[Traditional Speed Metal] Agent Steel (US)
Since there is a "new" thing going on under the name Masters Of Metal, I think we should have an Agent Steel thread on. For first I don't know if we should put it on US Power Metal, since (for me) the term "Speed Metal" is somehow "strange" but we're used to see Agent Steel mentioned mainly as Speed Metal, but also US Power Metal and Thrash Metal.

Formed back in 1984 they released 2 amazing records. Sometimes they were described as Iron Maiden on 45 rpm and their main characteristics were the high pitched voice of mysterious singer John Cyriis and the alien themes they had in their lyrics.

They disbanded around 1988 and reunited ten years after. Rumors said that Cyriis has the rights of the Agent Steel name and after the supposed reunion (with Cyriis) around 2010, the band stopped using the Agent Steel name, and now we have Masters Of Metal.

Of course, Skeptics Apocalypse and Unstoppable Force are my fave ones, but I like all of their albums.

Discography:
1985 - Skeptics Apocalypse
1986 - Mad Locust Rising EP
1987 - Unstoppable Force
1999 - Omega Conspiracy
2003 - Order Of The Illuminati
2007 - Alienigma

Some of the best Agent Steel songs:
Bleed for the Godz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRXXfkb7XCo
144.000 Gone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOq-ZW6FiOY
Rager: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emp_svWTUMk
Quote this message in a reply
Love Agent Steel! With all singers.Although Cyriis has a very cool voice,I prefer Bruce Hall. Bernie Versailles does a great job on vocals nowadays with Masters Of Metal.

They started out as a speed metal band with the first 2 albums but the newer stuff has more of a thrashvibe.
I'd consider those two albums power/thrash metal.

The first album is certainly Iron Maiden-inspired, whereas the second one is much closer to Attacker, Nasty Savage, Overkill, Liege Lord, and many others.
Visit this user's website
I fucking love their debut album, me personally, i think their debut album is more closer to speed/power metal than power/thrash metal, it's got a thrash metal vibe, but it's a just little more melodic, not that i'm saying thrash metal is not melodic, now i'm not sure about the rest of their releases since i've not heard 'em in full, so my mind is very open 'til then.

I'm still wanting to get ahold of "Unstopable Force".

I almost forgot that i heard their "Mad Locus Rising" ep, wich is very more power/thrash metal.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
(03-22-2014, 01:18 AM)Heavy Thrashhead Wrote: I fucking love their debut album, me personally, i think their debut album is more closer to speed/power metal than power/thrash metal, it's got a thrash metal vibe, but it's a just little more melodic, not that i'm saying thrash metal is not melodic, now i'm not sure about the rest of their releases since i've not heard 'em in full, so my mind is very open 'til then.

I'm still wanting to get ahold of "Unstopable Force".

I almost forgot that i heard their "Mad Locus Rising" ep, wich is very more power/thrash metal.
If you ask me, my definition for power metal is "melodic speed metal". I think power/thrash metal suits those first two albums. American power metal generally borders on thrash metal more than heavy metal, anyway, so it's a fair classification.
Their EP is so good, I love their cover of "The Ripper." The debut is awesome as well.
(05-07-2014, 09:55 PM)Spirit Crusher Wrote: Their EP is so good, I love their cover of "The Ripper." The debut is awesome as well.
It's a good cover, but it didn't really surprise me all that much.

Kind of a shame that these are the only two worthwhile albums (in my opinion) that Agent Steel will ever release in their entire run. I wasn't all that impressed with Masters of Metal.
(05-07-2014, 10:07 PM)Painkiller Wrote: It's a good cover, but it didn't really surprise me all that much.

Kind of a shame that these are the only two worthwhile albums (in my opinion) that Agent Steel will ever release in their entire run. I wasn't all that impressed with Masters of Metal.

I haven't checked out anything after the EP and I didn't even know they changed their name til I saw this thread.
(05-07-2014, 10:14 PM)Spirit Crusher Wrote: I haven't checked out anything after the EP and I didn't even know they changed their name til I saw this thread.
They continued the band as Masters of Metal, but John Cyriis wasn't brought in.

