The Trap of MLM/Pyramid Schemes (e.g. Amway, Melaleuca, Avon, Herbalife)
A few people I know in public (who I thought were alright) turned out to be Amway shills. They suddenly started being "nice" to me and wanting to know my phone number. One of them already wants to get coffee with me to discuss their glamorous "business" and how I can "succeed" (i.e. buy a bunch of crap I don't need, when I should be using my money wisely).

I've read about Amway and other multi-level marketing corporations in the past, back when I was out of high school and broke. The recession hit us hard, I was struggling for years to get a job at even the crappiest retail stores (I'd only get one or two interviews after hundreds of applications), and I was desperate to have at least SOME income. I almost fell for it when I heard about a so-called "work for yourself" opportunity online.

The recruiter contacted me and went through all sorts of crap about how I'd have to buy from a specific source to resell later. The thing is that you shouldn't have to pay to work -- you work to get paid. After finding out that I was about to be scammed and potentially end up in debt, I politely declined to be a part of this whole thing, which I found unethical to the deeds of a hard worker.

It's also bad enough that the rich get away with tax cuts, but it's worse yet when average people like you and I get suckered into thinking that we can be these so-called "rich, independent entrepreneurs", and all because they think they'll finally have the last laugh at their jobs. We've seen how Google controls the Internet, thus YouTube content creators are affected and not making as much money as they used to, for one reason or another.

Here's a video demonstrating the cult-like tendencies of Amway and others in general:
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
Married to an Ambot is a very hilarious, albeit testimonial blog on a wife who had to put up with her husband's cult obsession with Amway, only to find out the real, hard truth later on. Love her snark, definitely.
My brother got sucked into Amway. He lost a lot of money. He's a financial disaster. He doesn't know how to budget his money, even though my mom taught him how to. He's also in debt (he'll be in debt until the day he dies).
That fucking sucks. I spoke to some retired folks I know, and they were astonished that Amway still exists in some shape or form. WTF?
This shit is still going on? I remember it was a big thing overhere in the 90's.
(06-15-2019, 02:06 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: This shit is still going on? I remember it was a big thing overhere in the 90's.

And here in the 80's, humans never learn.
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

(06-15-2019, 02:06 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: This shit is still going on? I remember it was a big thing overhere in the 90's.
Of course! Who doesn't love money and "being their own boss"? Wink