WWIII (US) - (1990) WWIII - 8/10
Artist: WWIII (US)
Release: WWIII (1990)
Rating: 8/10

Well, this album is certainly a one-of-a-kind deal. Although the lyrics and imagery might suggest that WWIII was just another "cock rock" band from Los Angeles, the raging, thunderous vocals of German-native screamer Mandy Lion will have you grabbed firmly by the balls, never letting go until the final note of this album.

Basically, just imagine Udo Dirkschneider arm wrestling with Rob Halford, and Paul Di'Anno watching the two participants with a bottle in hand. Udo cheated, Halford beat the shit out of him, and Di'Anno smeared the two with whatever was left of his beer. That's pretty much how I'd describe Mandy Lion's voice, really. I know some people won't dig his style of singing, but I find his style to be more original than most of his peers.

"Time for Terror" starts the album off with an eerie sliding guitar part played by then-future Dio member Tracy Grijalva. What follows it is some truly crushing proto-thrash metal stuff that, combined with Mandy Lion's ruthless voice, sets the right mood for a sinister evening.

The album features two familiar faces that most heavy metal fans will know: drummer Vinny Appice (ex-Black Sabbath, ex-Dio) and bassist Jimmy Bain (ex-Rainbow, ex-Dio). You know that since these guys are featured, the album's going to be promising -- and you're right about that. The production is slick -- all four members are audible throughout. There are some groovy songs that don't lose their touch, with some of the best examples being "Love You to Death" and "The Harder They Come". I wasn't big on the "Children of the Revolution" song, but it's far from bad.

Anyway, the rest of this album is consistent with just the following in mind: sex, drugs, and rock and roll! The lyrics are dirty, but the vocals are even more so.
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
I really didn't like this album at all (and not the singer's voice either) but I loved what was close to this lineup when they played on "Strange Highways".
There's times where the singer sort of sounds like Alice Cooper. He kind of even has that Alice Cooper look going on as well. The old school Undertaker from WWE (when it was called WWF) comes to mind and The Undertaker even made his debut in the WWE in 1990. I love the songs Time for Terror and Children of the Revolution. Oh yeah, this album is heavy metal with fucking balls (steel balls). Sooooooo heavy!