Here's a song from their 2013 EP:
Doesn't sound bad but doesn't sound like Agent Steel. One of the reasons why I like band is the vocals from their early stuff.
Agent Steel are one of my TOP favourite bands, I am glad I got to see them back at Dynamo Open Air festival 10 years ago, what an experience. Only better if John Cyriis was there but I like Bruce Hall, Order of the Iluminati is spectacular return to form!
Does anyone have the Argentinean repress of Skeptics Apocalypse? I'm concerned about the sound quality but it seems to be the only easily available CD Version.
I own the 2010 Del Imaginario Discos repress, i don't know how the 2008 century media remaster sounds (since the 2010 repress has the exact same tracklisting) so i can't compare there but i know it sounds pretty damn loud, so i'm not sure if i could really recromend it to anyone who wants uncompressed dynamic range sound quality.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
Read any Century Media Records reissue as a red flag for sound quality.
Damn this is not good.... Sad

His work for Agent Steel was great, an underrated guitarist. I hope he pulls through, what a horrible thing to happen. Been thinking about him since many hours ago.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/det...sid=106919
Some people have lost their way - Some people have lost their mind
That's horrible, one of my oldest friends' wife had an aneurysm a few years ago. She survived but has never been the same, not good news at all...
"I saw Kirk Hammet pick up Tiny Tim's ukulele and play some Metallica solos...sounded JUST like the record..."

"If you listen to BM, but you don’t know what phase the moon is in, or what wild flowers are blooming then you have failed. It is shocking to me that one could be seriously interested in Black Metal and not be deeply committed to radical ecology."
Oh no... Sad

This is horrible! Bernie is a nice guy and a great guitarplayer.Hopefully he recovers fast and without not too much damage.

From the Redemption facebook page:

Friends -

I have been struggling with whether or not to comment about our friend and bandmate Bernie's condition as it is first and foremost a matter for him and his family. However, the news has gotten out, and we have had many expressions of concern and support, so I wanted to acknowledge them. And it's therefore time at this point to talk a bit about our friend, while keeping details at the appropriate level.

As I understand it, Bernie felt nauseous on Saturday, which as it turns out is a warning sign for an aneurism, but who would have known? He slept that evening and through the next day when some friends found him and were unable to wake him. They noticed blood, called an ambulance, and had him brought to a hospital, where surgery was performed. Surgery went well but he remains in very serious condition at this time (that is not a hospital's designation -- that is meant literally: it is very serious). Out of respect for Bernie and his family, this is as much information as I am comfortable sharing.

Bernie is young and in otherwise good health, and those are favorable factors for recovery. I do not have details on the severity of Bernie's condition upon arrival, which is the other factor. Evidently an aneurism is not something that needs to be attended to within half an hour of happening; surgery is typically performed within 24 hours, so it is certainly possible that everything will be fine.

As any fan of Redemption, Agent Steel, Engine or Bernie's other projects knows, he is immensely talented. Those of us who know him can also attest that he is incredibly kind, gentle, humble, funny, giving and a dozen other adjectives. He has two beautiful children and a long-time girlfriend who need him. He has a lot of music left in him. He's also a fighter.

I would ask that those of you who consider yourselves religious, keep Bernie and his family in your prayers, and for those of you who are not religious, send positive thoughts. My hope is that I will be able to update you very soon and let you know that Bernie is recovering and doing well.

Thanks for you concerns.

Nick van Dyk

https://www.facebook.com/RedemptionBand
Hell yeah! He's doing a little better.

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=13384

Quote:As reported last week, AGENT STEEL/REDEMPTION guitarist Bernie Versailles suffered an aneurysm and was in a coma. REDEMPTION guitarist/founder Nick van Dyk has checked in once again with an update on Versailles' condition:

"Bernie is making progress; it is still far too early to make any predictions but his condition appears to be improved. I do know that his family is very thankful for all the support and concern that is being showed by his fans and friends -- thank you very much!

Bernie is young and in otherwise good health, and those are favorable factors for recovery. Evidently an aneurysm is not something that needs to be attended to within half an hour of happening; surgery is typically performed within 24 hours, so it is certainly possible that everything will be fine.
Some people have lost their way - Some people have lost their mind
That is good to hear!
Although he has still a long way to go.
I heard about that earlier this month, I hope he can pull through this. One of the best guitarists in one of the best bands ever!!
This is the Get Well fund, please donate if you can (I put my part) http://www.youcaring.com/other/bernie-ve...und/249304
No health insurance?
Agent Steel is one of most influential power/speed/thrash metal bands of all time. Their first two albums are absolute classics that easily decimate a huge sum of their peers, especially when you hear the powerful voice of John Cyriis.

