[USPM] Restless Breed (US)
Restless Breed is a recently reactivated American power/speed/thrash metal band, thanks to Stormspell Records' 2012 reissue of their three demos from the late 1980s.

For fans of Hallows Eve, Nasty Savage, Slauter Xstroyes, Omen, and Manilla Road.

Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
Listening to the demos again. Much better than how I remembered them. Anyone who's into any of Hallows Eve's first three albums should check them out. The vocals definitely bring out that vibe in me, combined with the technical aggression of the likes of Manilla Road.

I couldn't find "In Sanity (You Suffer)" on YouTube, so I'll just post "Matter over Mind". Enjoy!
I will second that all the songs on that compilation are killer. Nice write up in the booklet that gives a very well done run down of the band and all the members it went through.
As the songs are presented in reverse chronological order, you can hear a large change in the way Dave Cowgill presented his vocals. In 1989, he had a more straight forward guttural sound and that is present in the 8 tracks from the "No Walls Can Hold" demo; whereas he has a more falsetto approach to the 1987 "After The Holocaust" demo.
I realize that a number of the songs that appeared on the "All Did Fall" demo resurfaced on "No Walls Can Hold" demo the next year, but their non appearance (with the exception of Those That Never Were) is the only thing that I find a bit off about this anthology.
Of all the guitar players this band had, I will say the lead work by Mike Ulery catches my ears the most.
Though the actual sound quality is not that great, the youtube videos of the band performing recently show the still have mad playing skills and are very tight. Even Cowgill sounds great, all these years later.
(08-06-2015, 08:37 PM)metalken Wrote: I will second that all the songs on that compilation are killer. Nice write up in the booklet that gives a very well done run down of the band and all the members it went through.
As the songs are presented in reverse chronological order, you can hear a large change in the way Dave Cowgill presented his vocals. In 1989, he had a more straight forward guttural sound and that is present in the 8 tracks from the "No Walls Can Hold" demo; whereas he has a more falsetto approach to the 1987 "After The Holocaust" demo.
I realize that a number of the songs that appeared on the "All Did Fall" demo resurfaced on "No Walls Can Hold" demo the next year, but their non appearance (with the exception of Those That Never Were) is the only thing that I find a bit off about this anthology.
Of all the guitar players this band had, I will say the lead work by Mike Ulery catches my ears the most.
Though the actual sound quality is not that great, the youtube videos of the band performing recently show the still have mad playing skills and are very tight. Even Cowgill sounds great, all these years later.
The CD itself runs just past seventy minutes, so it could've been the format's own limitations. I'm pretty iffy about having to switch discs to continue an album, but it is what it is. No Walls Can Hold is a definite improvement, and you're correct that Dave Cowgill was doing more guttural vocals than his earlier falsettos -- that really brought Hallows Eve's style in mind.

Their profile on Metal Archives is pretty off, such as the lack of lyrics and the few band members who were left out of the roster. Scott Deem was one of the guitarists who co-wrote and recorded "Don't Let the Night Fall" for the After the Holocaust demo. Sadly, it was the only known song featuring Deem, as he'd just been killed in a drunk driving accident.
I see your point about the time limitations. Still would like to hear if the versions of In Sanity, All Did Fall, Seven Seals Of Fate, and The River Runs Red were much different as Art Taylor played on the '89 demo and Ulery played on the '88 demo.
(08-06-2015, 10:22 PM)metalken Wrote: I see your point about the time limitations. Still would like to hear if the versions of In Sanity, All Did Fall, Seven Seals Of Fate, and The River Runs Red were much different as Art Taylor played on the '89 demo and Ulery played on the '88 demo.
Production-wise, I know that All Will Fall suffers the most. Do you know anyone who still owns the demos? Perhaps they could upload the remaining songs online for everyone to hear. Better than nothing.

Also, I believe that Stormspell Records was only going for the best-possible versions of each song, as they often remaster the tapes. I know that the Stryctnyne album sounds a bit different from the original demos, for instance.