiculous. He could fall hundreds of feet while battling enemies mid air and land without a scuff on his jacket. Now when they try to draw the same caricatures with modern special effects and their trendy new grit filters, it just doesn't work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General Film & Merch Purchases Heavy Thrashhead 0 104 11-14-2017, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Heavy Thrashhead
  The Dark Tower Film Speedball 1 178 07-03-2016, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Spirit in Black