On those albums, the band is lethal and unstoppable -- don't expect to sit through each of them without trying your darndest to fight the urge to headbang like a lunatic. This is SPEED METAL that knows no bounds!

Unstoppable Force, in my humble opinion, is PERFECT. The title track, "Never Surrender", "Still Searchin'", and "Rager" are just some of the behemoths. Everything about this album, again, is flawless.

I only wish that the remasters didn't sound so damn loud, because classic albums don't deserve to be butchered by careless audio engineers.

Also, the Mad Locust Rising EP deserves a mention. The Judas Priest cover is also ace.

Also, I acknowledge that they released a couple of more albums afterwards, but I haven't heard them all to form my honest opinions on them.
I only know the first two albums. Unstoppable was my first, but I think that their debut might be my favorite. A more raw and rough around the edges album. Both do kick ass though. I've been meaning to hunt down the lps for some time now.
Hooooboy that was some thrashin'. I need to listen to them more.
(05-04-2015, 11:57 AM)Painkiller Wrote: Also, the Mad Locust Rising EP deserves a mention. The Judas Priest cover is also ace.

Also, I acknowledge that they released a couple of more albums afterwards, but I haven't heard them all to form my honest opinions on them.

Damn...that's James Murphy ripping in that video! Now Playing
"I saw Kirk Hammet pick up Tiny Tim's ukulele and play some Metallica solos...sounded JUST like the record..."

"If you listen to BM, but you don’t know what phase the moon is in, or what wild flowers are blooming then you have failed. It is shocking to me that one could be seriously interested in Black Metal and not be deeply committed to radical ecology."
(05-04-2015, 03:03 PM)Speedball Wrote: Damn...that's James Murphy ripping in that video! Now Playing
Yeah, I noticed that. Agent Steel was his first proper band, although he only played shows from 1987 to 1988. Bernie Versailles either got fired from or left the band at that time, but his playing on Unstoppable Force definitely upped Agent Steel's game.
Agents of steeeeaaaalllllllllllll!!!!!!!!! *high pitched voice*
Mad Locust Rising

The Priest cover rules!
(05-05-2015, 08:02 PM)HecTheWreck Wrote: Mad Locust Rising

The Priest cover rules!
LET IT BE DONE!

Few other bands could ever pull off a Judas Priest classic. Another band that did it right for me was Hellion's cover of "Exciter".
That is a tough one,I like all albums.Every single album has their own reason to love them.The vocals,the music,some songs that really kick serious balls,the whole vibe,etc.
My vote went to other and that will be the album Order Of The Illuminati.From all the AS albums is this the one that I enjoy the most.The song Ten Fists Of Nations just rules! Not only musically,vocal wise aswell.

Skeptics Apocalypse, but is good also Unstoppable Force. Now Playing
(05-05-2015, 10:50 PM)Spirit in Black Wrote: That is a tough one,I like all albums.Every single album has their own reason to love them.The vocals,the music,some songs that really kick serious balls,the whole vibe,etc.
My vote went to other and that will be the album Order Of The Illuminati.From all the AS albums is this the one that I enjoy the most.The song Ten Fists Of Nations just rules! Not only musically,vocal wise aswell.
Judging from that song alone, I don't really like it too much. There are some classic Agent Steel elements thrown in, but the whole song doesn't quite escape its own universe. The vocals are way too grungy for me to enjoy, as well.
(05-13-2015, 06:58 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Judging from that song alone, I don't really like it too much. There are some classic Agent Steel elements thrown in, but the whole song doesn't quite escape its own universe. The vocals are way too grungy for me to enjoy, as well.

I understand,the song is different as the usual Agent Steel songs.Personally,I love this song.

Have you heard the whole album ''Order Of The Illuminati''?
I love Agent Steel, they are just the perfect Sound for me... Fast, deadly riffs and a deadly BEE (hahah) Voice Smile

Skeptics Apocalypse & Unstoppable Force are just 100% perfect in my humble opinion.
I saw them On Omega Tour, I will always think I will never see The REAL Agent Steel on stage

Rager, Never Surrender, Agents of steel, Taken by Force and many more... Perfect to headbang!
HARD & HEAVY METAL HITS RADIO

Playing the Best Hard Rock, Melodic Rock, AOR, Heavy Metal, NWOBHM, Power Metal, Speed Metal & Thrash Metal
(05-14-2015, 03:03 AM)Spirit in Black Wrote: I understand,the song is different as the usual Agent Steel songs.Personally,I love this song.

