[USPM] Tyrant (US)
Tyrant is an American power metal band. Not to be confused with the soon-to-be Jag Panzer (or any other bands by that name), this one Tyrant is a beast in its own league. What makes Legions of the Dead sound like a purely simple form of heavy metal, sophomore release Too Late to Pray tops it all the way -- by blending elements of power, speed, and even doom -- into one (it's my favorite release of theirs).

While the vocals of Glen May are quite shot these days, it was the opposite case on their aforementioned recordings! Rocky Rockwell's an underrated guitarist, too; his goofy looks are CERTAINLY compensated by his uncanny ability to play such intricate guitar riffs and solos. Listen to his leads on "Warriors of Metal", "Into the Flames", and "Eve of Destruction" -- crazy shit!

I've heard a lot of rave reviews for King of Kings, but I am feeling picky about it -- because it came out nearly a decade after the legendary Too Late to Pray, I don't think I will enjoy it very much. Even the album cover turns me off, but I'm probably just biased...

Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
Classic US heavy metal.
Too late to pray is an instant classic!
Too Late to Pray has substantial elements of doom metal, speed metal, and even power metal. I can't get enough of "Into the Flames" or "Eve of Destruction"!
This thread is about the Tyrant from Pasadena, California, one of the best heavy/power metal bands of all time for me.

Tyrant formed in 1978, but didn't release anything until a self-titled demo in 1982, containing no such songs that would resurface on subsequent releases. A year later, they contributed an earlier version of the song "The Battle of Armageddon" -- titled as simply "Armageddon" -- to Brian Slagel's third installment of the Metal Massacre compilation albums of various then-upcoming bands.

In 1985, signed to Metal Blade Records, Tyrant recorded and released Legions of the Dead -- with a better production job to top it all off. The whole album is a fierce assault of deadly USPM, wrapped around the insane vocal chords of Glen May and Rocky Rockwell's crushing, epic riffs that made them a larger-than-life act for me. All songs are at least very good, from the galloping "Warriors of Metal" to the mystifying doom of "Sacrifice".

Come the year 1987, the band issued Too Late to Pray, their second -- and last -- of the vintage Metal Blade Records catalog. This time around, they've incorporated more typical elements of doom metal, progressive metal, and even thrash metal. Keep in mind that they're none of the aforementioned three in style, but there are some dead giveaways that vary from one song to the next. "Babylon" is a great example of a doomy song, but then you have the title track and "Into the Flames" for that speedy heavy metal mayhem fix!

Nearly a decade later, the band would get back together to release King of Kings, but I've heard very little of it to make an informed opinion of it. For what it's worth, you'd probably be better off just listening to their first two albums. Keep in mind that they released King of Kings much later into the 1990s, so I wouldn't expect it to have the same quality of songwriting as Legions of the Dead or Too Late to Pray.

As of now, the band is still active, but they appear to only be doing shows.
Fucking awesome.