Have you heard the whole album ''Order Of The Illuminati''?
I only heard that one song that you posted. Like I said, it didn't really do anything for me, so I probably won't like the rest of the album.

I may consider doing a full listen, but I don't expect it to have the same impact as the first two albums -- the albums that stylistically set them apart from all other bands at the time.
(05-14-2015, 11:42 AM)Painkiller Wrote: I only heard that one song that you posted. Like I said, it didn't really do anything for me, so I probably won't like the rest of the album.

I may consider doing a full listen, but I don't expect it to have the same impact as the first two albums — the albums that stylistically set them apart from all other bands at the time.

No it doesn't have the same impact as the first two albums.OOTI is from 2003,different time,different singer,different musical approach,etc,etc.
You probably won't like it then wich is ok,we don't have to like the same music.
I've blasted their 85-87 stuff so much it broke my speakers! Tongue
Got around to checking out the Mad Locust Rising DVD, and it's just phenomenal stuff. I'm quite impressed that John Cyriis could still maintain most of his pipes without any studio magic involved. I do find it a bit amusing that almost everyone is wearing orange jumpsuits.
I've never seen this before as a whole show,awesome!!! Hand
I'm a big fan of this group, the original albums and the reunion albums.

I'm probably all alone here, but my favorite album they did was "Omega Conspiracy".
Burning Leather has a new line of Agent Steel merch up for pre-order. I'm really thinking of getting the Skeptics hoodie.

https://burningleather.bigcartel.com/
@glovesofmetal (Instagram)
Fun speed metal! I like blasting them while I drive. I remember my friend (who likes black metal a lot) wasn't liking them. He didn't like the vocals. This was the song I was playing in the car while we were on our way to see Cannibal Corpse:

Fuck yeah! Can't wait to check out the upcoming album. Speed Metal
Quote:Reformed '80s metallers AGENT STEEL, featuring original vocalist John Cyriis, will perform at the Keep It True festival in Lauda-Königshofen, Germany at the end of April and at the Metalheadz Open Air festival on June 1 in Oberndorf am Lech, Germany.

According to a press release, Cyriis and his new bandmates "are ready to deliver a speed metal supernova to those who choose to attend this mighty day of metal glory. The new AGENT STEEL band will deliver a neck-breaking set of quilted gems from the three classic AGENT STEEL albums as well as a performance bonus of four new songs, hand-picked from the all-new forthcoming AGENT STEEL album titled '8 Lights Protocol', tentatively scheduled for a September 2019 release on a soon-to-be-announced record label."
First see if Cyriis makes it to play the festival.It isn't the first time he cancels a show.I'm curious at the new album,if it's in the same vein as Agent Steel itself or something completely different.It's Cyriis,you never know what to expect Wink
Who is in this band w/ him?
(01-22-2019, 08:30 AM)FinalShawn Wrote: Who is in this band w/ him?

Still no info on that.

Eight Lights Over Europe Tour - 2019
—Phase 1—

From facebook:

Join the Greatest, and truest, all new Agent Steel...aported by an ascended Living Master - bringing out the band...to do what they do best - which is “Master Thrashing” - at the Lisboa, Portugal RCA club...
The show will feature a Speed/Thrash Extravaganza...fronted by the one, and only - founder/vocalist of Agent Steel - “the legendary soprano” Mr. John (Luciano Pavarotti of Metal) Cyriis - who will be joined by the New Masters of Steel, being the new Agents (the lineup’s identity >to be disclosed by First Contact - exclusively, on April 24, 2019 at The dynamo, Eindhoven, NL) who are Ready To Rock, and Thrash...the Living Night Lights our of Lisboa...

Agent Steel’s performance in Lisboa is promised to be a Speed Metal Extravaganza not to be forgotten...anytime soon!

So, be there to witness history in the making by John, and his New Masters!

Still vague as ever...
We'll see what happens. Hard to imagine Agent Steel without Bernie Versailles and the others, but it could prove to be a new lease in life for John Cyriis, equipped with a set of new musicians he could push to their limits.

It's possible for a band to survive as a brand. Consistency is most important.
He needs someone to write his PR for him....that's atrocious.